• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Siddle produced his best bowling since South Africa in this test tbh.
Yeah agreed, very unlucky. Was pretty unlucky in Adelaide too, drew a lot of edges. Reckon he's a better bowler when he keeps his area simple, think people who say he doesn't move the ball enough have gotten into his head a bit too much. Before playing for OZ, he was basically short of a length in the channel most balls whereas for the last year or so, been too worried about being the side's enforcer or trying to swing the ball more, etc. KISS for Siddle.

Top_Cat

Love that Hauritz has his first Test and FC 5-fer in this match. With some good bowling too (in between the dross). Some days are diamonds.....

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I think Ponting should be hailed for two brave declarations. I know lot of people thought he made a silly decision but I was greatly impressed. I have always found Ponting's approach and attitude as a captain quite timid, petty and negative after the retirement of Warne, McGrath and Langer in 06. Before that, there wasnt much to assess of his captaincy as he was captaining a team of basically robots who would go out there and do the job day in and day out and everything would go according to plan. But it was in India in 2008, against South Africa in 2008 and England in 2009 where Ponting's timid and petty nature came out.
Yeah, it looks like I underestimated Ricky a little. Would personally have put on 50+ more runs in the first innings and waited for Hauritz to get treated, but in the end he made the right call, so kudos.

I personally disagree, though, with your assessments of his captaincy in those three series. His captaincy in India was dodgy at times, but I don't think any captain would've been able to make an impression with such an anodyne bowling attack. His captaincy against SA in 2008/2009 wasn't too bad - he certainly out-captained Smith (not that hard to do), insofar as changing things up and looking for ways to get wickets when SA got on top, rather than letting the game drift like Smith consistently did. Against England, his captaincy was slightly flawed but generally fairly good. His declaration at Cardiff, given the weather, turned out to be very nearly correct - until his bowlers failed him at the end.

He is a little defensive at times, but he didn't unilaterally defend like say, Steve Waugh unilaterally attacked.

...and Hauritz finally got a 5-fer. This should cement his place for the time being, although there's no real competition to begin with. He's not gonna go the way of Nixon McLean then.

Top_Cat

Has to be Watto. Biggest impact on the match, for mine. Basically a ton in both knocks.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hilfenhaus hasn't been selected for Tasmania has he in the big bash? It's obviously not the best format to return in, but if his state team isn't selecting him he would be no chance of returning to the test team this summer.

Yeah FOS, Watto MOTM.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you will find he is smart enough to approach teams on their merits than to use the same approach across the board.

Also Pontings captaincy against SA was excellent, nothing at all to complain about. The ashes didnt go as planned but it was a very close fought series and Australia did very well.

Interesting that local ABC comms (Skull) remarked that Ponting is held in higher regard by the Australian players than Waugh or Taylor.
Exactly, this is where the idea that you have to declare on 600 every innings fails.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you will find he is smart enough to approach teams on their merits than to use the same approach across the board.

Also Pontings captaincy against SA was excellent, nothing at all to complain about. The ashes didnt go as planned but it was a very close fought series and Australia did very well.

Interesting that local ABC comms (Skull) remarked that Ponting is held in higher regard by the Australian players than Waugh or Taylor.
Well of course you change your game plan and strategy to suit the opposing team but its about an overall approach that I am talking about...which is to attack..Ponting used to attack like a lion back when he had McGrath, Gillespie and Warne.. His attitude against India in 2007, in 2008 was timid and petty...perhaps because he didnt have enough confidence in his bowlers.. Now that Bollinger, Johnson, Hauritz and Siddle have tasted success..I would like him to continue an attacking approach against stronger teams as well.