• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Heard a rumour from a mate that the selectors thought quite highly of james mcMillan before he got injured.

Would have been interesting if he had stayed injury free. Would be nice if he could have an injury free season.

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Does anyone think Jeff Wilson will get in the ODI side again. I don't think so, it was just a publicity stunt for the World XI charity series. John Bracewell said it wasn't but would you expect him to say it was?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
12th Man said:
Does anyone think Jeff Wilson will get in the ODI side again. I don't think so, it was just a publicity stunt for the World XI charity series. John Bracewell said it wasn't but would you expect him to say it was?
Of course he will - did you even follow the series? He was one of our best bowlers.

bryce

International Regular
yeah - the only questions being asked about wilson are whether he will get into the test side

Sir_Fireboard

Cricket Spectator
Sir Redman said:
Back to the topic of the thread I saw in the paper today that the beige brigade are challenging the Aussies to compete in a moustache growing contest for the 20/20 game. Apparently the blackcaps are doing it so the brigade are "encouraging" the Aussies to do the same.

Imagine McGrath running in with a Merv Hughes mo :eek: :shocking:
Bwah! Those crazy guys.
BlackCap_Fan said:
Yeah. Just watching the state shield match, Wellington against Canterbury I think, a few days ago, and I saw, to my shock-horror, that Fleming's growing chin pubes!
Hey! I think he looked good :happy:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Sir Redman said:
Back to the topic of the thread I saw in the paper today that the beige brigade are challenging the Aussies to compete in a moustache growing contest for the 20/20 game. Apparently the blackcaps are doing it so the brigade are "encouraging" the Aussies to do the same.

Imagine McGrath running in with a Merv Hughes mo :eek: :shocking:
Is it just me, or does Glenn not seem the type to be qualified to grow a mo to the standard of the great Merv's?

anzac

International Debutant
bryce said:
why play five bowlers? i would just play 4 seamers out of tuffey, franklin, butler, martin and wilson - i think that would be the right team balance for the test series, we can't afford to have the batting even weaker and a fifth bowler(including wiseman) isn't likely to make much of a difference
needless to say that I agree entirely - and not just because Oram won't be able to bowl..........

anzac

International Debutant
with regard to the recent debate of NZL status as a ODI side.........

IMO we are as good as AUS re our fielding, and as good as anyone on our day (same can be said of any of the top 6 sides)........

but we are NOT anywhere near consistant enough or rutheless enough, and nor do we have the bowling weapons to consider ourselves on a par with the best...............

furthermore we tend to not win the big games IMO, which is what seperates the men from the boys - eg AUS are vulnerable at the begining of a ODI series but generally do well when it counts more often than not, whereas we did well in the last WC in the early games, but not in the 2nd round - likewise in the ICC Trophy - we beat both the finalists in the NatWest series but fell to AUS in the game that counted..........

anzac

International Debutant
I also agree with Tim's point regarding each country's pitches should offer something different from each other.........

so I'd like to see spin in IND but not prodigeous from Day 1;
and I'd want to see seam in NZL - but again not exaggerated on a low & slow pitch - for NZL I still want to see more pace & consistant bounce to allow the batsmen to be able to play shots off both front & back feet once they have weathered the opening spells with the new ball...........

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
anzac said:
with regard to the recent debate of NZL status as a ODI side.........

IMO we are as good as AUS re our fielding, and as good as anyone on our day (same can be said of any of the top 6 sides)........

but we are NOT anywhere near consistant enough or rutheless enough, and nor do we have the bowling weapons to consider ourselves on a par with the best...............

furthermore we tend to not win the big games IMO, which is what seperates the men from the boys - eg AUS are vulnerable at the begining of a ODI series but generally do well when it counts more often than not, whereas we did well in the last WC in the early games, but not in the 2nd round - likewise in the ICC Trophy - we beat both the finalists in the NatWest series but fell to AUS in the game that counted..........
Absolutely agree. Just because weve been in good form in the last year doesnt mean we're suddenly Gods gift to cricket. As I said in another post I dont have confidence in our team's ability to perform under severe pressure, particularly with the likes of Mills in the side, and Adams if he gets in.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I worry about our openers in tests. Then I ask myself

"Self. Would you be less worried if Fleming was opening?"

And I say

"I think so. Firstly, I don't know how effective he would be (and yes I know how good he was in England), secondly that takes him out of the middle order, and then who bats at 3?."

Then I nod thoughtfully. :cool:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
sirjeremy11 said:
I worry about our openers in tests. Then I ask myself

"Self. Would you be less worried if Fleming was opening?"

