• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Ming

State 12th Man
Styris should be the Auckland captain, while Horne should be the deputy I think. Who are the up and coming spinners in the Auckland region to replace Walker? It would benefit NZ cricket on the whole, if Bruce Martin joined Auckland to get more consistent game time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The retirement of Walker was not a surprise (well not to me anyway). The Herald reported at the end of the season that Barnes, Walker & Walmsley were all seriously considering retirement.

brockley

International Captain
No wonder nz don't have a strong standard in nz domestic cricket when players retire so early,i think also the nz domestic season should not conflict with internationals,so international players don't miss club games,zimbabwe does this and so should nz.

shaka

International Regular
I think he is from Western Province (without looking at his profile), and plays for Warwickshire

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
It seems really strange that he has decided to come to NZ. With those stats you would think he would be banging on the door for international honours and the NZ season is the same time as the SA season. And the difference in cricket is also not huge so strange in my eyes

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
That's an extremely good signing for Otago. I can see why they decided to drop Mohammed Wasim (who wasn't really playing that well anyway).

But yes, you have to wonder why he's gone from South Africa to England to New Zealand?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But NZ is likely to offer him the least amount of money!

He could earn alot more playing back in South Africa.

Chubb

International Regular
maybe none of the provinces wanted him, or he might want to experience conditions in NZ being so used to SA and England ones.

How often do NZ provinces have overseas players? I reckon more of them would be good for our cricket... obviously the seasons coincide but surely great county pros like, say Ramprakash or Knight would improve the standard? Will Jefferson was playing for a club near Auckland last year: he should have been used by someone.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:

He would have to play as an overseas player in SA, and i don't think he get that much money.

and Marc, what was he playing as before Kolpak came in? he's been here a few years

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:

Would they want him back as an overseas though - especially as he's turned his back on the country.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Good to see Trott scoring some more runs.

Does anyone know of any potential domestic transfers, other than the already mentioned higher profile ones.

From what I have heard the otago players haven't been told where the stand contract wise.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
:D

Otago have signed Auckland medium pacer gareth Shaw for next season.

Don't really know what to think of this signing, We need batsmen more than bowlers :wacko:

So my Otago team so far, for the 05/06 season

1 Gaffney (If retires then Redmond comes up to open, and Eathorne into the middle order)
2 Cumming
3 Trott
4 Todd
5 Redmond
6 Hopkins
7 McCullum
8 McSkimming
9 Wilson
10 Shaw
11 The msot injury prone player in NZ cricket James McMillan

When Cumming is playing for the Black Caps Redmond to open with Gaffney and Eathorne comes in to bat at 6.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Gareth Shaw is a bit quicker than a medium pacer and certainly has alot of potential. I think he had no choice but to move with Chris Martin arriving and rumours about that Tuffey could be switching to Auckland too.

A very good signing for Otago I think.

No other news from me but there's a possibility that Tim McIntosh could return to Auckland after struggling in Christchurch.