• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The test 12 I think they'll pick:

Papps
Fleming
Sinclair
Styris
Astle
Oram (batsman only?)
McCullum
Vettori
Wiseman/Mills
Wilson
Tuffey

Explanations....

1/ I've put Fleming in at opener, reading between the lines from CD putting Sinclair back to #3 in the SC recently. Before Christmas he shared a 200+ opening partnership with Jamie How, so you'd think Bracewell would've been p***ed off that CD are no longer giving him chances to get further acccustomed to the role. Instead, we didn't hear a peep out of Braces to my knowledge.

2/ The test series in SA next season shouldn't be written off as an automatic loss (who knows, Bond may be back), which makes it even more important that the BCs figure out who their best opening partnership is before then.

Papps seems as camped on the front foot as ever, and got hit on the shoulder by Ash Turner(!!) on a fairly placid Basin surface the other day. If AUS plays Brett Lee it could get pretty brutal, but I hope the selectors are now prepared to either put Papps under that sort of microscope or rule him out of the SA tour completely. I still remember what Graeme Smith said about ordering some "extreme pace and bounce" in the pitches for that tour!

I think we can virtually rule How out of the AUS tests after his "I've got a lot to learn...I'm not sure I'm ready to face Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath" comments in the Sunday paper. Personally I'd quite like to see him debut in the McLean Park test v. Sri Lanka.

Craig Cumming has probably had the most consistent domestic form of anyone, but I get the impression from Richard Rash (a relative of his) that he's already joined the likes of Gary Stead and Matthew Bell on the 'sorry, we've seen enough to know you'll never make it' scrapheap.

3/ Wiseman may make the XI to ease Vettori's workload (let's face it - we'll occasionally be looking at 140-160 overs to dismiss AUS), and because Bracewell has been quite open about his love for spinners working in tandem. Obviously it would be very unusual for a NZ side to play two spinners in a test at home, but I can see it happening if the dry weather continues. The Basin in particular shapes as being a medium-pacers' graveyard.

4/ If the ball isn't going to deviate off the deck, Tuffey and his scrambled seam haven't shown me anything that will prevent the Aussies from really teeing off against him. I still expect him to be chosen though, being the closest thing we have to experience in our available seamers.

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
although papps has been scoring runs lately i'm beginning to think he may be much more suited to the one-day game and with the length the likes of mcgrath and kasprowicz bowl he will be not be allowed to get on the front foot much at all and would be very vulnerable to knicking the ball behind, have to say i'm leaning more towards cumming or how - or even the fleming/sinclair combination

Craig

World Traveller
thierry henry said:
What do you guys think about the loss of Vettori? Personally, I think that given the nature of NZ conditions historically, it's not a big loss. All of the potential seam options have career averages of less than 30 in NZ (well, Butler averages 30.14 or something), while Vettori's average in NZ is over 37.

I tried this line of reasoning out at another forum tho, and they were all convinced that Vettori was far and away NZ's best bowler and we were no chance without him.
But does he not have a much better career record against Australia? Ok name our better bowlers or spinner then?

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
i rekon give patel some special work + time.. he will be a very very very very good spinner.. just behind veto..

Still.. i thought veto will be playing.. hes been bowling fine in domestic....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeetan Patel has played 3 seasons of FC cricket for Wellington & has showed no real sign of progress. Do you honestly see him as a good international spinner?

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I'd definitely have Franklin in ahead of Wilson. He's been in great form in both forms of the game. Sure he had a bad test against them but deserves another chance.

If Fulton can get into some form I'd put him in ahead of Styris, who seems to have no idea against AUS.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So why would you drop Wilson when he performed above expectations against the World XI?. Franklin clearly has problems with his ODI cricket at the moment, and I doubt putting him back in against Australia would be a very good idea.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Tim said:
So why would you drop Wilson when he performed above expectations against the World XI?. Franklin clearly has problems with his ODI cricket at the moment, and I doubt putting him back in against Australia would be a very good idea.
I agree, Wilson's the kind of rugged, brutal player that is needed to take on Australia aka the Crips from Down Under. He's got the right attitude and just enough talent to warrant his inclusion.

bryce

International Regular
Tim said:
i think he may have been referring to test matches - i'd prefer wilson either way anyway, i'm sure the aussie batsman would love it if franklin played because of the amount of balls he bowls on the pads and wide outside off - he really needs to tighten up his line if he wants a decent international career

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, Franklin is bowling too much into the pads for my liking. And it's well documented of course that Australia love to feed off that area.

He's got to be able to bowl a more consistent line, he's either too straight or way too far outside off to consistently trouble a batsman.

Having said that, if he gets it right..he could be an big handful in NZ conditions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Franklin should definately play in the tests.

Hes a dangerous bowler, and whether he goes for 5 an over or not, he will take wickets.

He should be absolutely vetoed form ODIs though. Shouldnt get near the team.

Josh

International Regular
So, who will replace Watson?? Will they go back to Ian Harvey?? Dominic Thornely (he'd be the frontrunner, being from NSW), maybe James Hopes. Big question mark there.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Styris at 4, Astle at 5 in tests? Look at the last couple of series scorecards, in particular England. These guys are ideally middle order batsman - I think we need another batsman introduced for the balance of the side (and for the FACT that our test batsman have not been performing). Either How or Marshall will do.

I won't be complaining though - if Bracewell keeps away from McMillan!!!!!

shaka

International Regular
McMillan has been on fire in recent weeks for Canterbury. Get a couple of 100's and a few wickets, Bracewell must take this into account though, against spin, he can be the best hitter.