• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Last night's match was nicely poised…for a change Shane Bond was bowling at good line and length at some pretty good pace…I hope he is finding back his rhythm at last. It would’ve been interesting to see how the match would’ve ended. I hate it so much when it rains especially in a one I’ve waited the whole week to watch :(

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Watching Vincent swing wildly and subsequently getting caught behind after we lost Astle early in the previous match simply angers me.

Part of the top order problems is that numbers 3, 4 and 5 have been far from settled. I have no idea why they are persisting with Vincent so high, he is a 5 or 6. And also his role in the team once again has me scratching my head. If he is being used as a pinch hitter, why not put Andre Adams up there? He was tried there in the VB Series of 2001/2, and has shown his talent to hit consistently well.

Sacrificing a top order batsman is beyond me.

If NZ have serious aspirations for the World Cup, which is sneaking up quite quickly, the top order is surely our number one area to sort out. Astle and Fleming are both proven performers, but i can count only a handful of times they have put on a 50+ opening stand.

The other thought is to try McCullum up there, and shift Astle or Fleming down one.

I can't help wondering what difference Chris Cairns would have made. Although out of form, admitted by himself, his sheer influence would surely have tipped the scales in our favour with those run chases. He may not have scored runs, and it is debatable, however his calmness under pressure is something we have lacked. Bowling at the death our other Archilles heel - Cairns is our most experienced and successful current bowler, and you can't help thinking what his mixture of slower balls and guile might have achieved.

If Bracewell is talking about 'building for the World Cup', then what is happening with Jeetan Patel? To me he is nowhere near the standard required. He has played one game and was dropped for the rest of the matches. If Cairns is in his WC plans, then surely the more match time he has the better?

In fact, Bracewell justified Cairns' sacking with the selection of James Franklin, suggesting that his swing bowling would be more of an asset than the aging allrounder. Franklin has since appeared in one match, which was rained out. If you are selecting your best players, then why has Franklin not been used more often?

Cairns is at home, played club cricket and training in nets.

Ample preparation for the Australians eh?

Jacob Oram hardly shone in Zimbabwe either. The fact that the plane journey caused his back stiffness suggests that he wasn't fully fit to start with. With Styris suffering niggling injuries, our lack of allrounder depth has been brutally exposed.

This tour has thrown up more confusion for me than anything else.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I was impressed by Patel , but am not sure he is the right bowler at the death.

He needs more opportunity . It is unfair to dismiss him as being not upto standard IMO, considering the few ODI s he has played .

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
JASON said:
I was impressed by Patel , but am not sure he is the right bowler at the death.

He needs more opportunity . It is unfair to dismiss him as being not upto standard IMO, considering the few ODI s he has played .
Fair enough, but if i would have picked another place to give him experience. There is nothing tougher than South Africa in South Africa.

To be honest, i think that Bracewell picked him largely on his ability to both at the death, rather than as a complement to Daniel Vettori.

To me that shows shallowness in selection policies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
AndrewM said:
Fair enough, but if i would have picked another place to give him experience. There is nothing tougher than South Africa in South Africa.

To be honest, i think that Bracewell picked him largely on his ability to both at the death, rather than as a complement to Daniel Vettori.

To me that shows shallowness in selection policies.
Don't u think India in INdia or Australia in Australia would be tougher than RSA in RSA?

Blaze

Banned
honestbharani said:
Don't u think India in INdia or Australia in Australia would be tougher than RSA in RSA?

No I agree with him. SA in SA is much more intimidating for US than anywhere else. Especially when you consider our record there.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting..it seems since the Zimbabwe tour that Lou Vincent has decided to play alot more aggressively these days.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I hope they can both hold on and get past 50 and eventually one( ..or even both) will get past 100 to setup the match for us...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from rain, it could also be argued that NZ have created their own mis-fortune.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
Apart from rain, it could also be argued that NZ have created their own mis-fortune.
true.....Although I think they have been well placed in both the last 2 games until rain came, but obviously early days in both games.

The most crucial point in the series for me was when Astle missed that caught and bowled off Kemp in the first game. IMO that first win meant so much....

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oh c'mon, they were showing NZ vs. AUS, ICC 2004 Cup, 1 run needed to win off 80 or so balls and they cut to live coverage of this damn game, wanted to see the Aussies win. :P

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The New Zealand Selectors would do Hamish Marshall a huge favour if they dropped him .....the guy is so far out of form and confidence at the moment its not funny.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose they were trying to show faith in Hamish but he really does look way out of form right now. And it's not going to get any easier for him with 3 ODI's against Australia up next.

The problem is that Fulton will not be playing any competitive cricket now until early December so he won't really have had anything solid to go up against Australia with.