• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official" NRL Tips discussion thread

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
i would like to watch them but they won't be on Tele...
The NZ match this weekend is but it doesn't really mean much...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hey blewy, did you hear Benji was spotted wearing a roosters cap a few days ago, looks like they are lining him up for 2006 and beyond, bad news....

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Reason being, Benji is good mates with Todd Payten who lives with Minnichello and a couple of the other guys, there were actually a few Tigers guys there...

Simon

Blewy said:
Reason being, Benji is good mates with Todd Payten who lives with Minnichello and a couple of the other guys, there were actually a few Tigers guys there...
ah ok, i guess that cant be used as an excuse when he signs for the roosters in july next year...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't wait until Benji starts playing 5/8 for NZ. We desperately need a 5/8 sooner rather than later.

International rugby league has been rubbish for years...as I said earlier, if NZ could get access to a greater number of NZ players who are preferring to play Origin then maybe the games would be more exciting.

Simon

i think you need a fullback too, not only is it pathetic you have brent webb there, hes not even a kiwi! surely theres a player in the batercard cup better than him!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
i think you need a fullback too, not only is it pathetic you have brent webb there, hes not even a kiwi! surely theres a player in the batercard cup better than him!

That's a bit hipocritical there Simon. You were praising Tonie Carroll's selection for Australia - he isn't Australian.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
That's a bit hipocritical there Simon. You were praising Tonie Carroll's selection for Australia - he isn't Australian.
no i didnt mean it like that, i mean it like, if they could get a non kiwi to play fullback for their national team, 3 years ago they should have actually recruited someone decent.... if you understand that....

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
no i didnt mean it like that, i mean it like, if they could get a non kiwi to play fullback for their national team, 3 years ago they should have actually recruited someone decent.... if you understand that....

But they tried to get Hunt, and he decided to play for Queensland and ultimately Australia.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There is nobody better in the Bartercard Cup because all the good players have been raided by Australian & English Clubs.

These players get taken by overseas clubs at the ages of 14 & 15..so by the time they get to club football level in 3 or 4 years they switch their allegiance to Australia or Great Britain. Or in some cases, the State of Origin carrot get dangled infront of them.
It's the exact same problem that the Pacific Islands have with the All Blacks...all the riches get plundered.

So if you want to keep playing a very very average NZ team then so be it...i've got no time for international rugby league until certain administrations get the priorities right.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The whole reason why Brent Webb is playing for NZ is because there are no other options at Fullback right now. It's highly likely that if NZ were better off in terms of selection numbers..Brent Webb would still be holding out for an Australian jersey.

Mister Wright

Tim said:
There is nobody better in the Bartercard Cup because all the good players have been raided by Australian & English Clubs.

These players get taken by overseas clubs at the ages of 14 & 15..so by the time they get to club football level in 3 or 4 years they switch their allegiance to Australia or Great Britain. Or in some cases, the State of Origin carrot get dangled infront of them.
It's the exact same problem that the Pacific Islands have with the All Blacks...all the riches get plundered.

So if you want to keep playing a very very average NZ team then so be it...i've got no time for international rugby league until certain administrations get the priorities right.

Maybe you should stop accusing Australians and administrators and start blaming the New Zealand players. You have to wonder about the New Zealand pride if they are deciding to play for other countries rather than there own. They can still make the big money with Australian clubs and choose to play for New Zealand, so it is not a financial issue.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a case of money & greed if you ask me.
The NZRL have absolutely nothing on the ARL when it comes to money & offering representitive football.

If international league was stronger then players might resist the temptation to play State of Origin..but as it is, State of Origin is regarded better so more players aspire to that.

Let's not forget that these players are usually around 17 or 18 when they're having to make these decisions. Sometimes I think 'pride' is at the back of their mind..and it's more about how much they can earn & whats best for their future.

Mister Wright

Tim said:
It's a case of money & greed if you ask me.
The NZRL have absolutely nothing on the ARL when it comes to money & offering representitive football.

If international league was stronger then players might resist the temptation to play State of Origin..but as it is, State of Origin is regarded better so more players aspire to that.

Let's not forget that these players are usually around 17 or 18 when they're having to make these decisions. Sometimes I think 'pride' is at the back of their mind..and it's more about how much they can earn & whats best for their future.
It has nothing to do with the Australian clubs, I have not heard of any cases where they have stopped players from playing International League for New Zealand. Maybe you should be accusing the players and not clubs.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Hopefully the fact that SBW has decided to stick with New Zealand will start changeing the minds of other young Kiwis, cause at the moment international league sucks balls.

On Benji, i don't think he is the type of player that you need at 5/8 since so far he has shown very little team play, sure he is a great attacker in his own right but i have yet to see him create many chances for the players around him.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
thewizard1o1 said:
Hopefully the fact that SBW has decided to stick with New Zealand will start changeing the minds of other young Kiwis, cause at the moment international league sucks balls.

On Benji, i don't think he is the type of player that you need at 5/8 since so far he has shown very little team play, sure he is a great attacker in his own right but i have yet to see him create many chances for the players around him.
You obviously haven't watched much of Benji, He has created plenty of opportunities in the games he has played... He almost single handedly carved Canberra up the 1st time we played them this year...