• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

southern man

U19 Cricketer
What seems weird about Auckland is their player retention and recruitment. They seem to always get players back that had played for them in the past and aging black caps (in some cases both). Yet they continue to let good young prospects go, But its great for the other provinces as we get these talented youngsters. While Auckland plays with over the hill old men.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Tuffey stays with ND

allure of a stocked trophy cabinet has helped keep Daryl Tuffey at Northern Districts.

Tuffey has confirmed he will play the upcoming cricket season with the State Shield champions despite rumours he was set to join ND teammate Scott Styris in changing his allegiance to play domestic cricket for Auckland.

He says he will be there to help ND defend their title.

Daryl Tuffey says Graeme Aldridge and Joseph Yovich are good friends, while the one-day competition win also swayed his decision.

Auckland has a strong bowling lineup and ND will be the best for his development so it wasn't in his best interests.

He says ND's State Shield win last season also reinforced his decision to stay

www.xtra.co.nz

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Young Canterbury batsman Neil Broom is joining the Volts. Should be a handy acquisition - went alright for Canterbury when he got the chances.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
I reakon its an aweasome signing, He has shown alot of talent when i have seen him play. With the new players Otago have signed I think we can actually push closer to atleast the semis. I just feel sorry for some of the younger guys around the scene.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
:D

Well theres many good young cricketers around Otago, and yes he would be one of them :D

But im very excited about the otago team for the upcoming season.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Broom is a great signing..definately one of the up & coming middle order batsmen in NZ.
Good move for him too because he's struggling to make the Canterbury side when they've got most of their key players around.

It's good that Otago are chasing some up & coming talent and giving them a chance rather than going for 30+ journey-men.
Its much more beneficial for NZ cricket to have our talent spread out & playing regular FC cricket.

Glenn Stiemens

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've looked on Cricinfo but can't find this information anywhere so thought I'd come to the experts on Cricket Web :)

Could you tell me the names and possibly nationalities/date of birth's of the head coaches at Auckland, Canterbury, Central Districts, Northern Districts, Otago and Wellington?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Volts coach is Mike Hesson - educated at Otago Boys High School, and I think he's in his early 30s. Almost definitely NZ-born.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't tell you the ages of the coaches, but I do know some of their names.
enter these names at cricinfo and most of them should have profiles.

Auckland - Mark O'Donnell
Wellington - Vaughan Johnson
Canterbury - Yet to name a new coach
C.D. - Graham Barlow
N.D - Bruce Blair
Otago - Mike Hesson

HighVoltage

Cricket Spectator
Despite apparently having so many left-arm orthodox spinners in the country, are their actually any good ones apart from Daniel Vettori? and how many are their exactly? All I can think of is Bruce Martin?

More importantly are their any in the Otago region? Any young ones coming through the ranks?
Just asking these questions because I think a quality spin bowler has been missing from the Otago team for a while and I don't think Nathan McCullum is the answer.

Cheers.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
There was a young left-armer who played for Kavanagh a few years ago. Don't know what's happened to him though.

They do have the new offspinner, Will Somerville (I think), but there's still no leggies.

HighVoltage

Cricket Spectator
Yeah well, I don't expect any leggies to come along anytime soon from New Zealand...

So there is no one even in the Central Otago and Southland areas that can develop through or anything? Are we always going to have to rely on imports or part time spin bowlers down here?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
HighVoltage said:
Yeah well, I don't expect any leggies to come along anytime soon from New Zealand...

So there is no one even in the Central Otago and Southland areas that can develop through or anything? Are we always going to have to rely on imports or part time spin bowlers down here?
Unless I get my backside into gear and find an extra bit of talent in my body, then no.

:p

Best spinner in Southland is an offie as well.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Todd Astle is a leg-spinner. He's currently over in Australia with the Academy team.