• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always enjoyed how late Wells plays the ball. I think he'd be a better county cricketer than he is a Plunket Shield player but Test cricket is probably slightly above his station, even in conditions that would suit.
What do you do then for a No. 6/7? Brownlie?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What do you do then for a No. 6/7? Brownlie?
The fact that someone is unlikely to be a good Test cricketer doesn't always necessarily mean they shouldn't be playing; sometimes teams are just stretched for depth and have to select such players.

But yes, I'd definitely pick Brownlie ahead of Wells if it came to it. That said, I'd also open with Brownlie ahead of Rutherford or Guptill. I think I'd rather have Brownlie opening and Wells at six than Guptill or Rutherford making the side. [insert obligatory Papps barrow-pushing]

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Wells underachieves with the bat but I don't see his bowling being as effective in tests. Would make a true 5th bowler. He'd play the odd sumblime 70* getting our hopes up then return to inexplicably getting out for 30.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I've never seen Wells not taking wickets on the rare occasions he gets a swinging Kookaburra down where he bowls tbf. I guess I could say that about Elliott's swingers up in Hamilton or Whangarei as well though. Maybe we'll see Elliott at No. 6.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact that someone is unlikely to be a good Test cricketer doesn't always necessarily mean they shouldn't be playing; sometimes teams are just stretched for depth and have to select such players.

But yes, I'd definitely pick Brownlie ahead of Wells if it came to it. That said, I'd also open with Brownlie ahead of Rutherford or Guptill. I think I'd rather have Brownlie opening and Wells at six than Guptill or Rutherford making the side. [insert obligatory Papps barrow-pushing]

Done. Don't say I never do anything for you.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Santner IMO.

McHesson probably like him (given his ODI spot), plus it provides the flexibility to play Southee + Boult + Wagner + Henry/Bracewell without looking like idiots for picking 5 seamers + Kane. And he's not going to threaten Corey J or Neesh in the long run.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Santner can't hack the swing of Grant Elliott sadly, he's really got no business being in a Test top 7. Daryl Mitchell's probably ND's best hope of filling this spot, although he had a poor season of red ball.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I hope not. I love Luggage but he's never really set the world on fire in the long form and his trolling batting style probably isn't suited to it.
Yeah, I also tend to suspect that Jav's technical shortcomings will be pretty ruthlessly exposed on a tour of England. Having said that his 120 kmh medium pacers could be pretty handy.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So we have a whole team full of replacement number 6s

Wells
Brownlie
Munro
Guptill
Bracewell
Franklin
Elliott
Ryder
Santner
Anderson with a broken finger

Might as well throw in:
Tastle
Craig Cachopa

... just to really make sure all bases are covered.

No I do not know who I would pick.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Franklin's playing county cricket as a local (Irish) player this season, so he wouldn't be available even in the unlikely event he was wanted.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitchell's been on the last two A tours. He's a chance, despite being a bit too ND for my tastes.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Averaged 54 in his second season, 37 in his third, 24 in his fourth.

Young Northern Districts rugby lovers paired up with Munro and CdG sluggers on A tours garner so much from their $400 a night experience, obvs. Send them on more A tours.