• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Deja moo

International Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:
Well, we did beat them 5-2 when they came here...
I assume you mean NZ beat India 5-2 last time, cos I cant recollect NZ beating Australia 5-2. Bravo. I wonder if India prepares square turners when NZ visit next, what kind of result would we get? Flat tracks where scores of 300 are par for the course offer considerabely less advantage to home teams than Hamilton type pitches.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
the fact that nz pitches best for seam bowlers and are sometimes difficult to bat on is just like indian pitches are mostly in the favour of batters and spinners
that's nz advange when india come to nz and have to bat on green-tops
like nz seam bowlers have to bowl on flat-tracks in india

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
i heard that Napier gets to host a test aganist Aussie
thats great for me i can go and see them live and the napier pitch is one of the best in the country

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually think it's good for the game that NZ pitches offer something different to every where else. As long as the pitches aren't doing all the work for the bowlers, then I think its ok.

India can complain all they like about that 5-2 series. But the fact was that NZ were never in any form at that stage either and had India actually worked hard in that series they could have come out with a good result.

Deja moo

International Captain
cric_manic said:
the fact that nz pitches best for seam bowlers and are sometimes difficult to bat on is just like indian pitches are mostly in the favour of batters and spinners
that's nz advange when india come to nz and have to bat on green-tops
like nz seam bowlers have to bowl on flat-tracks in india
The difference is that anyone can bat on flat tracks, but not everyone can bat on seaming wickets. You seem to have confused turning tracks and flat tracks. Spinners arent as effective on flat tracks. Seamers are effective on seaming tracks.

Deja moo

International Captain
cric_manic said:
No problems mate. Its just that many forget that the subcontinental equivalent of green tops are turning tracks,not flat tracks, and India havent produced those with regularity for quite some time now. We only seem to get flat decks with 300 being par for the course (in ODIs of course)

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
I assume you mean NZ beat India 5-2 last time, cos I cant recollect NZ beating Australia 5-2. Bravo. I wonder if India prepares square turners when NZ visit next, what kind of result would we get? Flat tracks where scores of 300 are par for the course offer considerabely less advantage to home teams than Hamilton type pitches.
I'm sorry, my bad. I assumed that with the "And you have what, iffy situations to back that up ?" you were referring to India, not Australia.

Ming

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Oh yes, because needed 100 runs from 77 balls with 3 wickets left (1 of which was an injured player) is such a simple thing that it was obvious that NZ were going to win from there 8-)
We came pretty damn close in the end with Mills' big hitting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
No problems mate. Its just that many forget that the subcontinental equivalent of green tops are turning tracks,not flat tracks, and India havent produced those with regularity for quite some time now.

Problem is when you do, it can go a bit too far (4th Test, India vs Aus!)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scallywag said:
Ponting also said this,

"England have obviously played some great cricket lately, won a lot of Test matches, and are a good side."
"It's going to be a huge series," Ponting said. "It's going to be the biggest that's been played for some time. All of our guys are talking about it in that way."
He mean't biggest media-hyped series when he said "biggest". Aussie have often talked England up before the Ashes series in recent years. As professional cricketers its in their interest that there is great interest and hype before the Ashes. I remember both Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh making the same sorts of statements in the past and then thumping England.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
He mean't biggest media-hyped series when he said "biggest". Aussie have often talked England up before the Ashes series in recent years. As professional cricketers its in their interest that there is great interest and hype before the Ashes. I remember both Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh making the same sorts of statements in the past and then thumping England.
The last two Ashes series have actually had a pretty big build-up in the English press though, from what I understand. Leading in to both of them the English side was supposed to be the best in some time, and the best chance in a long while for England to regain the Ashes. Someone more familiar with the English sporting press can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Anyway, this situation is probably pretty similar. The hype is genuine and based in the fans and the media and not just spin from the cricketers themselves, but whether or not that will translate into actual results is yet to be seen.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Back to the topic of the thread I saw in the paper today that the beige brigade are challenging the Aussies to compete in a moustache growing contest for the 20/20 game. Apparently the blackcaps are doing it so the brigade are "encouraging" the Aussies to do the same.

Imagine McGrath running in with a Merv Hughes mo :eek: :shocking:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ming said:
We came pretty damn close in the end with Mills' big hitting.
And why was that? Because Australia took the foot off as they thought the game was safe.

I'm all for supporting my side, but I still believe we only got close in that second match due the release of pressure.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Sir Redman said:
Back to the topic of the thread I saw in the paper today that the beige brigade are challenging the Aussies to compete in a moustache growing contest for the 20/20 game. Apparently the blackcaps are doing it so the brigade are "encouraging" the Aussies to do the same.

Yeah. Just watching the state shield match, Wellington against Canterbury I think, a few days ago, and I saw, to my shock-horror, that Fleming's growing chin pubes!

bryce

International Regular
Voltman said:
And why was that? Because Australia took the foot off as they thought the game was safe.

I'm all for supporting my side, but I still believe we only got close in that second match due the release of pressure.
well there is a rumour going around that australia's big weakness in ODI's at the moment is their bowling through the middle overs and they had to get those bowlers out of the way so they could bowl their big guns at the end

bryce

International Regular
Sir Redman said:

imagine jeff wilson, i can't remember any stage that he has been anything but clean shaven