• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in West Indies, AUG 10 to 21, 2022

WICFan

U19 Captain
Since Dessie took over as chairman of selectors the white ball selection has been all over the place.

Just take a step back and think...two of our most important batting slots in T20 cricket are occupied by Brooks and Thomas....

It makes no sense at all and I'm honestly fed up. I'll look at the lineup next game and if it's the same I'm not going to bother watching, it's pointless.
With no sign of Lewis, I'd have used this series to try Hemraj or Kennar Lewis as opener.

Does anybody know what Rovman Powell's role is in the side? He looks like a walking wicket at the minute.

I'd go with a middle-order of Hetmyer, Mayers and Pooran.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since Dessie took over as chairman of selectors the white ball selection has been all over the place.

Just take a step back and think...two of our most important batting slots in T20 cricket are occupied by Brooks and Thomas....

It makes no sense at all and I'm honestly fed up. I'll look at the lineup next game and if it's the same I'm not going to bother watching, it's pointless.
All in the name of ‘experimentation’, I suppose…with a grain of salt.

There was a time not too long ago when I had some optimism…the likes of Lewis, Rutherford,etc

Heck, there was even Pierre who wasn’t that bad at all.

All over the place right now

SillyCowCorner1

With no sign of Lewis, I'd have used this series to try Hemraj or Kennar Lewis as opener.

Does anybody know what Rovman Powell's role is in the side? He looks like a walking wicket at the minute.

The problem with Hemraj and Lewis is their fitness.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain

Yeah I agree. Basically, can we select people who can actually bat at at a strikerate of more than 120 in T20 cricket? There is absolutely no logic behind the white ball selections at the moment. Thomas and Brooks have never achieved anything in T20 cricket and the sample size is not tiny at all with over 150 matches between them at domestic level. It honestly feels to me that Dessie is not clued up on modern T20 cricket and therefore we are being presented with this shambles of a T20 lineup.

Brandon King has been pretty average at international white ball cricket so far but yet I find myself eagerly awaiting his return. He and Mayers have a really good record together opening with 4 50 plus stands already. So that needs to be persevered with in Evin's absence.

For me it should be simple, give these guys defined roles and stick to them:

Kyle Mayers
Brandon King
Nicholas Pooran
Rovman Powell
Shimron Hetmeyer
Jason Holder
Odean Smith
Akheil Hossein
Alzarri Joseph
Hayden Walsh Jr/Gudakesh Motie
Obed McCoy

It's not the best XI in the world and would obviously be a lot stronger with Evin, Narine, Russell etc but it is one that could win some matches and maybe get to a world cup semi final if the stars aligned. What is currently being selected is an absolute joke and not representative of the talent we have available.

ashley bach

International Captain
Guptill sucks in white ball tournaments and while Williamson was good in this match he also plods along at 115 SR quite a bit. I'd much rather only have one of the two in the top 3.
He did manage to be the leading run scorer in the 2015 world cup so he has some credentials. Because of his very solid white ball history it's very hard
to see the selectors give him the flick unless he has a really bad trough. Would love to see more of Finn opening with him even though the jury is still
very much open to weather he'll be good enough.Think he'll play the ODIs, NZ appear to have too many good opening options in 20/20s with Devon and
of course Mitchell who did great in last years cup.

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah I agree. Basically, can we select people who can actually bat at at a strikerate of more than 120 in T20 cricket? There is absolutely no logic behind the white ball selections at the moment. Thomas and Brooks have never achieved anything in T20 cricket and the sample size is not tiny at all with over 150 matches between them at domestic level. It honestly feels to me that Dessie is not clued up on modern T20 cricket and therefore we are being presented with this shambles of a T20 lineup.

Brandon King has been pretty average at international white ball cricket so far but yet I find myself eagerly awaiting his return. He and Mayers have a really good record together opening with 4 50 plus stands already. So that needs to be persevered with in Evin's absence.

For me it should be simple, give these guys defined roles and stick to them:

Kyle Mayers
Brandon King
Nicholas Pooran
Rovman Powell
Shimron Hetmeyer
Jason Holder
Odean Smith
Akheil Hossein
Alzarri Joseph
Hayden Walsh Jr/Gudakesh Motie
Obed McCoy

It's not the best XI in the world and would obviously be a lot stronger with Evin, Narine, Russell etc but it is one that could win some matches and maybe get to a world cup semi final if the stars aligned. What is currently being selected is an absolute joke and not representative of the talent we have available.

