• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2021

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the part that bothered me the most.... quite clearly was done on his debut test day. It was not found that day, and clearly both he and ECB could have been warned prior to events if these people chose to do so. They are the one's i'd like see cancelled.
Say you've got two people, one a guy that posted some dumb things on twitter nearly a decade ago as a teenager and the other a person who deliberately saw/found and held on to said twitter posts just to send them to the press and try and ruin someone's life on the day it would hurt them most . . . I think it's pretty clear which one has the bigger issue

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Did our Sports Minister really think he was being helpful by tweeting that Robinson's suspension was over the top and that the ECB should think again? Irrespective of whether the ECB got it right or wrong.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really agree with the ban but I think the point grecian makes is a good one. If you're coming of age and are a decent sportsman you might think twice about what you hit send on when you see this. Similar happened to a footballer, Andre Gray, a few years back. Difference was I think he was 14 at the time so it definitely seemed harsher but this is what you leave yourself open to.
Andre Gray's tweets were horrifying though. Robinson's are ugly but they aren't anywhere near the same level.

None of the major broadcasters will repeat offensive statements, so every high-profile discussion of an appropriate punishment takes place without any reference to what was actually posted. Maybe it's for the best, but it's actively anti-nuance and probably contributes to the one-size-fits-all institutional responses.

Jack1

International Debutant
People are being very generous to England here. They were set a gettable target on which was a 4th day pitch with barely any demons in. In a 2 match series when it was only 2 sessions to bat England should have tried to get the total. Fair enough if they lost 3 quick wickets then bat for a draw. But at least go for it. The risk reward was there. The chances of collapsing even when going for it all out (and shutting up shop if 3 quick wickets) was probably around 10-15%if that but the chance of winning was probably 25-30% if not more so it was worth it to go for it in my estimations . Simply batting for draw showed a lack of ambition.

As for Robinson considering how long ago the tweets were and the fact he apologised I think it's an overreaction. A fine would have made more sense in my view. England are shooting themselves in the foot too considering he played well in the game.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The chances of collapsing even when going for it all out (and shutting up shop if 3 quick wickets) was probably around 10-15%if that but the chance of winning was probably 25-30% if not more so it was worth it to go for it in my estimations . Simply batting for draw showed a lack of ambition.
10-15%? NZ rattled through England’s batting in a couple of sessions literally yesterday. I wouldn’t have minded seeing England be a bit more proactive, but chasing 270+ in 70 overs on a pitch that was continuously difficult for run scoring and was offering significant variable bounce was always likely to be a bridge too far.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
My point was more that the nature of the process means that it's not clear to me what the punishment actually is right now, which in itself is unfair because being vague is capricious all on its own. I don't have any problem with him being scratched out of a single Test match, I think that's actually a reasonable and proportionate response. If the ECB came out tomorrow and said "yadda yadda yadda we've looked into it, it's unacceptable, Olly will miss the next game but we're confident he's learned his lesson and this sends a strong signal to Not Do This and we're looking forward to moving on and letting Olly grow into a productive international career etc etc" and drew a line under it after the ban that would be entirely fine by me.
I agree with all of this, the whole situation just doesn't seem well handled by the ECB at all with the suspension now and the publicly announced 'disciplinary investigation' (whatever that entails) still to follow. Obviously the investigation isn't gonna say anything other than "After careful thought and discussion we've concluded that those tweets weren't great." And then its either going to look weak because it'll conclude by stating that this is Unacceptable (but there's nothing much to do about it now because he already apologised and we already punished him) or it's gonna be too harsh because it's gonna hand out further punishment on top of the suspension which probably isn't needed.

Anyway, I hope that Robinson is long since reformed in his views and that he plays a lot more Tests for England. Looks like he could be a really excellent player.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
People are being very generous to England here. They were set a gettable target on which was a 4th day pitch with barely any demons in. In a 2 match series when it was only 2 sessions to bat England should have tried to get the total. Fair enough if they lost 3 quick wickets then bat for a draw. But at least go for it. The risk reward was there. The chances of collapsing even when going for it all out (and shutting up shop if 3 quick wickets) was probably around 10-15%if that but the chance of winning was probably 25-30% if not more so it was worth it to go for it in my estimations . Simply batting for draw showed a lack of ambition.

