• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand in India Nov-Dec 2021 Thread***

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damn. Well, at least the controversy around the stumping appeal won't come to anything now.

Zinzan

I'm sorry, you deserve a lot of criticism for coming out and playing for the draw when you have 9 wickets in hand and a required run rate of 3.
It really is one of those wickets that you can survive on with tight defense and playing late, but is high risk when attacking good spinners.

Anyway, Taylor gone. Do we have permission do play for a draw yet lol?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ross was never going to be capable of blocking things out. Really would have been nice to put the bowlers under even a modicum of pressure.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Happy for Ross to prove me wrong in Mumbai but on the evidence of his last 3 subcontinent tours, NZ should never have played him as a no4 batsman on this tour.

nzfan

The target is technically 280 in 80 overs given the light. That's over 3 rpo on 5th day pitch. Don't think it was never on.

I thought we were going to shake hands an hour into tea and walk away but Taylor gets out.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Very unsurprising way for Taylor to go. NZ need Williamson to bat probably 20 overs of the final session to survive.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I'm sorry, you deserve a lot of criticism for coming out and playing for the draw when you have 8 wickets in hand and a required run rate of 3.
It’s not the run rate it is the 285 needed that is too much
Blame India for too safe a declaration and killing the game
They should have given us 240 or maybe 250 at most to chase
Virat kohli is a better captain than Rahane and would have set a better target

morgieb

Taylor probably should've tried to put some pressure back on the bowlers, now with only two possible results that eases things up significantly for Indian bowlers unless New Zealand go full Vihari/Ashwin (maybe possible?)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They are definitely not going to go for it unless its like KJ and another bowler left and they have better chance surviving by playing shots than blocking.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It really is one of those wickets that you can survive on with tight defense and playing late, but is high risk when attacking good spinners.
Don't really agree. Both Shreyas Iyer and Will Young scored runs by punishing the bad balls.

Look I don't think we could have chased this anyway but I think it would have been good to put the bowlers under some pressure, particularly in the first innings but also e.g. from Ross Taylor today who was never going to be capable of just blocking things out.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
They are definitely not going to go for it unless its like KJ and another bowler left and they have better chance surviving by playing shots than blocking.
Everyone barring Latham and Williamson has a better chance of surviving by playing shots (within reason).

Burner

International Regular
It’s not the run rate it is the 285 needed that is too much
Blame India for too safe a declaration and killing the game
They should have given us 240 or maybe 250 at most to chase
Virat kohli is a better captain than Rahane and would have set a better target
Lol. Only an absolute spud would have declared at 240. And Kohli would have set a bigger target if anything.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Look I don't think we could have chased this anyway but I think it would have been good to put the bowlers under some pressure, particularly in the first innings but also e.g. from Ross Taylor today who was never going to be capable of just blocking things out.
Yes I think our chance of chasing this score today was approximately zero, because India could always fall back to defensive bowling and fields to make scoring very difficult. However there was value in playing shots and scoring runs to push India into that, which improves the chance of a draw.

nzfan

Don't really agree. Both Shreyas Iyer and Will Young scored runs by punishing the bad balls.

First inning yes, don't know why we shut shop unnecessarily. That's where we lost momentum.

Moss

Taylor probably should've tried to put some pressure back on the bowlers, now with only two possible results that eases things up significantly for Indian bowlers unless New Zealand go full Vihari/Ashwin (maybe possible?)
Agreed, blocking vs spin never has worked for him. Would have been super useful if he got some quick runs.