• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2009 Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Was Creagh injuried or just not selected. Was pretty much our best forward in Orgin and may have gone missing in finals but was brillant all season. Without knowing who was left out for injuries hard to really comment on the squads.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure he was just left out. I suspect once injuries have taken care of a few players in the named squad Ben Creagh, Darius Boyd, Tom Learoyd Lahrs, Justin Poore and or David Taylor may find themselves in the 24.

Burgey

Wolfmother are a worn out Aussie act for mine. Not a big fan.

On ol Johnny, I was never a fan of his by any stretch, but I think he'd be a great candidate to head a new NRL body. He's experienced in running big organizations, he'd have considerable clout due to his ex prime minister status, and you'd think he'd be somebody everybody could get behind. (well maybe not the Greenies ;)) If it ends up happening I think it would be for the good of the game.
Imagine if Howard took over the NRL.

First, they'd have to sound proof the NRL offices so his rants couldn't be made public.
When teams toured overseas and tried to get back into the country, he'd stick them in ****ing Nauru.
If there was a drama at board level, he'd say he didn't know about it, or wasn't informed about it.
"Violence against women will always be lower under my leadership".

And he's a died-in-the-wool Saints supporter. No.

howardj

International Coach
I think Michael Searle should head up the independent commission.

Unlike Howard, he has an intimate knowledge of league, he's young, and he's also a figure people could unite behind.

Simon

IMO whoever if John Howard gets that position its just going to be as a figurehead, I doubt he'll actually do much.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year

First, they'd have to sound proof the NRL offices so his rants couldn't be made public.
When teams toured overseas and tried to get back into the country, he'd stick them in ****ing Nauru.
If there was a drama at board level, he'd say he didn't know about it, or wasn't informed about it.

LOL i wish, that would mean more $$$$$ for me :D :D

Nauru is no longer, which is unfortunate as it paid good money lol

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
My Laugh for the day:

From the Dogs forums(whinging about Farah being picked ahead of Ennis)...

"Farah is easy to read and offers no creativity on the field. Ennis does this in spades!"

Simon

My Laugh for the day:

From the Dogs forums(whinging about Farah being picked ahead of Ennis)...

"Farah is easy to read and offers no creativity on the field. Ennis does this in spades!"
Neither should be in the squad tbh. Farah is clearly the better player but he's a bit like Gidley for mine in that when he's the star of the side he goes well but put him with other good players then he doesn't really offer much value.

Burgey

TBF Farah played origin 2 this year injured when he shouldn't have, probably in an effort to keep Ennis from having the opportunity to play ahead of him. Of course, he played poorly and was replaced anyway.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I was over their with the Australian Federal Police, helping train the Nauruan police as well as look after all the assylum seekers.. Was their in 05...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Without wanting to take this thread off-topic (ahhh, who cares - the season's over!), what was it like? I was too young to remember what it like when I was there, but a recent documentary described the interior as like a moonscape, while the infrastructure is - well - pretty much stuffed.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Without wanting to take this thread off-topic (ahhh, who cares - the season's over!), what was it like? I was too young to remember what it like when I was there, but a recent documentary described the interior as like a moonscape, while the infrastructure is - well - pretty much stuffed.
Yeah its pretty insane... The mining of phosphate has destroyed the land, completely, which is very dissapointing as with a bit of work and leadership the place could have been beautiful...

The infrastructure is non-existant, buildings being lived in until they fall down. The hospital is one of the most amazing sites i've ever seen in my entire lifetime (and not a good one), People lying on dirty and wet floors with ****roaches all round..

The people have no respect for their home, which in fairness to them is mostly down to their previous leaders basically rorting them out of every cent they have from the phosphate mining (which was ALOT of money)...

If i get a chance and can find them, ill post up some pics for you..

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The doco (and articles I've read) say that back in the boom period, Nauruvians would just drive their cars until they broke down, at which point they'd just leave them on the side of the road and buy another one. :laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

You forgot the VST (Violent Services Tax) whereby Johnny himself personally increases the amount of bodily harm by 10% to anyone who has been victimised by a drunken NRL player.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
The doco (and articles I've read) say that back in the boom period, Nauruvians would just drive their cars until they broke down, at which point they'd just leave them on the side of the road and buy another one. :laugh:
Thats 100% true....

Now you see whole families packed on the back of a motorbike... lol