• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka 2019

Moss

International Vice-Captain
When I've seen Rance bowl in NZ in T20I he has been rather good, but overseas I don't think he's up to much. He seems like a "season pro to win a T20 WC" selection, because surely you'd want to look to the future in this format.
Rance reminds me of someone like Michael Mason, good player at the domestic level who'll do well if conditions really suit but doesn't offer a whole lot otherwise.

Looks like he'll play the remaining two games because Southee and Kuggeleijn are the only other frontline quicks: will be an interesting problem for the selectors to have if he does well. If he continues to get carted the selectors should decide to move on.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Also, Rance is 32. Jamieson is 24 and Tickner is 25. I mean...if you wanna build for the future... *insert shrug*

Flem274*

123/5
seth rance swings it both ways in the high 130s. it's obvious he's there because they know the potential upside of someone able to do that to batsmen looking to slog is immense.

unfortunately he hasn't shown he has a plan b when the ball isn't swinging.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Oh please. If we're looking for season pros, surely Tickner or hell, even Jamieson would have been far better choices.

Absolutely pointless picking Rance just coz he slog a bit (you'll get absolutely nothing out of him realistically, more often than not)
I'm a fan of Tickner, and wasn't defending Rance's selection, but I can see the reasoning why.

Rance reminds me of someone like Michael Mason, good player at the domestic level who'll do well if conditions really suit but doesn't offer a whole lot otherwise.

Looks like he'll play the remaining two games because Southee and Kuggeleijn are the only other frontline quicks: will be an interesting problem for the selectors to have if he does well. If he continues to get carted the selectors should decide to move on.
It's interesting to see how Rance has changed his game in the last few seasons, even seemingly becoming quicker. He's like a budget Ryan Harris lifetime movie of the week.

Also, Rance is 32. Jamieson is 24 and Tickner is 25. I mean...if you wanna build for the future... *insert shrug*
They probably see Ferguson as taking up one of the 'building for the future' spots, ditto Kuggleijn. With A World T20 coming up they probably want some guy he's been there, done that in terms of experience, and Rance is the best they can muster.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
seth rance swings it both ways in the high 130s. it's obvious he's there because they know the potential upside of someone able to do that to batsmen looking to slog is immense.

unfortunately he hasn't shown he has a plan b when the ball isn't swinging.
I'd be totally fine with that if he was a good death option. Not sure he is. I actually really like him as a bowler, I think he'd make a decent ODI option in our conditions if he wasn't behind a log jam of even better bowlers. Plus I care little for T20s so I plump for other options who can be exposed to international cricket with a view to contributing in other formats.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
That win is a pleasant surprise, or maybe it shouldn't be. Thought NZ were up against it with no Taylor, losing Guptill before the start of the innings and then losing three in the first five overs itself, then it became a (mostly) well controlled chase. CdG's confidence seems to have jumped a level post the world cup, he should be very happy with having secured a chase against a spin-focused attack in their backyard. Also good to see Bruce and Rance justify their selections..neither would be in my preferred XI or squad, but this kind of depth can only be good.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So Akila was left out of the 2nd Test because of his suspect action, even though he was permitted to play during that time? And now he hasn't been cleared but he's back playing? Have I summarised that correctly? Or have I missed something? Fair to say that might have decided how the Test series eventually played out.

Flem274*

123/5
i mean i don't think he's particularly suited to t20 but let's just recap

odi bowlers athlai doesn't rate

matt henry

odi bowlers athlai rates

tim southee

vandem

International 12th Man
So Akila was left out of the 2nd Test because of his suspect action, even though he was permitted to play during that time? And now he hasn't been cleared but he's back playing? Have I summarised that correctly? Or have I missed something? Fair to say that might have decided how the Test series eventually played out.
My understanding was that Akila was left out of 2nd test mainly because Dilwuran Perera (the senior test offie, 50 wickets @ 29 in 2018) was fit again. The impact of the looming biomechanical assessment may have also been a contributing factor in the non-selection in the playing XI.

I assume results from the assessment are pending ....

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...uspension-being-reported-suspect-action-again

Athlai

Not Terrible
i mean i don't think he's particularly suited to t20 but let's just recap

odi bowlers athlai doesn't rate

matt henry

odi bowlers athlai rates

tim southee
I only rate Southee above Henry, I don't legitimately think hes one of the best 3 ODI pace bowlers in NZ right now.

Top 5 for sure :)

Also fairly funny that you use this Rance game to criticise my Southee pick when he was MOTM through his bowling performance in the game and did well in the first game too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I only rate Southee above Henry, I don't legitimately think hes one of the best 3 ODI pace bowlers in NZ right now.

Also fairly funny that you use this Rance game to criticise my Southee pick when he was MOTM through his bowling performance in the game and did well in the first game too.
You're not helping yourself.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He had to go and get tested within a set period, I think he may have ended up unavailable for the Test because he was having his action tested at the time.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He had to go and get tested within a set period, I think he may have ended up unavailable for the Test because he was having his action tested at the time.
I think I read an article that said he was being tested in 14 days but was still available to play during that time.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Even after the World Cup? You think Southee could have had the tournament Henry did?

You honestly rate Tim 'hasn't averaged under 30 in an ODI calendar year since 2011' Southee?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yep, primarily because Henry is a spud. Southee would have beat up Sri Lanka Bangers and Afghanistan and ended the tournament with decent enough figures.

It's unlikely he'd have had a good a game as Henry in the semi final but hey, lets not split hairs.