• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And Astle's luck runs out. That was missing leg and probably clearing the stumps too.

But he should have been out hours ago anyway. Good innings though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
And Astle's luck runs out. That was missing leg and probably clearing the stumps too.

But he should have been out hours ago anyway. Good innings though.
Yeah not a particularly good decision from de Silva, it's nigh impossible for Ntini to get LBW’s and that’s why.

_Ed_

Fleming's playing some great shots...but Boje and Smith are doing him some favours with the full tosses.

_Ed_

Not clever running there.

And the new batsman, McCullum, is described by the commentator as "a useful batsman". Better not go overboard with the praise there...

_Ed_

Century for Fleming. Brought it up with his worst shot of the day but never mind.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
The commentators have been really poor... Ian Bishop should try and be more neutral to balance things out a bit.
Sadly its better than the first test.. but still horrible...

That neil johnson is alrite thou

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Today showed how poor Boje is.

On a track that turned from day 1 he could not cope with his change of role.

He bowled some fantastic deliveries but was so inconsistent that he was unable to build any pressure and allowed NZ batsmen to score of a number of bad balls.

In 1 over he bowled a beauty to Astle that piched on middle and turned past the edge. The other 5 balls in the over pitched outside off and posed no problem.

He then found it fun to mix up his length.

On a track that helped him it was a below average performance.

Heres hoping Vettori does a better job.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The guy’s hopeless, says something when Smith when he was not bowling the full tosses looked more potent. Though for some strange reason he keeps getting wickets in Supersport but going by his performances in the test match arena South Africa might as well have Justin Ontong in the team. Sad thing is he has no competition, other than Thandi Tshabalala but his progression of late has been slow. South Africa should contemplate either having an Ontong like figure in the team or just going with four seamers, Ntini, Steyn, Nel, Pollock with Kallis and Smith chucking there arm over here and there.

Tough call for the selectors with Sri Lanka away coming up, there was talk of two spinners playing in the team, I’ll be surprised if that occurs or if two spinners even go on tour.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Opinions on the day’s play? for me other than the turn that Boje and Smith got the pitch looks pretty good to bat on and I think if South Africa could roll over New Zealand tomorrow for anything under 350 they should be pretty happy with their work. Sure if things had went their way New Zealand could have been 130 odd for five but 265 for 6, new ball in a couple of overs, pretty good position if you ask me. Be fascinating to see how South Africa cope with the New Zealand spinners.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Though for some strange reason he keeps getting wickets in Supersport but going by his performances in the test match arena South Africa might as well have Justin Ontong in the team. Sad thing is he has no competition, other than Thandi Tshabalala but his progression of late has been slow. South Africa should contemplate either having an Ontong like figure in the team or just going with four seamers, Ntini, Steyn, Nel, Pollock with Kallis and Smith chucking there arm over here and there.

Tough call for the selectors with Sri Lanka away coming up, there was talk of two spinners playing in the team, I’ll be surprised if that occurs or if two spinners even go on tour.
Sri Lanka will be interesting. Thandi Tshabalala must tour even if it is just part of his development. If he plays well maybe he will squeeze a game in. I have a high opinion of him.

Adams toured with the A team and even though he is barely a club level cricketer now he is not yet 30 and the selectors still have him in mind.

Ontong has never taken 5wkts in a FC innings and has a FC bowling av of over 45.

Paul Harris was the leading wickettaker in the Supersport this year but was very disappointing in the final.

I honestly think that 4 seamers is the way to go, with Smith filling in and one of the young guys to come in if needed or on form

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Sri Lanka will be interesting. Thandi Tshabalala must tour even if it is just part of his development. If he plays well maybe he will squeeze a game in. I have a high opinion of him.

Adams toured with the A team and even though he is barely a club level cricketer now he is not yet 30 and the selectors still have him in mind.

Ontong has never taken 5wkts in a FC innings and has a FC bowling av of over 45.

Paul Harris was the leading wickettaker in the Supersport this year but was very disappointing in the final.

I honestly think that 4 seamers is the way to go, with Smith filling in and one of the young guys to come in if needed or on form
I would agree with your last point but regarding Thandi, only five games for the Eagles in Supersport is not enough to get or even deserve a test call up if you ask me. Ontong was just a throw away remark but his batting has improved considerably if he could just learn to even dry an end up, he would be a valuable assist IMO. Not seen enough of Paul Harris to comment but Paul Adams you would think his time has come and gone though he was selected as part of the High Performance Programme, probably with Sri Lanka in mind.

Natman20

International Debutant
When the ODI series was on last year against South Africa I stopped listening to the commentary in the middle of the night because a few of the South African commentators were incredibly biased and saying negative comments about anything to do with New Zealand and saying oh look how great this guy is botting/bowling from the South African team it really gets on my nerves. (Radio)

Anyway good century by Fleming even though I saw none of it and only listened to hear part of his innings. 265-6 is still not a comfortable position and I would hope we would make it to at least 340 but probably not. I want to see Patel bowl in a test situation as he is known to be more of a Twenty20 player.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Pig got one hell of a working over from Ntini, great fast bowling. Also how plumb was Fleming.
Makes up for the first innings of the first test then, doesn't it? ;)

Loony BoB

International Captain
TT Boy said:
Yeah, it's all swings and roundabouts.
...that's scarey. I was just thinking of posting those exact words (literally) when I read that post a short while ago. That's freaky, man. Get out of my head. :(

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Loony BoB said:
...that's scarey. I was just thinking of posting those exact words (literally) when I read that post a short while ago. That's freaky, man. Get out of my head. :(
Did you ever care to think that maybe your in my head? sort of like Total Recall only not.

I was going to say great minds think alike but I feel I could be lying. :happy:

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
Heres hoping Vettori does a better job.
Because if he doesn't, all the Vettori haters will come out of the woodwork again.

I hope (for his sake) that Jeet's doesn't outbowl him.