• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2020

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Broad England’s player of the summer for me. Remember the 2nd test against the Windies and they just needed to see off the new ball to secure the draw, and the series, but Broad blew the game open and England have gone from strength to strength from there.

Really enjoyed these test matches. Shame it ends tomorrow and we’ve nothing coming anytime soon.

the big bambino

International Captain
Interesting but obviously biased opinions.
Regarding Stokes, perhaps if the charge had been for assault rather than affray the jury might have come to a different finding. It's also interesting that one of the 'victims' (Ryan Ali) was also charged with affray. You state that Stokes wasn't defending anyone yet two men (Kai Barry and William O'Connor) have stated otherwise. After Stokes' trial, he and Ali shook hands.
Defending them from what though? Was Ali beating them up? Is there film of Stokes walking up to one of the pair and thumping him while he was backing off with his hands in the air? If that's so its little different to a coward punch. I mean did Stokes end a fight - or start it in the first place?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair comments big bambino. We can only go on that which has been shown (CTV vision) and that which the media has reported.

Is Stokes's crime any worse than Warner's punching of Root?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well yes. I mean, he’s lucky he was charged with affray and not assault occasioning in company. It was a genuinely atrocious episode. If the ECB had any stones he’d have been banned from repping them, regardless of the outcome.

but tbf good players in any sport get a rails run compared with those deemed more dispensable.

the big bambino

International Captain
Fair comments big bambino. We can only go on that which has been shown (CTV vision) and that which the media has reported.

Is Stokes's crime any worse than Warner's punching of Root?
Don’t know re the comparison with Root. Was it as bad idk. I don’t believe Root was actually hurt and was sorted without recourse to law. I’m not condoning or downplaying for Warner. Yeah I like him but he can be a dick. But I don’t think it was as bad or menacing as Stokes’ effort.

Shady Slim

International Coach
late on it but pitching in on the discourse from the other day

if anderson gets his average to 26 by running through oppo batting lineups at home and then being cotton wooled for away tests that’ll do nothing for his legacy; arguably it could even tarnish it by making him look like a big softie which would be very unfair for a guy who, while he has sucked bowling in places like oz, has to every credit flown here every time and put in the hard yards (while he has been by and large impotent here also to his credit he seems to do a good containing job, which isn’t enough for your ostensibly lead seamer but is more than many of his compatriots)

to me and to i assume most

only thing that he could do to properly elevate his standing in to that elite tier is to dominate an australian side on australian turf

really it’s an unfair task given “objectively” australia is just another away opposition, but in the context of the ashes and the game his black mark of poor performances here is always looming large

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But he has not been flash in NZ either right? If anything, I would be ok in calling him an ATG if he can dominate in a place like NZ which ostensibly should favor his style of bowling. If Australia and India were his only black marks, I don't think it would stop me calling him an ATG. Its his failures in NZ etc. that stops that IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The only time we won in Oz this century he was awesome. Our first Test win in India in 25 years back in 06 came on the back of his first innings bowling, and he played a key role in our win there in 2012.

No doubt he's struggled with conditions abroad at times over the years, including sometimes in places you'd back him to do well but the 'always sucked in Australia' thing selectively ignores one of English crickets landmark series of the modern age.

I'd have to look at the numbers but my memory even of 13-14 was that him and Broad often got us into decent positions before Haddin rescued Oz. And every time in the second innings we were bowling with a 200 run deficit, which when you're facing David Warner is a recipe for disaster.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
The only time we won in Oz this century he was awesome. Our first Test win in India in 25 years back in 06 came on the back of his first innings bowling, and he played a key role in our win there in 2012.

No doubt he's struggled with conditions abroad at times over the years, including sometimes in places you'd back him to do well but the 'always sucked in Australia' thing selectively ignores one of English crickets landmark series of the modern age.

I'd have to look at the numbers but my memory even of 13-14 was that him and Broad often got us into decent positions before Haddin rescued Oz. And every time in the second innings we were bowling with a 200 run deficit, which when you're facing David Warner is a recipe for disaster.
He wasn't great in 13/14, definitely didn't stand up at important moments. Broad was pretty great throughout.

He was however our best bowler in 2017/18 by quite a way. Broad and Jimmy were sort of the reverse on each occasion.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I remember Broad having a good series in 13/14. I even started a thread asking if he was now our best bowler.

Howe_zat

Audio File

But what if I want to ignore facts and repeat myself with the same glib one liner for 10 years

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think the wickets got shared around very nicely in 2010 between Anderson, Tremlett, Bresnan and Swann but yeah Anderson was probably the standout. He did bowl very well in 2017 but there was no support at all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think the wickets got shared around very nicely in 2010 between Anderson, Tremlett, Bresnan and Swann but yeah Anderson was probably the standout. He did bowl very well in 2017 but there was no support at all.
24 @ 26. Others had better averages but didn't play the full series.

He also kept it tight, only Swann had a better economy. Strangled them, especially later in the series.