• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Australia Thread

wahindiawah

Banned
Woolmer on Pak

I've been with Pakistan for five months now, and we've done this three or four times," said Woolmer, a former England Test batsman.

"We're unpredictable, you can take what you like out of this. I don't know what's going on either."
Although disappointed with the opening loss, Woolmer insisted there were positives to be taken from the match.
"We can take a lot out of it, in the sense that we didn't bat very well on a very good cricket wicket," he said.

"It showed the limitations of some of our young batsmen and our senior batsmen as well, so we've got a lot of work to do in the next few days.

"I think it's a reality check for all the players who now have to start working a bit harder than they were.

"Of course I'm concerned about our performance, but it's not a big blow."

Woolmer said the practice in Australian conditions was invaluable.

"There was enough in the pitch - the Western Australian bowlers bowled very well and made the ball move. We found it tough to deal with that."

Advertisement

But he said the experience on Australian wickets would be useful for his young squad.

"Saying that, I don't think this is a Test pitch. Test pitches are better than this," he said.

"Lack of foot movement, lack of presence... the ball just nips around in Australia, and specifically on this pitch. There are a lot of very minor things which I think we can put right."

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
wahindiawah said:
"Lack of foot movement, lack of presence... the ball just nips around in Australia, and specifically on this pitch. There are a lot of very minor things which I think we can put right."
Woolmer could have added to that, the fact that most of Pakistan's younger batsmen prefer favour the front foot and going through with the drive off it. This is not the same in Australia as in the sub continent with the higher bounce.

I am not saying this is what hapened in this match since I didnt watch it but its true that except to punish real short balls, these boys do prefer going forward and driving.

Beleg

International Regular
Pakistan has only two players who prefer playing from the backfoot and are good at it; Inzamam and Imran Farhat [In his case it is more like playing from the crease, minimal foot moment].

I personally think that Inzamam should open the inning in Australia. He is the probably the best player of fast-bowling we have and given the unpredictibility of Pakistani middle-order it is vital that we get some sort of start, not only would it boast the morale of the upcoming batsman and possibly cause a rise in their game but honestly I don't fancy Pakistani youngster's chances against Warne if the pitch is any sort of a turner.

However on the flip side moving Inzy up the order destablizies our middle-order and would make a balanced team-selection very difficult, not to mention increase the chance of a batting collapse if Inzy gets out early.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
Pakistan has only two players who prefer playing from the backfoot and are good at it; Inzamam and Imran Farhat [In his case it is more like playing from the crease, minimal foot moment].

I personally think that Inzamam should open the inning in Australia. He is the probably the best player of fast-bowling we have and given the unpredictibility of Pakistani middle-order it is vital that we get some sort of start, not only would it boast the morale of the upcoming batsman and possibly cause a rise in their game but honestly I don't fancy Pakistani youngster's chances against Warne if the pitch is any sort of a turner.

However on the flip side moving Inzy up the order destablizies our middle-order and would make a balanced team-selection very difficult, not to mention increase the chance of a batting collapse if Inzy gets out early.
Yes you are right. I think Pakistan's interests are best served with Inzemam at the pivotal position of number three in both forms of the game. In this young side, number four is not for him. At number three he can steady the innings in case of the first wicket falling early or provide consolidate the gains if the openers put up a god stand.

Over time, the best players in a side have played at number three and Inzemam is the clear 'owner' of this spot with both a solid technique and all round strokes added to a great temprament. He is also a remarkable reader of the match situation and the way he can switch gears again and again in the same innings, places him apart from almost all the top players playing today.

exuberance

Cricket Spectator
A small update from Woolmer.

Pakistan Cricket tour of Australia UPDATE (1)
04 Dec 2004
Pakistan Cricket tour of Australia UPDATE (1)

Just a short up date to let you know what is happening. I haven’t been able to answer too many questions recently but will put that right soon we have been extremely busy so I have been getting to bed early.
The match against the WA 2nd XI, was an excellent chance to get rid of the jet lag and although I would have liked more practice it was nice to get out in the middle. As you would have noticed it was a practice match and that most of the players had an opportunity to get some practice, although disappointingly some were unable to take that opportunity!
However the bowlers had a good work out and everyone trained every day. The pitch was also interesting and very grassy so the ball moved around all the time and that was a good lesson for all the batters.
For all those doubters please don’t read a lot into the result, we had already decided to play 40 overs each the day before after the game in order to give the players more practice.
It probably won’t be reported but we scored 270 in 40 overs and bowled the opposition out for 140. It is always difficult to rationalize how the same team can score 270 in 40 overs but not get 93 in unlimited time! I guess some of you will say that it is the unpredictability of the Pakistan players!
In reality the players now realize that they will have to make adjustments to there current techniques, not major but enough to cope with these types of pitches. Indeed for the whole game players were working hard.

The pessimists among you will also be saying I told you so! But I know that the players are determined to do well over here and we have plenty of time to make a difference! During the game Shoaib Akthar trained very hard, bowling the designated amount and running and doing shuttles every day! Please realise that this was exactly what we wanted him to do and the other players ran and trained each day.

Of course you will be disappointed that we lost the game, but considering the game was played with all the bowlers taking it in turn to bowl and batsmen getting used to the conditions (well at least some of them), it was not played in order to win at all costs.
As I said though the second innings was disappointing but it will act as a reality check for everyone including me.
Meanwhile Inzamam is recovering from Bronchitis and will be ready to play next Tuesday and with Sami bowling extremely well and both Mohammed’s Khalil and Asif showing much promise I have taken many positives from this performance.

