• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

vandem

International 12th Man
From what I can tell he plain missed the glove strap moving.

TBH from early evidence I was thinking "not enough evidence to overturn" but the slow-motion replay clearly showed the wristband move.
Do they have hot-spot? (I only have radio commentary).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I can tell he plain missed the glove strap moving.

TBH from early evidence I was thinking "not enough evidence to overturn" but the slow-motion replay clearly showed the wristband move.

Also dire that you lose a review for that.
It's always been baffling to me how much international 3rd umpires can **** things like that up.

I would like to think that any competent adult human (with a sufficient idea of the rules of cricket of course) would be able to get that right about 100% of the time let alone one with training and actually being paid to do it.

lol waaaahhhh

youll get him in 5 mins who even cares
m8 I couldn't care less about this specific decision in this context. That's not the issue

vandem

International 12th Man
It's been the law for a lot longer than 6-7 years
I stand corrected.

From Cricinfo report of the match (NZ v WI, Dunedin, Dec 2013):
"Umpire Llong adjudged it not out, and the replays suggested the ball could have only flicked the glove-straps. The third umpire [Ian Gould], however, went with the on-field umpire's call after New Zealand asked for a review. Bravo survived, he rubbed his forearm and wrist immediately after getting hit and that may have worked in his favour."

But I don't think Santner is going on to a match saving 200 here ...

SillyCowCorner1

Any item of clothing in contact with the glove is considered part of the glove. Always been like that IIRC. Bairstow was given because of that at Headingley.
Over here we call it a "current", the flow of electricity needs conductors.

*Burgey will hate this because of the Physics analogy

Burgey

Lol who is this O’keefe guy

“NZ not hitting enough boundaries eg like they hit the least in CWC earlier this year”

We got further than Aus and India and would have won the cup if the host didn’t change the tiebreaker for that tournament lol, or if Boult knew where his foot was
This is the epitome of Kiwah posting, right here.

jcas0167

International Debutant
It's always been baffling to me how much international 3rd umpires can **** things like that up.

I would like to think that any competent adult human (with a sufficient idea of the rules of cricket of course) would be able to get that right about 100% of the time let alone one with training and actually being paid to do it.
I wonder if sometimes they just bottle it. Must be a lot of pressure knowing everyone is also watching the replays and waiting for you to make a call.

vandem

International 12th Man
I wonder if sometimes they just bottle it. Must be a lot of pressure knowing everyone is also watching the replays and waiting for you to make a call.
IIRC after the Lyon not-out mistake, the inventor of some of the technology (hot spot?) was interviewed and suggested that the 3rd umpire may need a skilled video technician to help them interpret the replays + hot spot etc, so that there was a good starting point for decision making.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
IIRC after the Lyon not-out mistake, the inventor of some of the technology (hot spot?) was interviewed and suggested that the 3rd umpire may need a skilled video technician to help them interpret the replays + hot spot etc, so that there was a good starting point for decision making.
That sounds sensible. Often these umpires are older guys and it's a different set of skills from making decisions in the field.

Jezroy

State Captain
Hopefully Santner gets a hundred here so he can bowl many more wicket less overs in test cricket.

Can’t wait.

Chrish

International Debutant
"NZ will have Paine in the Head for the next three days, it is a Starc reality. Unless they play like a Lyon they dont have a chance. Cant just Wade in these rough waters. I know truth Burns but I will be the first to Pat them on their back if they address their shortCummins."