• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
Hmm - seemed like he was saying the former to me TBH. I can't comment on the latter obviously as I haven't seen Marshall bat before and have no idea how good or poor he was or now is relative to that.

Put it this way, though - he certainly looked a bit better than Taylor did.
My post you refer to in a nutshell

-Improved technique
-Did better than expected (which was a duck). And yes he should have been out but thats Andersons fault.
-Will only be a short term fill in before better players give him the kick.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good, Strauss gets his first runs of the morning too. Hate it when batsmen fall for their overnight\Lunch\Tea score.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ball's gone out of shape, about to be changed. Interesting, maybe that contributed, secondary to the appallingly short length of NZ's bowlers, to the lack of swing they've got so far.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If any CWer's are in St John's Wood, can they pop into the ground and let Kyle Mills know that the three wooden uprights at each end of the pitch with bails on them are called stumps, and ocasionally he's allowed to bowl the ball in the same postcode as them?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Main contributor probably the craphouse Duke ball tbh.
Hahaha. Dukes > Kookas. At least they swing (for more than 10 minutes) when they're properly manufactured.

Well, they do again at the moment, having barely done at all 2001 to 2006.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If any CWer's are in St John's Wood, can they pop into the ground and let Kyle Mills know that the three wooden uprights at each end of the pitch with bails on them are called stumps, and ocasionally he's allowed to bowl the ball in the same postcode as them?
They'll be aiming outside Strauss' off. Has always been the best way to get him, bowling full and wide. Full credit to him, he's removed that weakness from his game completely so far this innings.

If he can play like this for more than a few innings, he should be right back to being a decent Test opener.

And that's the first century opening stand between these two. A day I honestly never thought would come until very, very recently. Strange little coincidence that it comes in the first innings they bat together after it's finally confirmed that Trescothick will never open in a Test again.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I've read, Harris was never a swing-bowler. He just had those 2 games on that ground where it swung for him.
His wrist position means that if the ball 'slips' out of the side of his hand (rather than the fingers actually rolling over it) then it will swing in. I did a rather similar thing up to a couple of years ago - not deliberately of course as it limited my pace significently.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
They'll be aiming outside Strauss' off. Has always been the best way to get him, bowling full and wide. Full credit to him, he's removed that weakness from his game completely so far this innings.

If he can play like this for more than a few innings, he should be right back to being a decent Test opener.

And that's the first century opening stand between these two. A day I honestly never thought would come until very, very recently.
Haven't been paying too much attention but Mills hasn't bowled full or straight enough to intice Strauss' weakness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First boundary off the bat today, off the edge. Cannot believe DannyV hasn't got a third-man in under these circumstances.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Does Vaughan have the genitals to go for a sporting declaration to get NZ in before stumps or will we make sure we only need to bat once?

Once (if, really but I'm fairly confident) we go past NZ's total it will be interesting to see what the philosophy of both teams becomes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At 170 behind currently, it's highly likely to be at least Tea (probably midway through the last session) before we have to answer that question.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not much sense of urgency from the cack-handed opening duo. Think we're on the verge of the fourth maiden on the bounce.

EDIT: Commentator's curse. England take a single. Woo-hoo. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting, Strauss changing a typical guard and standing everso slightly higher, meaning not only is he controlling himself better with his driving but he's controlling his drives better. Exactly what I've been hoping the bloody useless bugger would start doing for at least 12 months.

Very, very encouraging.