• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2022

Howsie

International Captain
What’s the point of Latham against the top teams. Like I said before this tour I’d never take him to Australia. Will never score runs here

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Latham vs the 2 teams we measure ourselves against:

Test
Australia: 26.56
South Africa: 9.80

ODI
Australia: 16.22
South Africa: 25.11

Moss

International Vice-Captain
What’s the point of Latham against the top teams. Like I said before this tour I’d never take him to Australia. Will never score runs here
Can understand including him here as these are the sorts of pitches he usually does well on. Still needed in the subcontinent IMO but his spot would be under threat from the likes of Young if he didn’t keep.

Meridio

International Regular
Kane's just lost all ability to rotate strike, especially early in his innings. He used to be pretty much the best in the world at never facing a dot ball; now, he can't pick up a single anywhere. It's partly teams have set good fields to him, blocking off the run down to third man, but he's also got into the habit of dead-batting a lot, and the placement of his drives when bowlers overpitch has dropped off and he picks out mid on/off constantly.

Moss

Kane's just lost all ability to rotate strike, especially early in his innings. He used to be pretty much the best in the world at never facing a dot ball; now, he can't pick up a single anywhere. It's partly teams have set good fields to him, blocking off the run down to third man, but he's also got into the habit of dead-batting a lot, and the placement of his drives when bowlers overpitch has dropped off and he picks out mid on/off constantly.
Seems to be a problem with most of the lineup. in Kane’s case there’s probably a feeling that being the all-important wicket he needs to hang around. But yeah, you can’t plod a long at barely 3 an over after someone like Allen falls. Most of the lineup is very block-bash at the moment.

Howsie

International Captain
Can understand including him here as these are the sorts of pitches he usually does well on. Still needed in the subcontinent IMO but his spot would be under threat from the likes of Young if he didn’t keep.
Averages under 25 against 5 of the major nations. Just a waste of space really. Living off that Ondian series from 4-5 years ago

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking this when Allen was batting - aggressive and an unknown to Australia so there's some uncertainty in the bowler's mind. If the bowler knows that if they bowl a good ball it will be a dot, that has to make so much of a difference to their mindset. At the moment with Williamson, they know exactly that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Young is one player I really want to have a big season in all formats back in domestics. Still think he's a good player and we've wrecked him with the test opening spot. But should still be there abouts for the test middle order imo (if injuries etc) and he is an ODI option too (not T20Is).

Moss

Jeez, looked like there was two there for sure. Sums up the batting efforts on this tour I suppose.

Moss

Glad that Phillips is playing this game too. Another like Allen who should be an automatic selection now imo.
Agreed though like Young i think NZ haven’t handled someone like him well enough. He should have played a clutch of ODIs and the odd test by now rather than being a dead rubber selection, and still looking like someone feeling his way around international cricket.