• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
shane bond just hit a maiden first class century(100) and gary stead made his career best first-class score(190), the other games seem to have suffered rain delays
Superb partnership between the two, nice to Stead back amongst the runs and also good to see Shane Bond scoring his maiden ton.

In the same match, Evans has retired hurt after a quicker ball from Bond broke his hand...interesting.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
The media are starting to push the cases of James Marshall, Peter Fulton, Jesse Ryder & Ross Taylor big time.

An article in the Herald today said Ryder would probably be in the Black Caps by the end of the year.
Im not sure Ryder has done enough this season to be included though. I think Peter Fulton is probably the only one who deserves to be there on volume of runs.

But seeing Zimbabwe are our next opponents its hard to see the selectors resisting the temptation to take at least 2 of the 4 mentioned...me thinks it will be Fulton & Marshall.
Interesting article in the Herald on Sunday on Ryder, not only about his cricketing career but also his life off the field. His double century will certainly have caught the selectors' eyes but I definately don't think he should he selected for the national side just yet.

As you say, the likes of Marshall, Fulton, Ryder and Taylor are being highlighted with the disappointment of the Australian tour but seeing as Cumming and Vincent were selected at the beginning of the series, we should at least stick with those two batsmen in particular until after the Sri Lankan tour.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Cumming has shown enough positive signs in the test series so far to suggest that he can continue to open in the mean time.

Not convinced about Vincent, but he's got a great opportunity right now in the 2nd test to get a good score.

I think NZ 'A' tour S.L 'A' sometime in the next month or 2, i'd look to put Ryder & Taylor in that squad rather than putting them in against S.L back here.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a shame that Tim McIntosh has lost the plot somewhat. He was another potential opener 2 years ago, but since his move to Canterbury I don't think he's even got past 50 runs collectively all season.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Jesse Ryder is currently 76* off 100 balls against Otago..so he really is starting to hit form.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryder missed out on his century...79. And it was only off 100 balls too, so he is showing good form for sure.

This guy Will Somerville has taken 3/19 off 8 overs though!

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
great to see Bond gaining some form with the bat & congrads on his maiden 1st class ton - but like everyone else I'm hoping it isn't at the expence of his bowling...........

anzac

International Debutant
so far as the speculation in the papers goes.............

Fulton would be 1st cab off the rink for a middle order spot, then possibly J Marshall would be 2nd because he has played as an opener, then Taylor.........

Ryder would not be in contention for a full squad spot unless he keeps putting together sound 50+ innings from now until the end of the season..........

I'm surprised that Stewart's name has not bee brought up - he doesn't grab the headlines but he's been a solid performer over the last couple of seasons.............

if there is an 'A' Team series then depending on the SRL series squad I'd like to see as many of the contenders in there as possible - with both bat & ball.............J Marshall, Papps, Fulton, Taylor, Stewart, Ryder, Hopkins, B Martin, Bond, Butler, Adams, Hamilton - a pity that both Sherlock & Davis are injured..............

Ming

State 12th Man
I don't think they wil take Hamilton. Apparently he's going to retire at the end of the season.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
This guy Will Somerville has taken 3/19 off 8 overs though!

I heard Steve Davie say that He is a New Zealander. But moved to Australia when he was ten, transfered from Sydney university to Otago university last year. He is planning to steatle down and stay in Dunedin.

shaka

International Regular
Bond currently has two wickets, both openers to lbw's Watling out for 77, B Wilson for 2

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if this guy Somerville has played first grade in Sydney then he must have a bit of potential.

A right arm offie would be handy for NZ seeing we're currently overloaded with left arm orthodox.

shaka

International Regular
Marc Ellis (rugby player in 1995 world cup) says he scored 159 in the business league cricket tournament, he was using a Kookaburra.