As for Robinson considering how long ago the tweets were and the fact he apologised I think it's an overreaction. A fine would have made more sense in my view. England are shooting themselves in the foot too considering he played well in the game.
Percentages pulled directly from your arse.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant

Had England had services of Stokes & Buttler, they might have gone for the chase.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The third highest run chase at Lords is something like 216. Just saying it was doable so they should have had a go is nonsense, especially with the unproven and fragile batting line up.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Serious question - why has actual proper good community service not been considered as a means of remedy instead of bans? Surely both from an ACTUAL standpoint of eradicating racism, it's far more worthy than a "You're banned!" and also from an optics point of view, it also looks better since the ECB seems to care about that.

If the tweets were recent then a ban would have been appropriate - dude was clearly a dumb teen (he might still be dumb, we don't know, but then let's work towards getting him involved with the people he insulted rather than just banning him, which won't actually do much).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Serious question - why has actual proper good community service not been considered as a means of remedy instead of bans? Surely both from an ACTUAL standpoint of eradicating racism, it's far more worthy than a "You're banned!" and also from an optics point of view, it also looks better since the ECB seems to care about that.

If the tweets were recent then a ban would have been appropriate - dude was clearly a dumb teen (he might still be dumb, we don't know, but then let's work towards getting him involved with the people he insulted rather than just banning him, which won't actually do much).
Agreed. 100% agreed.

Another historic racist tweet emerges.

By "another current England player" who's not Ollie Robinson.

Wisdom.com has chosen not to reveal his (presumably) identity as he was a minor at the time.

Can open, worms everywhere...
Oh **** off (not you). This is ****ing stupid. Honestly, the world we live in has become really ****ing stupid in places.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Geez Ollie Robinson is now a household name dominating talk radio all day here. Probably the most coverage cricket has got in the mainstream since Ben Stokes belted that guy.

Boris chiming in with Dowden to criticise the ECB is a beauty given the PM's own fairly shameful history of racist and ***ist statements. There is no getting away from the link between sport and politics I guess. Meanwhile Brexit, culture wars, fear, xenophobia and English exceptionalism abound.

And now we have the national football team being booed for taking a knee seeking racial equality. England 2021.

Re Robinson probably the right move for the ECB to stand him down this week to do some due diligence and consider what to do. Best to make sure there's not more stuff out there. A harsh lesson but hopefully he can teach others and yes, get engaged with some community service stuff and be back available for the following match cause he did play sensationally.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Geez Ollie Robinson is now a household name dominating talk radio all day here. Probably the most coverage cricket has got in the mainstream since Ben Stokes belted that guy.

Boris chiming in with Dowden to criticise the ECB is a beauty given the PM's own fairly shameful history of racist and ***ist statements. There is no getting away from the link between sport and politics I guess. Meanwhile Brexit, culture wars, fear, xenophobia and English exceptionalism abound.

And now we have the national football team being booed for taking a knee seeking racial equality. England 2021.

Re Robinson probably the right move for the ECB to stand him down this week to do some due diligence and consider what to do. Best to make sure there's not more stuff out there. A harsh lesson but hopefully he can teach others and yes, get engaged with some community service stuff and be back available for the following match cause he did play sensationally.
Which Johnson has refused to condemn.

Apparently he "fully respects the right of those who choose to peacefully protest and make their feelings known"

Ugh.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Anyway, so what about that cricket huh.

Boult is now in the mix for test 2. This obviously creates quite a few headaches. If KW wasn’t so reluctant to bowl Santner I’d say he’s a swap for CDG. As much as I love the man, and as handy as his bowling is, I don’t think we need five seam bowling options….then again, the way Kane bowls Santner, he’s more effective than someone who barely gets any overs. And yet, Santner could be considered unlucky because he should’ve had a stumping and by all accounts he was creating problems.

our batting looked shaky but then againI think it always does first test up on an overseas tour, so I’m inclined to keep the faith in Ross and bj. However, the thought of Santner at 7 does make me cringe a bit. Or, we could dayboo Rachin. It’s a risk so close to the WTC when we’ll want an experienced, settled side, but who knows - this could also be where legends begin.

what we’ll probably see
1. Latham
2. Conway
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Nicholls
6. Watling
7. De Grandhomme
8. Jamieson
9. Wagner
10. Southee
11. Boult