• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia 2015

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I have no doubt that the pitch was "crap" (you cant score 500 - 1 if that's not the case) but the Kiwi excuses ring hollow

If it was dangerous for batting then the score wouldn't be 500 - 1

If the footholes are an issue then change your release point as bowlers have been doing for more than 100 years
Don't think it's got much to do with making excuses. With NZ not having bowled their frontline bowlers for most ofthe CA XI innings, it would no doubt have been the same when the kiwis batted. And frankly there's nothing to gain by facing the non-frontliners on a surface that is both deemed unfit for play and far off what we'll see at the Gabba next week.

Might be churlish to point fingers at CA, but (from an objective standpoint) it isn't something they should gloss over either.

nevermind

U19 Debutant
RE: Best Tour Match Ever

Huge psychological advantage for Australia going into the first Test. This tour match really did backfire on our pavlova-crowdedhouse-russellcrowe-keithurban inventing brothers. At first I had NZ as overall winners in this Blacktown Oval spectacular, but apparently this actually counted as a First Class match (LOL). Aaron Finch really did score 288* and his average is now above 30.

How will NZ ever recover?

BeeGee

International Captain
I find it amusing that so much fuss is being made over a warm up game. It's sole purpose is to provide training for the NZ team. The results of these games are meaningless.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I find it amusing that so much fuss is being made over a warm up game. It's sole purpose is to provide training for the NZ team. The results of these games are meaningless.
It was a 1st class fixture, the touring side taking on the Cricket Australia XI. As such it should have carried some meaning. The stats go towards each players 1st class record. The fact that it was a farce and the match was abandoned should be deeply embarrassing to CA.
Secondly, if the sole purpose was to provide training for the NZ team then the match failed spectacularly in what it was supposed to do.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I have no doubt that the pitch was "crap" (you cant score 500 - 1 if that's not the case) but the Kiwi excuses ring hollow

If it was dangerous for batting then the score wouldn't be 500 - 1

If the footholes are an issue then change your release point as bowlers have been doing for more than 100 years
This is the danger of reading a scorecard and making assumptions. Look who bowled the 80th and 81st overs - Brendon McCullum and Martin Guptill. Hardly the actions of an international side preparing for a Test next week, is it? Dangerous is probably a word they had to use to call it off. Dangerous waste of time, probably.

Anyway, despite all the arm-waving and accusations of being sooks, the NZ squad will just move on and do what's best for them to win a series. And playing on something the local livestock **** out and had some grass sewn into isn't that. And maybe CA can revisit scheduling warm-ups on sub-standard grounds...or we'll repay them in kind, and play an NZ XI at Victoria Park, and they can change with the local homeless people in the communal restrooms and have Asian tourists walk through the middle. Hey, it used to be a FC ground so why not eh.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think it's got much to do with making excuses. With NZ not having bowled their frontline bowlers for most ofthe CA XI innings, it would no doubt have been the same when the kiwis batted. And frankly there's nothing to gain by facing the non-frontliners on a surface that is both deemed unfit for play and far off what we'll see at the Gabba next week.

Might be churlish to point fingers at CA, but (from an objective standpoint) it isn't something they should gloss over either.
They didn't bowl their frontline bowlers primarily because one of them was sore/injured and they didn't want to wear out/destroy the confidence of the other 2 or 3. Of course the pitch is a convenient excuse.
A warm up game NZ didn't even really want. They were provided with a perfect excuse to get to Brisbane and prepare earlier which is all they wanted anyway.
It was a 1st class fixture, the touring side taking on the Cricket Australia XI. As such it should have carried some meaning. The stats go towards each players 1st class record. The fact that it was a farce and the match was abandoned should be deeply embarrassing to CA.
Secondly, if the sole purpose was to provide training for the NZ team then the match failed spectacularly in what it was supposed to do.
*facepalm*
This is the danger of reading a scorecard and making assumptions. Look who bowled the 80th and 81st overs - Brendon McCullum and Martin Guptill. Hardly the actions of an international side preparing for a Test next week, is it? Dangerous is probably a word they had to use to call it off. Dangerous waste of time, probably.

Anyway, despite all the arm-waving and accusations of being sooks, the NZ squad will just move on and do what's best for them to win a series. And playing on something the local livestock **** out and had some grass sewn into isn't that. And maybe CA can revisit scheduling warm-ups on sub-standard grounds...or we'll repay them in kind, and play an NZ XI at Victoria Park, and they can change with the local homeless people in the communal restrooms and have Asian tourists walk through the middle. Hey, it used to be a FC ground so why not eh.
It wasn't the perfect pitch, but it was hardly unplayable. There's been plenty of Test matches played on much worse. And you want to repay Cricket Australia in kind? I said this earlier but on the last few Aus tours to NZ there has not been a single tour match of any kind at all.

There's nothing overly wrong with the NZ team leaving a pointless and useless tour match early (I'm sure most people realise that it was largely pointless because NZ bowled the whole time) but some of the fans reactions are just embarassing and need to stop. The NZ team got exactly what they wanted, and if they preferred match practice on a slow deteriorating wicket (why would they?) they would have just played out the tour game.

adub

International Captain
RE: Best Tour Match Ever

Huge psychological advantage for Australia going into the first Test. This tour match really did backfire on our pavlova-crowdedhouse-russellcrowe-keithurban inventing brothers. At first I had NZ as overall winners in this Blacktown Oval spectacular, but apparently this actually counted as a First Class match (LOL). Aaron Finch really did score 288* and his average is now above 30.

How will NZ ever recover?
NZ- The team that got Arun Funch to a 30+ FC average.

One for the history books

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
They didn't bowl their frontline bowlers primarily because one of them was sore/injured and they didn't want to wear out/destroy the confidence of the other 2 or 3. Of course the pitch is a convenient excuse.

A warm up game NZ didn't even really want. They were provided with a perfect excuse to get to Brisbane and prepare earlier which is all they wanted anyway.

*facepalm*

It wasn't the perfect pitch, but it was hardly unplayable. There's been plenty of Test matches played on much worse. And you want to repay Cricket Australia in kind? I said this earlier but on the last few Aus tours to NZ there has not been a single tour match of any kind at all.

There's nothing overly wrong with the NZ team leaving a pointless and useless tour match early (I'm sure most people realise that it was largely pointless because NZ bowled the whole time) but some of the fans reactions are just embarassing and need to stop. The NZ team got exactly what they wanted, and if they preferred match practice on a slow deteriorating wicket (why would they?) they would have just played out the tour game.
Just a guess, you weren't at the game - right? Starters, Southee had crook guts not sore/injured. Seconds, Henry/Bracewell/Neesham all bowled after the 80th over in a decent stint. You're right about not wanting to wear them out. Why bother on a pitch that in no way resembles what is to follow? Had bugger all to do with confidence.

They didn't want this warm-up when they realised the pitch/facilities were going to be sub-standard. If it'd been scheduled on a better-resourced ground, NZ would have had no issues playing four days.

It wasn't unplayable, as I said the word 'dangerous' was probably used for official purposes in the main. How there's any relevance in the fact that plenty of Test matches have been played on worse , you'll have to explain to me. The repay in kind was pretty clearly a joke. I'm not in favour of an eye for an eye. And you don't think if an organisation like CA, one that can pretty well pick and choose if/when it plays NZ and is clearly the stronger power in every sense, could dictate whether or not they play tour matches over here?

It's pointless because there was no point to the game, unless you regard fielding as such. If Jordan Speith rocks up to a course in preparation for a major and the greens are crap and there's no sand in the bunkers, he goes home to the range. Same happened here. And you're actually saying NZ got what they wanted? That's what they stayed in Sydney for, to bowl Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill and to get a FC wicket into Tom Latham to help his confidence?

Not sure where your head's at, really.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And if CA appointed this game at Rooty Hill then they absolutely should wear blame. It's all well and good to create feel-good stories by playing at grounds that don't get exposure to international cricket(ers), but it's a professional environment and from the posts in here it seems like this pitch has been ****house for years. We send touring XIs to Queenstown, CA sends us to Blacktown. Mmm.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And if CA appointed this game at Rooty Hill then they absolutely should wear blame. It's all well and good to create feel-good stories by playing at grounds that don't get exposure to international cricket(ers), but it's a professional environment and from the posts in here it seems like this pitch has been ****house for years. We send touring XIs to Queenstown, CA sends us to Blacktown. Mmm.
Anybody with even the most rudimentary knowledge of Australian pitches would know that Manuka is always a road and Blacktown is always a slow dungheap

I assume that the Kiwi administrators would have known this when negotiating the tour schedule so they only have themselves to blame

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just a guess, you weren't at the game - right? Starters, Southee had crook guts not sore/injured. Seconds, Henry/Bracewell/Neesham all bowled after the 80th over in a decent stint. You're right about not wanting to wear them out. Why bother on a pitch that in no way resembles what is to follow? Had bugger all to do with confidence.

They didn't want this warm-up when they realised the pitch/facilities were going to be sub-standard. If it'd been scheduled on a better-resourced ground, NZ would have had no issues playing four days.

It wasn't unplayable, as I said the word 'dangerous' was probably used for official purposes in the main. How there's any relevance in the fact that plenty of Test matches have been played on worse , you'll have to explain to me. The repay in kind was pretty clearly a joke. I'm not in favour of an eye for an eye. And you don't think if an organisation like CA, one that can pretty well pick and choose if/when it plays NZ and is clearly the stronger power in every sense, could dictate whether or not they play tour matches over here?

It's pointless because there was no point to the game, unless you regard fielding as such. If Jordan Speith rocks up to a course in preparation for a major and the greens are crap and there's no sand in the bunkers, he goes home to the range. Same happened here. And you're actually saying NZ got what they wanted? That's what they stayed in Sydney for, to bowl Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill and to get a FC wicket into Tom Latham to help his confidence?

Not sure where your head's at, really.
The bolded is the only thing you said that wasn't completely in line with what I said

Not sure where you're coming from at all tbh

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anybody with even the most rudimentary knowledge of Australian pitches would know that Manuka is always a road and Blacktown is always a slow dungheap

I assume that the Kiwi administrators would have known this when negotiating the tour schedule so they only have themselves to blame
I doubt they knew (we last toured to Australia in 2011 with no survivors in administration or coaching apart from our sprint trainer) but they should have done their homework yeah. It's all guesswork as to how these negotiations go, but I guess we can say both are to blame. CA more than anyone know their own resource, and would have allocated the game there so they wear the brunt of it. NZC then, at the negotiation point, probably need to know what they were in for and suggest they weren't going to Rooty Hill to play on cow pats. Manuka, well roads happen - it'll be a road in Adelaide, most likely.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Man this Adelaide Test is going to be something. It actually is a little scary that players are complaining about the balls visibility and we are playing the first ever day/night test on the anniversary of the late Phil Hughes's passing. Will be a sad but spectacular day.

Last edited: