• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Decent middle order for NZ potentially - Taylor, Ryder, Williamson, Vettori. Shame about their top 3 though. And their bowling.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ryder > Crowe. There, I said it.

And no, I don't think he's better yet, and I doubt he will be. Won't be surprised if Ryder ends up with the better stats though.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's quite exciting to think that in a couple of years time, we could have a top order of:

McCullum
Raval/Brodie/worst case scenario McIntosh
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori

That looks a pretty classy top six if you ask me. Although I still reckon there's a lot of potential to be 5/150 a lot of the time

chicane

State Captain
All three tons against India, still he's awesome.

NZ have done as well as any other team would have hoped to.

Flem274*

123/5
Ryder was always talked up as being the better, more complete batsman than Taylor all through the grades. However Taylor's work ethic paid him divedends of course and he leapfrogged Ryder.

Jess is viewed down here as a bit of a soft **** who makes pretty starts but wastes his talent. Off the field he is an idiot, no question, and he's a frustrating ODI batsman, but every time I've seen him in tests he's looked like test batting is where he's meant to be in life. Jesse's character is at its best with bat in hand. That's twice he's pulled us from a tricky position with a gutsy century. In fact today he was extremely out of form at the start but gritted his teeth and fought for every run. He might be ******** off the field but on it he's a tough mother****er who has a fantastic mix of talent and character.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed, though I would've liked to have seen us score another 40 or 50 runs. There's still potential for us to be rolled tomorrow morning and concede a huge first innings deficit.

Anyone else notice that Jesse seems to lose concentration when he reaches a big milestone. On three occasions now he's got out immediately after reaching a hundred (the single century in the case of his first and most recent, and the double during the napier test). Admittedly in the case of his first century he was batting with Marto, so you can kind of understand him slogging it and getting out. But still it's probably something for him to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's quite exciting to think that in a couple of years time, we could have a top order of:

McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori

That looks a pretty classy top six if you ask me. Although I still reckon there's a lot of potential to be 5/150 a lot of the time
Yeah, you've almost got back the point you were at in between Richardson and Fleming's retirements - a Test standard middle order with a revolving door policy on several terrible openers.

McCullum did surprise me a bit though, I must admit. He got to 15 or so exactly how I expected him to.. by just throwing the bat at everything in a way that definitely won't work consistently on many pitches.. but after that he really settled down and played a proper innings. He could be a decent top order player yet.

Please though, no more Twatling or Guptill until they score score some runs in First Class cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ryder was always talked up as being the better, more complete batsman than Taylor all through the grades. However Taylor's work ethic paid him divedends of course and he leapfrogged Ryder.

Jess is viewed down here as a bit of a soft **** who makes pretty starts but wastes his talent. Off the field he is an idiot, no question, and he's a frustrating ODI batsman, but every time I've seen him in tests he's looked like test batting is where he's meant to be in life. Jesse's character is at its best with bat in hand. That's twice he's pulled us from a tricky position with a gutsy century. In fact today he was extremely out of form at the start but gritted his teeth and fought for every run. He might be ******** off the field but on it he's a tough mother****er who has a fantastic mix of talent and character.
Yeah, Ryder's batting maturity in First Class/Test cricket is extremely under-rated due to several factors - his lifestyle, work ethic, one day batting etc etc. Every indication about his batting in the longer form has been good.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, you've almost got back the point you were at in between Richardson and Fleming's retirements - a Test standard middle order with a revolving door policy on several terrible openers.

McCullum did surprise me a bit though, I must admit. He got to 15 or so exactly how I expected him to.. by just throwing the bat at everything in a way that definitely won't work consistently on many pitches.. but after that he really settled down and played a proper innings. He could be a decent top order player yet.

Please though, no more Twatling or Guptill until they score score some runs in First Class cricket.
What this team needs is more Central Districts.:ph34r:

Sinclair or How for Twatling. Least Skippy would have charged Ojha.

Flem274*

123/5
Now we just need to sort the bowling. There are some prospects, but like the batting just after Fleming's retirement, they're all a couple of years off.

In the meantime, we need to select the good but untried middle aged seamers like Arnel and persist with Southee. Martin can get ****ed.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori

Pity there isn't someone else we can put in at 6 so that Vettori can bat 7 just so that we bat deeper.

Need another prodigy:ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Reckon that wicket could be a pivotal moment of the match. Ball is taking some bite, could get tough to bat on later.

It's why the amount of balls Williamson and Ryder faced along with their runs is so important. Hurt India's chances of forcing a victory, but its not all over.