And I say

"I think so. Firstly, I don't know how effective he would be (and yes I know how good he was in England), secondly that takes him out of the middle order, and then who bats at 3?."

Then I nod thoughtfully. :cool:
After you nod thoughtfully, do you get worried that you have intelligent dicussions with yourself?

And, regarding the moustaches:

The Barmy Army's ceaseless support for the England team was a undoubtedly a factor in their 2-1 series victory over South Africa, but not even the most ardent of those supporters would reckon they have any influence over the players' sense of fashion. In that respect, the Beige Brigade, New Zealand's burgeoning fan club, has stolen a march on the Barmies, by challenging their heroes to grow moustaches for the team cause.

Later this month, New Zealand take on Australia in a Twenty20 international, and for the occasion, they will be kitted out in their iconic brown-and-tan uniforms that they wore during the glory days of the 1980s. The Beige Brigade, suitably chuffed at this turn of events, now want the players to complete the retro theme, and do away with their razors for a couple of weeks.

"Any player who fronts up with a real moustache on their face will get `a lot' of beer delivered to their local cricket club," said a Beige Brigade spokesman in a statement. "Facial hair was an important feature back in the halcyon days of cricket in this country, so if we're bringing back the horrendous colours of that era, why not go the whole hog?"

Among the great `tache wearers of the 1980s were such Kiwi legends as Jeremy Coney, Jeff Crowe, Ewen Chatfield and Glenn Turner, although the greatest of the lot was the incomparable Sir Richard Hadlee, in whose honour the competition has been initiated. The Beige Brigade are also offering bonus points for 80s-style perms, and a handicap system for players who might have a "low growth ability".

Stephen Fleming, who has recently taken to sporting a beard, and Chris Cairns are two men who seem certain to rise to the challenge, as would Craig McMillan if selected, for his Zapata-style nose-broom was a particularly fine effort during last summer's Test series in England.

One potential waverer, however, is Jeff Wilson, the former All Black legend who looks set to take on the Aussies as he makes his comeback in cricket. "Just take a look at my forehead, I'm not that good at growing hair," he told The Southland Times. "Some of the other boys in the team will be pretty keen to have a crack, I'm sure."
(cricinfo)

Sir_Fireboard

Cricket Spectator
Later this month, New Zealand take on Australia in a Twenty20 international, and for the occasion, they will be kitted out in their iconic brown-and-tan uniforms that they wore during the glory days of the 1980s.
Oh thank goodness. When I heard rumblings of this originally, I didn't know the circumstances and I thought we were going back to beige permanently. Glad it's just for one game.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
- lol @ people under estimating our ODI side.. we have won.. 19 of our last 21 ? ODIS....
- Im sick of people bitching about seaming wickets.. its cricket.. how boring is it to have flat fast wickets where the ball does nothing ?.. and it does not "Favour new zealand" both teams have to bat on the same wicket.. both teams have to bowl on the same wicket..
- Our last 2 games vs aussie .. we won one of them.. and we lost one.. people say "Oh but it dont count cause mills smashed aussie around" ... thats cricket.. get over it.. we didnt play the second team with one of our best players.. we basically played that game with 1 man down the entire game.. so what ? thats cricket..

As for the series ?

3-2 ODIS to NZ
And i have a weird felling nz could not do to bad in the tests... we should win 1 game atleast.. the team will know how much they have been stuffing it up and will be working on fixing it..

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
MoxPearl said:
- lol @ people under estimating our ODI side.. we have won.. 19 of our last 21 ? ODIS....
I dont think we're underestimating our side, we're being realistic. I have been following sport since the day I was born and know from experience not to fall for the "NZ is soooo good at the moment" opinions we see in the media. Remember how everyone was raving about how great our test side was a while ago? It was absolute rubbish as the recent series' have shown.

MoxPearl said:
- Im sick of people bitching about seaming wickets.. its cricket.. how boring is it to have flat fast wickets where the ball does nothing ?.. and it does not "Favour new zealand" both teams have to bat on the same wicket.. both teams have to bowl on the same wicket..
Partially agree with this. Seaming wickets are ok, they can bring out the best in batsmen. Heavily seaming wickets with variable bounce are dangerous and not fit for cricket.
MoxPearl said:
As for the series ?

3-2 ODIS to NZ
And i have a weird felling nz could not do to bad in the tests... we should win 1 game atleast.. the team will know how much they have been stuffing it up and will be working on fixing it..
To tell the truth I have a weird feeling about the tests too...but its probably just a stomach bug coming :dry: