• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
And while we are at it, I have a trivia question.

When was the last time Realist or someone else saw Dale Steyn reverse swing a delivery away from the right-hander or into the left-hander?

Spark

Global Moderator

When was the last time Realist or someone else saw Dale Steyn reverse swing a delivery away from the right-hander or into the left-hander?
Would love to know too. Have never seen him do it - again, mostly because I've never seen him need to.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Reverse swing is an art. Just because you can swing with the new ball, doesn't mean you can automatically reverse. You need to learn the skill first.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They used to have a better all round attack, I don't think they do any more. Steyn and Philander imo are a step up from any of the English bowlers, and Morkel, whilst not in the same league, is hardly a slouch either. Tahir is neither here nor there for me...Swann looks a fair bit better but he still looks like a decent spinner.
Philander is a step up from Anderson? k bro.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reverse swing is an art. Just because you can swing with the new ball, doesn't mean you can automatically reverse. You need to learn the skill first.
Reverse swing and conventional swing requires the exact same wrist and seam position.

The only way you need to learn to do it is the fact that you need to know when it's going to start reversing and when you can pin point that, you start bowling a fuller length than what you have been with it not swinging.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

In India as well as in Bangladesh, IMO.

He mostly reverses it into the right handers and the cross seamed one holds its line. But on the odd occasion can get it to move away too, when the ball is scuffed up(Especially the SG).

Last edited:

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Reverse swing requires damaging one side of the ball. To do that you need an abrasive pitch, unless you are suggesting tampering.
It doesn't need damage per se, just enough difference in condition between one side and the other, you can achieve this through careful maintenance, like polishing the ball, seam positions and how the fielder returns the ball, etc etc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Beautiful

Going to need to bat bloody well, but I stand by what I said yesterday. We will win this match.

Spark

Global Moderator
Reverse swing and conventional swing requires the exact same wrist and seam position.

The only way you need to learn to do it is the fact that you need to know when it's going to start reversing and when you can pin point that, you start bowling a fuller length than what you have been with it not swinging.
I think the art is more in the usage of reverse swing rather than obtaining it, working over the batsman with one that goes away away away then in or v. v. - because if you can reverse it one way you can in theory reverse it the other way by simplying flipping the ball in your hand

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the art is more in the usage of reverse swing rather than obtaining it, working over the batsman with one that goes away away away then in or v. v. - because if you can reverse it one way you can in theory reverse it the other way by simplying flipping the ball in your hand
Yeah well obv, but as in actually doing it I'm talking about.