• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it looks like I underestimated Ricky a little. Would personally have put on 50+ more runs in the first innings and waited for Hauritz to get treated, but in the end he made the right call, so kudos.

I personally disagree, though, with your assessments of his captaincy in those three series. His captaincy in India was dodgy at times, but I don't think any captain would've been able to make an impression with such an anodyne bowling attack. His captaincy against SA in 2008/2009 wasn't too bad - he certainly out-captained Smith (not that hard to do), insofar as changing things up and looking for ways to get wickets when SA got on top, rather than letting the game drift like Smith consistently did. Against England, his captaincy was slightly flawed but generally fairly good. His declaration at Cardiff, given the weather, turned out to be very nearly correct - until his bowlers failed him at the end.

He is a little defensive at times, but he didn't unilaterally defend like say, Steve Waugh unilaterally attacked.

...and Hauritz finally got a 5-fer. This should cement his place for the time being, although there's no real competition to begin with. He's not gonna go the way of Nixon McLean then.
Out captaining the opposite number in terms of strategies is different to what I was talking about. There is no question of his cricketing brain and strategies..he is a very intelligent cricketer like most Australian captains..What I was talking about was exemplified by Chris Gayle in this series..his game plans and strategies might have been flawed but his attitude and approach was attacking and positive. He gave the impression that he had little to lose...and was not going to be intimidated by a superior team, instead punish them when they deserve it. When you opt for Michael Clarke instead of Brett Lee to speed up the over rate and prevent fines at the cost of a test match..thats timid and negative in my opinion.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dossa, have no idea what you're thinking but that's completely unacceptable. Have deleted all related posts and will take it up in the mod forum to see if any further action will be taken.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Out captaining the opposite number in terms of strategies is different to what I was talking about. There is no question of his cricketing brain and strategies..he is a very intelligent cricketer like most Australian captains..What I was talking about was exemplified by Chris Gayle in this series..his game plans and strategies might have been flawed but his attitude and approach was attacking and positive. He gave the impression that he had little to lose...and was not going to be intimidated by a superior team, instead punish them when they deserve it. When you opt for Michael Clarke instead of Brett Lee to speed up the over rate and prevent fines at the cost of a test match..thats timid and negative in my opinion.
Ah, that's what you meant. Yes, he was prone to doing that. Perth and Nagpur 2008 are good examples of such. Faced with fines and possible suspension or a Test match loss, he chose the latter. Flawed decisions, but understandable.

That hasn't been a problem this year though, from memory.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
simply disappointed...........kind a depressed.....
Ah, don't take it so hard. There are at least two players in this side with immense promise. With some time (and better fielding), this Pakistani side could actually be a fair bit better than they are right now. Asif, Aamer, Gul and Kaneria could theoretically be a dangerous attack.

Well of course you change your game plan and strategy to suit the opposing team but its about an overall approach that I am talking about...which is to attack..Ponting used to attack like a lion back when he had McGrath, Gillespie and Warne.. His attitude against India in 2007, in 2008 was timid and petty...perhaps because he didnt have enough confidence in his bowlers.. Now that Bollinger, Johnson, Hauritz and Siddle have tasted success..I would like him to continue an attacking approach against stronger teams as well.
Ponting has to use his resources as required and he has done an exceptional job to date, I thought the Aus team fought out some great series even though they didnt win them but I dont recall them ever turning all defensive and at times probably too attacking.

And another myth is McGrath, Ponting has won 42 test matches as captain and McGrath has played in less than half of them.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ajmal will bowl worse and have success as well. For some reason I find his hesitation in his delivery stride quite grating though.

When you opt for Michael Clarke instead of Brett Lee to speed up the over rate and prevent fines at the cost of a test match..thats timid and negative in my opinion.
Rock and a hard place isnt it, The outcry if Ponting had of been banned. People like to complain that Australia will do anything to win but when they dont. Are you saying that Ponting should have deliberiatly contravened the laws of the game to try and win a match. You would find that completely acceptable.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I refuse to believe that Hauritz's first 5-for is made in the fourth innings of a test. srsly what was that?

subshakerz

International Coach
I feel your pain, but that's the unceasing disappointment of being a Pakistan fan. No other team flatters to deceive with such stunning regularity.

Truthfully, I know we didn't have much of a chance to win. But I was hoping for a show of some gumption like Sri Lanka did when they were chasing in Australia last time around rather than another spineless collapse. Pakistani fans don't ask for much, if the team loses but shows application and determination, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Can't complain too much about the bowling except that Gul wasn't included and Kaneria was injured. But you can sense by the body language of some of the batsman that they were hesitant and overawed. That's what I find hard to stomach.

pasag

RTDAS
But you can sense by the body language of some of the batsman that they were hesitant and overawed. That's what I find hard to stomach.
60,000 at the MCG might do that to you. It's not really the crowd either, but can imagine from the middle of such a huge fortress it might feel a little intimidating. I remember the huge Twenty20 Indian collapse here a few years back now, that was all due to atmosphere.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Spineless collapse indeed, they woulnd't have won, but i'd have something to watch other than F-Troop re-runs all day, *sigh*

Xuhaib

International Coach
why?

Apart from Asif,Mo Yo and Kamran none of the other Pakistani players will make it to Aus state sides I am not including Umer and Aamir here since both are new and its harsh to expect them to win matches on their first tour to Aus.

Pakistan has always struggled in Aus even during the golden era of 80's and 90's so why it would be different this time.

howardj

International Coach
Nathan Hauritz, we salute you, son.

A great story.

Still accepting membership applications, in my capacity as Pres of his Appreciation Society.

Jayzamann

International Regular
You'd think out of any international players in the world, the Indians would be somewhat used to playing in front of immense and rowdy crowds.

subshakerz

International Coach
why?

Apart from Asif,Mo Yo and Kamran none of the other Pakistani players will make it to Aus state sides I am not including Umer and Aamir here since both are new and its harsh to expect them to win matches on their first tour to Aus.

Pakistan has always struggled in Aus even during the golden era of 80's and 90's so why it would be different this time.
Gul if in form has a good chance of making it to the Aussie side. And I'm sure Kaneria would be preferred over Haurtiz.