• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

SeamUp

International Coach
St. George's Park has always been very flat, hasn't it?
Definitely not very flat.

There will be some nibble around and spin can be used successfully as well. Don't want to drop to short there though with the slow tennis ball bounce.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Definitely not very flat.

There will be some nibble around and spin can be used successfully as well. Don't want to drop to short there though with the slow tennis ball bounce.
Ah okay. Haven't been following the first class circuit that closely and they haven't played a test there for what feels like centuries. What I do know is that the ODI I did watch there turned out to be (what was then) a record chase.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ah okay. Haven't been following the first class circuit that closely and they haven't played a test there for what feels like centuries. What I do know is that the ODI I did watch there turned out to be (what was then) a record chase.
South Africa historically don't like playing tests there. It seams around a wee bit too much for their batsman.

SeamUp

International Coach
South Africa historically don't like playing tests there. It seams around a wee bit too much for their batsman.
And Wanderers, Centurion and Newlands (early on ?) don't get sideways movement ?

Think its more the lack of pace and tennis ball bounce that has been a concern at times. Almost like the new Durban pitch is now. Want the old Durban back !

SeamUp

International Coach

Been low ODI scores at St George's this season but can't look too much into that.

Another major factor is dealing with the wind there.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
In all seriousness I expect the NZ bowling attacks to do quite well. Their batsmen are going to get ripped to shreds however

Marius

International Debutant
They haven't played a Test there since 2007, when WI won.

Marius

International Debutant
NZ are going to get a smack I'm afraid.

They might win a T20 or ODI or two, but they are going to get hammered.

There are also three SA-born players in the various squads, Watling, Wagner, and Munro.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA assistant coach, Russell Domingo, to look after the T20 stuff vs NZL & PAK. Going down a similar route as the English.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully NZ pick Wagner. Ex-saffies always seem to do amazing against their home country
Which the test averages of Trott, Prior, Strauss and KP against South Africa don’t illustrate. Kruger van Wyk was also a roaring success against South Africa.

Howsie

International Captain
Christ, that didn't take Anderson long at all did it. Two months of cricket where he's fully healthy and he's playing international cricket. Big call but I wouldn't be shocked to see him playing test cricket within six months if he stays fit.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully NZ pick Wagner. Ex-saffies always seem to do amazing against their home country
Hopefully not. He's bloody average.

And Anderson has to be one of the most unexpected and undeserved selections I can remember. Bowled a total of 3 overs in domestic T20, averages 16 or something with the bat. Reward for staying fit for a few days in a row. I'd be surprised if he played Test cricket in the next 3 years - he's nowhere near it.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah. Not impressed at all with the Anderson selection.

Neesham and Munro having good Plunket Shield seasons, and both had good LO performances last season.

Eliis out injured, Oram going through the motions. I understand them picking young allrounders to fill those gaps.

But I can only assume Anderson is in for the unavailable Taylor, as a wild last minute undeserved hail mary selection.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Indeed, I think van Wyk would have done ok for that reason and the pitches would have suited his game more. Although I can understand the selection of Watling.

I wouldn't mind if another ex saffa, Grant Elliot was recalled for the ODI series - he showed some form in the T20 game last night for Wellington. Another who might do well on those pitches. I still remember his brilliant century at the MCG against Australia.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Christ, that didn't take Anderson long at all did it. Two months of cricket where he's fully healthy and he's playing international cricket. Big call but I wouldn't be shocked to see him playing test cricket within six months if he stays fit.
Interesting. He's been ear marked for a long time. IIRC he toured with NZ A when he was 18 (instead of touring England with the under 19's which Williamson captained) and did pretty well. Hugely talented, I think he will handle the step up.

Last edited:

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Chris Martin to break his all time high score in the first test with 13 not out.

Rest of the order to collapse for about 150. The test series is going to be tough.