• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

TumTum

Banned
There is no way you can judge anyone's potential to develop into an all-time great based on one innings.
Especially when the kid is 20!
I beg to differ.

Kane does posses a very good technique, but really he doesn't know how to use it. And I reckon it is something in your blood and something you are born with to be able to use your technique to the fullest and find the gaps and know the right shot to play.

Good examples of these kind of ATG's are Tendulkar and Ponting. Both were extremely good even at a young age and they played almost as similar in their early days as day do now.

Sorry but I just don't believe that someone as raw as Kane can develop his game and dominate bowlers. Not gonna happen.

Flem274*

123/5
We need that footage of Kane taking Shane Bond to the cleaners the other year ago. Howsie pops up with random **** all the time. Do you have it Howsie?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol at writing off a kid at 20. One of the funniest things I've read.

Dravid at 20 didn't get a look-in, and he's an all-time great.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lol at writing off a kid at 20. One of the funniest things I've read.

Dravid at 20 didn't get a look-in, and he's an all-time great.
He's always had some weird theories on being able to judge players on small visual sample sizes.

Flem274*

123/5
I beg to differ.

Kane does posses a very good technique, but really he doesn't know how to use it. And I reckon it is something in your blood and something you are born with to be able to use your technique to the fullest and find the gaps and know the right shot to play.

Good examples of these kind of ATG's are Tendulkar and Ponting. Both were extremely good even at a young age and they played almost as similar in their early days as day do now.

Sorry but I just don't believe that someone as raw as Kane can develop his game and dominate bowlers. Not gonna happen.
I'm not too worried about ATG at this stage because that's waaay away, but you do know he shelved his front foot drives and played defensively on purpose right?:p

TumTum

Banned
I'm not too worried about ATG at this stage because that's waaay away, but you do know he shelved his front foot drives and played defensively on purpose right?:p
No I didn't know that. First of all, why may I ask?

And secondly even playing defensively, his front foot technique is great, but the ball doesn't come cleanly of the bat and there isn't any conviction in most of his shots.

It's just the small things with Kane that doesn't look right. Personally I don't believe he will be successful against good bowling attacks.

Spark

Global Moderator
I suspect his experience WRT to international debuts and front foot drives may have something to do with it...

And geez... bit early to be talking about ATG isn't it?

Flem274*

123/5
No I didn't know that. First of all, why may I ask?

And secondly even playing defensively, his front foot technique is great, but the ball doesn't come cleanly of the bat and there isn't any conviction in most of his shots.

It's just the small things with Kane that doesn't look right. Personally I don't believe he will be successful against good bowling attacks.
He shelved it because it was getting him out in the ODIs. Smart imo. He's probably looking to reintroduce it once he gets into the groove of subcontinental test batting.

He didn't look like an ATG no, but it's his first test innings in the country the most different from where he's batted his whole life ffs. I'm not even thinking about ATG status for him atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I suspect his experience WRT to international debuts and front foot drives may have something to do with it...

Yep. As I said earlier in the thread - that, plus the fact that the pitch was slow and the ball was really holding up, meant it was a good idea. He's obviously a better back foot player than front foot player at this stage but it was pretty obvious that he decided he was going to put away the drive and wait for the shorter stuff. Impressively well thought-out for a 20 year old debutant.

TumTum

Banned
He didn't look like an ATG no, but it's his first test innings in the country the most different from where he's batted his whole life ffs. I'm not even thinking about ATG status for him atm.
I know obviously you can't judge if he is an ATG or not because he hasn't done anything. But I am just predicting if he will be or not, and with most ATG's you can get a feeling of their future greatness very early on.

He shelved it because it was getting him out in the ODIs. Smart imo. He's probably looking to reintroduce it once he gets into the groove of subcontinental test batting.
He got out to 1 peach of an out-swinger on the drive, for someone at his age I really don't understand this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Neither did a certain Bradman.
TumTum is obsessed with how batsmen look though. He was making all sorts of lofty predictions about Williamson after watching him register a 9 ball duck in an ODI. Compared him to Ponting or something ridiculous. Doesn't seem to care too much about what they score.

TumTum

Banned
I don't know. IIRC Tendulkar didn't have a wonderful first dig.
He was tipped to be the next big thing at a very early age by many people that saw him play. I didn't see him when he just started his international career, but even with his low scores he did look impressive.

I remember watching where he straight-drove Waqar straight back down the ground on his Test debut. You could see the genius already in that short period. And he was 16 then?

thierry henry

International Coach
Days late on this, but Patel's new non-run-up makes him look so innocuous. Since previously he looked like a bowler but wasn't one, maybe this is a masterstroke.

TumTum

Banned
TumTum is obsessed with how batsmen look though. He was making all sorts of lofty predictions about Williamson after watching him register a 9 ball duck in an ODI. Compared him to Ponting or something ridiculous. Doesn't seem to care too much about what they score.
Yes I did say that and I stand by it. He has great technique, but he doesn't know how to use it.

Last edited:
Great fightback from the Kiwis.Precious few expected NZ to even bat the day out.

Ind have no one but themselves to blame-if they hadn't said no to udrs,kw would have been back in the hut.Really that was a shocker.Asian umpires all tend to be crap(except Dar).

The wall showed us that he just isn't mr. Dependable anymore-dropped a sitter that cost what,50-60 runs?It isn't a one-off-he has dropped plenty in recent times.

Tomorrow should be interesting.Day 4 is the day things start happening usually,expect 14-15 wickets to fall.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Your.Avatar.Is.Mine.

Pretty happy with it so far. Expected India to be completely flat, instead, they are almost completely flat.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hardly cheering. Happy that they aren't already on the verge of losing.

Seriously, our non-Zaheer bowling is absolutely rank.