• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Australia Thread

wahindiawah

Banned
Now that the openers have failed badly in the side match, Pak management might think of going in with Afridi in the test match. In any case i don't think Pakistan openers will give them a good start in the test series.

Which opening pair do you guys think Pak should try out?

I would go for Butt and Hameed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Afridi plays, there's one likely result: two single-figure scores. Especially given which ground we're at.
Though if he bowled well I actually think he might possibly be a bit more effective than might be expected. He's the sort of bowler for a typical WACA wicket.

Sehwag309

Banned
December 3, 2004 - 2:49PM

A West Australian second XI has won its three-day tour match by 10 runs against Pakistan early on the last day at Perth's James Oval.

The visitors had a 99-run lead after the first innings and needed just 94 to win after dismissing WA for 192 just after tea on the second day.

But the tourists made hard work of the small total, being bowled out for just 83 as they rearranged their batting order to give all players a hit.

Young Justin Coetzee (5-15) was the destroyer for the locals.

Over the course of the match, Pakistan used 15 players to either bowl or bat.

Earlier on the second day, legspinner Danish Kaneria ripped through the hosts, taking 7-45 off 16 overs.

Pakistan was dismissed early in the day for 257 in reply to the home side's 158 all out.

The visitors' lead was built on Younis Khan's 142, while Justin Coetzee collected five for 66 and Matthew Petrie 4-26 off 16 overs with 10 maidens.

Quicks Mohammed Sami (3-19) and Shoaib Akhtar (1-22) ran through the WA top order in Thursday's opening session, taking 4-18 before a 70-run stand between keeper Luke Ronchi (66) and Scott Meuleman (32) gave its innings some stability.

The three-day game is Pakistan's first as it warms up for the three-Test series against Australia starting next month.

Due to the match finishing early, a 40-overs-a-side one-day match will be played for the rest of the day.

The tourists will then play the Chairman's XI at Lilac Hill and the Western Warriors before the first Test starts at the WACA on December 16.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
So then, I guess its safe to say that even a second string WA side could easily beat any international side they faced.

(Before anyone jumps down my throat, Im joking)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think one should read too much in these early warm up games. Remember what happened to India in the games before the first test down under during the last tour.

Beleg

International Regular
SJS, I would be inclined to agree with you, were we chasing a higher total or playing against a stronger opposition.

But failing to chase 94?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
SJS, I would be inclined to agree with you, were we chasing a higher total or playing against a stronger opposition.

But failing to chase 94?
Yes you are right about that.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beleg said:

But failing to chase 94?

Looking at the scorecard the pitch couldn't have been anything special, plus I doubt the Pakistanis would've been to motivated or switched on for the match while it was a great opportunity for some the WA players to make an impression.

They've got a couple more tour games to go before the first Test and I hope they can improve enough to give us as big a challenge as the Indian side did last year. That was a memorable summer of test cricket!!

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I believe Akhtar said they wanted to win, and if they were to lose, they would make it as hard as possible for the WA 2nd stringers. Hype or not, I'm still happy with the game.

Pitch wasn't playing too bad. A Pakistani batsman got hit twice, but he didn't play the Sprauge bouncer well, as if he didnt see it.

At lunch Pakistan were 4/114 from 23 overs in the 40 over match if i recall correctly, first of Heals overs after lunch got tonked for 14 odd, his second was 10+. First 2 wickets were run outs, So take out the poor running between wickets and they were heading along at a respectable total. Unsure of the final result, I had to leave just after lunch.

Still, couldn't be happier with our boys performance!

Next up, Lilac Hill.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Yeah mate I saw a bit of Asif yesterday, but had to leave before Khalil bowled.

In Asif's first spell he didn't trouble the top order much, although he did get one bouncer to rip and hit Craig Simmons I believe in the helmet.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
Pakistan win 40 over match

'Pakistan regained some pride by winning the 40-over practice match easily. Abdul Razzaq clubbed 74 from 54 balls, with eight fours and three sixes, while Shahid Afridi chipped in with 34 from 25 balls as the Pakistanis reached 8 for 273. WA's 2nd XI managed only 147 in reply. '

But still doesnt make up for the test defeat

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
imranrabb said:
But still doesnt make up for the test defeat
yup rite there
but still they hav restored some pride and they did get some + points from thr 3day game .
razzaq and afridi lookin good

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pitch can't have been great shakes.
How big is this ground? B'coz the scoring-rates were a bit ridiculous.