We will have a day off and will be going to Rottenest Island tomorrow and then back to work on Sunday afternoon at the magnificent WACA facilities.

I will be answering questions tomorrow evening

Kind Regards
Bob

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Richard, the pitch isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. You are how many thousand miles away and making judgements on it from a scorecard? Come on. James oval is known as usually being a flatish wicket around the Grade competition. Naturally it isnt international standard, and is only Grade cricket standard, but it isn't a bad pitch by all means. Yes you have a few balls keeping low, and the odd ball cutting back, but overall its reasonable.

It obviously isn't shocking if Pakistan can make 270 in 40 overs on the same day as 4/39 fell in their 2nd innings.

Boundries looked smallish. Usual grade size, whatever that is.

Couple of happy snaps I took.

Attachments

Beleg

International Regular
...It obviously isn't shocking if Pakistan can make 270 in 40 overs on the same day as 4/39 fell in their 2nd innings...
Just about sums up what Pakistan cricket is all about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Richard, the pitch isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. You are how many thousand miles away and making judgements on it from a scorecard? Come on. James oval is known as usually being a flatish wicket around the Grade competition. Naturally it isnt international standard, and is only Grade cricket standard, but it isn't a bad pitch by all means. Yes you have a few balls keeping low, and the odd ball cutting back, but overall its reasonable.

It obviously isn't shocking if Pakistan can make 270 in 40 overs on the same day as 4/39 fell in their 2nd innings.

Boundries looked smallish. Usual grade size, whatever that is.

Couple of happy snaps I took.
Certainly a nice-looking ground, Dave.
I wasn't meaning to be too derogatory to the pitch or ground, just trying to ask questions - of course I don't know too much about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wahindiawah said:
If Pakistan can't compete against WA 2nd 11 then how are they gonna face Australian national team???????????
Second 12, you mean?
Probably by playing better in a game that has rather more meaning.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:

IMO he's best utilised at four - while he's good against pace, like anyone swing and seam can cause him problems early on, so I'd much prefer him coming-in when it's less likely.
My preferred line-up:
Salman \ Imran Farhat
Yasir
Abdul
Inzamam
Youhana
Asim
Kamran
Shoaib Akhtar
Mohammad Sami
Danish
Mohammad Khalil \ Asif
Note: no, I don't think Sami will make any impact, but nonetheless he's a certain starter.
Sadly, I think Shoaib Malik will probably play ahead of Asim, but in my mind there's no doubt Asim is easily the superior player. I also don't think Razzaq batting at three is very likely. Asim three, Shoaib Malik six and Abdul seven (Kamran eight, no Khalil\Asif) is, I reckon, the more likely.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
yeah it will be a tough one between asim and malik
iv heerd that bob said he might give afridi a chance in tests too

wahindiawah

Banned
PAKMAN said:
yeah it will be a tough one between asim and malik
iv heerd that bob said he might give afridi a chance in tests too
That would be disaster for pakistan, especially if he opens.

And Richard didn't include younis khan in his lineup, the only batter who has scored runs so far in australia.younis will bat at one down in test

My 11 would be,

Butt
Hameed
youniss
Inzi
Youhanna
malik/asim
Akmal
Akhter
sami
danish
asif/khalil

Woolmer says that Pak are unredictable, this is something we always knew, Woolmer seems to have nocticed that after 6 months of coaching!

I think this tour of Australia is doomed for Pakistan.Pakistan simply aren't capable of matching the great Aussies.IF Pakistan loses the series 3-0 then they would get demoralised and would start the next series against India in India with a negative frame of mind.

exuberance

Cricket Spectator
By your logic it could mean that India started the series against S.Africa with a negative frame of mind.

If the players are working hard, I am sure it will pay off.
Just wait and see what happens.

exuberance said:
By your logic it could mean that India started the series against S.Africa with a negative frame of mind.
Good point, can't say much on it now.

If the players are working hard, I am sure it will pay off.
But just hard work is not enough, talent is also required and i think this Pakistani team isn't well equipped to match Australia and later on India in India.

All the best though!

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Couple of days old now, but the CA Chairmans XI side to play Pakistan @ Lilac Hill on the 7th .

Justin Langer (capt)
Beau Casson
Tony Dodemaide
Ben Edmondson
Murray Goodwin
Michael Hussey
Geoff Lawson
Marcus North
Chris Rogers
Luke Ronchi (wk)
Dominic Thornely
Peter Worthington

Should be a fun match as it is every year. Geoff Lawson and Tony Dodemaide steaming *read ambling* in will be a sight to see. Although Lawson played in a charity match in Cairns earlier this year, still hits good line and length.

Sehwag309

Banned
vandemataram said:
I think this tour of Australia is doomed for Pakistan.Pakistan simply aren't capable of matching the great Aussies.IF Pakistan loses the series 3-0 then they would get demoralised and would start the next series against India in India with a negative frame of mind.
I feel to the contrary, whoever plays in Australia-Win or Loose go thru such tough competiton thay they find it comfortble to play with any other team

It will be very interesting, India playing Pakistan after a (not walkthrough but Not so threatning bangladesh) and Pakistan after playing Australia

Not sure abt the timing of the next tour, Pakistan would be very competitive in India (unless they are exhausted or suffer from injuries)