• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NZ in Bangladesh (5 T20s)

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Crazy to see people complaining about how poor we are playing spin, when Ajaz and Ravindra have absolutely crushed it this series. That's a guy who isn't really considered a T20 option at all most of the time, and a borderline part-timer, against Bangladesh batsmen in their home conditions. If our guys are bad against spin then how bad are their guys?
I guess you could put your best batters of spin in the world collectively and they'll struggle too. The deck was just too slow and turning square mostly. Of course still requires the spinners to bowl in the right areas but you do expect them to at that level. It wasn't a level playing field for batters by any stretch of imagination.

Immenso

Biggest difference between 2 teams has actually been Mustafizur and Saifuddin. The fiz was expected but Saif more of a surprise (to me).

But, tbh. 2 of the 4 we've set to low a chase to get too many conclusions about much.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Bangladesh team owner will be happy with this series win....now he's gonna have to select the team for the T20I WC.

(Papon, to me, is like Michael Scott)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I certainly wouldn't like pitches like this all the time, but I do see some value in the way we've had to try and adjust to playing a different style of cricket in this series. Who knows, that could be the case in India later this year, too. We've lost 3 games where we've failed to score 100, and won one where we got it right and scored 120. Knocks like Will Young's last night, obviously Latham's epic knock, Blundell/Nicholls have had real merit. And the ones exposed have been guys with little international experience, or guys like CdG who don't really have a plan B.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Crazy to see people complaining about how poor we are playing spin, when Ajaz and Ravindra have absolutely crushed it this series. That's a guy who isn't really considered a T20 option at all most of the time, and a borderline part-timer, against Bangladesh batsmen in their home conditions. If our guys are bad against spin then how bad are their guys?
Think it was just one new poster tbh. It's pretty normal that when overseas in tough conditions everyone other than your tier one batsmen are almost worthless. Would've liked some minor improvements in batting (then would likely sit at 2-2) but actual performance has not been unexpected given the difficulty of conditions. Here's the stats:
Screenshot 2021-09-09 100326.png
Who from the top side would actually improve this NZ T20 batting side in these conditions? You'd retain Latham, Nicholls and Young (with hindsight) and add Williamson and Conway. Which gives us the test team's top 5 bar Taylor. Maybe Guptill, Phillips and Mitchell would be an improvement though they're more questionable. Wouldn't expect Seifert, Chapman or Neesham to do any better than those selected.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not from the top side but Munro might've been handy (as would his dibbly dobblers) but he wasn't available due to CPL and that ship has sailed.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Forgot about Munro - I'd put him in the 'maybe' bucket though leaning towards a Finn Allen type of return.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are these idiot commentators who've been constantly lording Bangladesh as world-beaters all series aware that not one of these current NZ players is in the NZ T20 WC squad?

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Are these idiot commentators who've been constantly lording Bangladesh as world-beaters all series aware that not one of these current NZ players is in the NZ T20 WC squad?
My favourite part is when the commentators have made calls like "he's out, he'll have to walk back to the pavilion" then DRS shows the ball to be missing. Amazing.

The Hutt Rec

Every damn game is a historic moment for them, that’s what I’ve noticed.

First game: “This is another historic win over an overseas side for Bangladesh!”

Third game: “This is a historic win on Bangladesh soil for NZ!”

Fourth game: “This is a historic series win for Bangladesh!”

Rest of the world: has forgotten the series even took place two weeks later

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah honestly Kane with a double digit score from one or two other bats would win most of these games. Guy is tailor made for these conditions.

vandem

International 12th Man
So why theyve sended C team
Player workload / Covid / quarantine

NZ have tours to Bangladesh (T20) then Pakistan (ODI + T20) then some players to IPL then T20 World Cup then to India (test + T20), all before Christmas. Then home for Boxing Day 1st test vs Bangladesh There have been decisions made to prioritise T20 World Cup and IPL and tour to India.

nzfan

My favorite memory of the commentator (same one) is calling a third umpire call:

"Yes, he looks out"
"No, he's not out"
"He looks out but he should not be given out"
"It'll be too hard and harsh to give that out" - What does that even mean?
"He is definitely out"
"I don't think he should be given out"
"He's out from that angle"

All in the space of 2 minutes :laugh:

Aritro

International Regular

First game: “This is another historic win over an overseas side for Bangladesh!”

To be fair, I'm sure you had plenty of these in the 50s ?‍♂

Last edited:

Moss

Commentary has been unbearable but won't grudge BD celebrating this win and the other recent ones. ROW forgetting this took place 2 weeks later will probably happen, but that's exactly the sort of Big 3 Mentality which kiwi fans would do well to steer clear of IMO.