• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2022

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It serves us right. We've got Allen, the most exciting white ball opener in the world, and don't pick him. Sure he might nick off early but the bloke is a match winner.
It’s the whole setup, like I said during the first game. team selections are super defensive and the way we play now is the same way.
That is exactly what happens when you get so caught up with preserving your wicket. Finally get a loose ball and you get completely out of shape trying to hit it
All of this. Firstly, our batting seems petrified against Australia and gets itself in a hole. Does that a bit against other teams, but worse against Australia.

Secondly, I think Burgey suggested earlier Guptill was important because he could score a quick 40. He doesn't play like that any more. Dunno about other countries but NZ's dashers seem to lean more and more towards anchoring an innings as they advance in years. Might make sense, except with Conway out of form all of our top 4 want to be the anchor. Need someone to make the running, which again is why someone young and aggressive like Allen should be getting every chance.

Meridio

International Regular
We've been horribly defensive in our shot selection but even the few times we have got something slightly loose we've hit the fielder so often. No flow to our batting whatsoever

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Les than 40/5, if this were Australia 2 days ago they'd dig in and take it home still. let's see how we do it

ataraxia

International Coach
I think Neesh has made up his mind to attack here; normally he pushes ungainly at his first ball

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I think Neesh has made up his mind to attack here; normally he pushes ungainly at his first ball
Going by the lofted shot which Mitchell hit off Stoinis, it looks pretty difficult to hit through the line. He's going to have to be quite selective.

Moss

Makes it hard to stick up for Neesh and the loss of contract with dismissals like that.

Moss

Secondly, I think Burgey suggested earlier Guptill was important because he could score a quick 40. He doesn't play like that any more. Dunno about other countries but NZ's dashers seem to lean more and more towards anchoring an innings as they advance in years. Might make sense, except with Conway out of form all of our top 4 want to be the anchor. Need someone to make the running, which again is why someone young and aggressive like Allen should be getting every chance.
Yeah, this is why I'm not bullish on him for the 2023 World Cup - he's never been at his best in the subcontinent anyway, but if he's not providing quickfire starts I'm not sure NZ can afford yet another batsman playing anchor like that.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Williamson used to be the finest in dropping an anchor and then switching gears at the right moment to seal the game three years ago. Seems to just want to anchor now though

pomnotenglish

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
With a win percentage of 30 against the Aussies since 1974, I wonder why the Kiwis are sent to play against Australia every year. How many times can you see the same clueless lambs being slaughtered? On mercy grounds, there should be no Kiwi vs Oz series until Kiwis build up a team actually capable of challenging the Aussies.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah, this is why I'm not bullish on him for the 2023 World Cup - he's never been at his best in the subcontinent anyway, but if he's not providing quickfire starts I'm not sure NZ can afford yet another batsman playing anchor like that.
criminal that someone like Allen is not getting in ahead of these stodgy batsmen.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Makes it hard to stick up for Neesh and the loss of contract with dismissals like that.
To be frank, apart from an important couple of overs with the bat against England in the WC final, he hasn't really played a substantial innings against top sides. Bashing Thisara Perera does not count.

His willingness to hit selflessly when the situation demands it is good, but sometimes like today we need a bigger innings and he doesn't provide that.

Bowling can be deceptively good but overall his batting hasn't delivered enough.

Edit: forgot important 97* in the World Cup v Pakistan. So that's one.