Kyle Mayers- Opener/All-Rounder
Brandon King- Opener
Nicholas Pooran- Rock/Smash
Rovman Powell- Smash
Shimron Hetmeyer- rock/smash/smash/finisher
Jason Holder- what’s my role?
Odean Smith- SMASH!!!!!
Akheil Hossein- repair after a top-order collapse/spin option
Alzarri Joseph- bowling equivalent of Smash
Hayden Walsh Jr/Gudakesh Motie- should be a wicket-taker rather than a container…which Motie is both
Obed McCoy- Jekyll and Hyde

Add:

Seales
Leroy Lugg
John Campbell
Mark Deyal
Jon-Russ Jagessar
Kevin Sinclair
Nedd (he’s gonna light up the CPL this year)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He did manage to be the leading run scorer in the 2015 world cup so he has some credentials. Because of his very solid white ball history it's very hard
to see the selectors give him the flick unless he has a really bad trough. Would love to see more of Finn opening with him even though the jury is still
very much open to weather he'll be good enough.Think he'll play the ODIs, NZ appear to have too many good opening options in 20/20s with Devon and
If there's a format that Allen should be playing it's definitely T20's, would strike me as pretty odd if they rested him for the T20 series and played him in the ODI'.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Kyle Mayers- Opener/All-Rounder
Brandon King- Opener
Nicholas Pooran- Rock/Smash
Rovman Powell- Smash
Shimron Hetmeyer- rock/smash/smash/finisher
Jason Holder- what’s my role?
Odean Smith- SMASH!!!!!
Akheil Hossein- repair after a top-order collapse/spin option
Alzarri Joseph- bowling equivalent of Smash
Hayden Walsh Jr/Gudakesh Motie- should be a wicket-taker rather than a container…which Motie is both
Obed McCoy- Jekyll and Hyde

Add:

Seales
Leroy Lugg
John Campbell
Mark Deyal
Jon-Russ Jagessar
Kevin Sinclair
Nedd (he’s gonna light up the CPL this year)
100%. That's an okish side right there. Instead we're watching pure stupidness. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

thundaboult

International Debutant
OK-ish game for us but its a first showing for our full strength side in almost a year. They've got a lot of time to gel now within the next few months. Do think that Allen needs a run but maybe a swansong (hopefully on the back of some runs) for guppy at this t20wc and its allen time. Bowlers really lost the plot at the end their with the full tosses. They'll be back though.

Mike5181

International Captain
I'll admit that 237* against West Indies in 2015 was an amazing innings but that was one game. 9 times out of 10 that NZ team in those conditions are beating a side with one guy in their top 7 averaging over 32 anyway.

His T20 World Cup numbers here, semi-final and final numbers here. His ODI World Cup numbers against top 8 sides (without that one innings) here, . His semi-final and final numbers here. I don't think that's a very solid history at all.

WICFan

U19 Captain
ODI Squad:
Nicholas Pooran (Capt), Shai Hope (Vice Capt), Shamarh Brooks, Keacy Carty, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Keemo Paul, Jayden Seales, Kevin Sinclair

*Gudakesh Motie will be added to to squad subject to a fitness test.

Chase and Cottrell are injured, Allen is missing due to personal reasons.

Powell and Shepherd dropped.

SillyCowCorner1

ODI Squad:
Nicholas Pooran (Capt), Shai Hope (Vice Capt), Shamarh Brooks, Keacy Carty, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Keemo Paul, Jayden Seales, Kevin Sinclair

*Gudakesh Motie will be added to to squad subject to a fitness test.

Chase and Cottrell are injured, Allen is missing due to personal reasons.

Powell and Shepherd dropped.
A fractured thumb takes two weeks to heal? Not sure how that works, but hope we get him back for the ODI’s.

Powell has lost his direction and hunger compared to earlier in the year.

Shepherd is inconsistent and leaks runs without breaking a sweat. A rightful drop.

And only last night i mentioned Kevin Sinclair’s name & he’s back. He can bat and bowl

WICFan

U19 Captain
A fractured thumb takes two weeks to heal? Not sure how that works, but hope we get him back for the ODI’s.

Powell has lost his direction and hunger compared to earlier in the year.

Shepherd is inconsistent and leaks runs without breaking a sweat. A rightful drop.

And only last night i mentioned Kevin Sinclair’s name & he’s back. He can bat and bowl
For someone who was lauded for how he's improved his batting against spinners, Powell has looked lost at times playing against spin bowling recently.

Agree about Shepherd, looks a 'bits n pieces' player.