• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2009/10

Howsie

International Captain
Gee Neil Broom looks good. He's making most of these bowlers look less then club quality tbh, and he just hammered Chris Martin over cover for six.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
great return from southee, after going for 28 off his first 2, he went for 12 off his final 2 and picked up 3 wickets.

Also, nice to see Kitchen and Vincent back in the runs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The Canterbury v Otago T20 match on Sky at the moment is the first domestic game I've seen this season after missing the first two T20s, so thought I'd mention that its great to see provincial cricket being telecast. Impressive hitting from Broom, although somewhat fortunate that he wasn't caught by Michael Papps from a skier before he really began striking the ball cleanly. Also terrific bowling from Burson at the death which makes me think that Otago's total of 160 will be competitive but 10-15 runs short.

Howsie

International Captain
I've got such high hopes for Nick Beard, fully expecting him to be New Zealand's test spinner when Vettori retires or maybe even our second spinner in one or two years. Have to enjoy watching a spinner who looks to turn the ball and gives it plenty of flight.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just got back from the Basin. A great game in front of a big crowd (5 or 6000 probably) in fantastic weather. Jimmy was magnificent against the spinners, smashing 5 or 6 huge ones to the RA Vance stand end, a couple of which went out onto Kent terrace. From the look of it, he copped a shocker from the umpire. When he was given out he literally dropped his bat in shock, then glared at the umpire for about 10 seconds before storming off. Might get a fine for that. His bowling looked mediocre to be honest, and Andy McKay from the other end looked sharper and more threatening, but we'll see how he progresses over the next few weeks.

Gutted that wellington didn't win it, with 17 needed off the last 3 overs we really should've done it, and even when we needed 8 off the last I was backing us to win. Jeets smashed the last ball of the 19th for 4, but it was only about a meter short of being a six, and in the end that proved to be the difference.

All around, a great day out.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
I've got such high hopes for Nick Beard, fully expecting him to be New Zealand's test spinner when Vettori retires or maybe even our second spinner in one or two years. Have to enjoy watching a spinner who looks to turn the ball and gives it plenty of flight.
Having played against Nick a couple of times in the past, I certainly share your hope for him. In my opinion he is a class above other domestic spinners.

The only worries I do have is:
a.) Is ability to bowl effectively to left handers for long periods
b.) His temperament when batsmen go after him - he tends to bowl a lot flatter and seems scared to give it flight

Flem274*

123/5
at least you didnt say

c) his back is starting to fail :p

Just watching the replay. Lol at Marshall, getting out to a Broom long hop.

Anton Devcich is actualy quite nice to watch from the little Ive seen in the past couple of days. Doesnt seem to score many runs overall across the three formats but hey, he looks the part. :p Good fielder too.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watching the replay. Lol at Marshall, getting out to a Broom long hop.
George Worker bowled an awful over yesterday at Pukekura Park. 4 long hops got milked for 9 runs, the 5th ball, also a long hop got McGlashan caught at deep mid wicket and the final ball was a half volley to James Marshall caught at deep square. Despite being on a hat trick, he'd bowled so badly that he wasn't called on again by his captain.

bryce

International Regular
Anton Devcich is actualy quite nice to watch from the little Ive seen in the past couple of days. Doesnt seem to score many runs overall across the three formats but hey, he looks the part. :p Good fielder too.
He's a huge scorer in local club & provincial cricket, expect to see alot more from him in the future. Also a decent left-arm spinner

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Really think Vettori got all of his bowling changes/orders 100% right today, great signs for the rest of the competition from an ND perspective. Looks a great cricket wicket there in Christchurch too.
Man the spots are contentious at ND though Flynn, Aldridge & Boult all left out plus Dilshan is due to arrive soon there'll be alot of anxious selections moments to come

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha **** me that was a cracker of a match! Southee set it up and Scott finished it brilliantly. Reinforces for me why T20 is better than OD.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Haha **** me that was a cracker of a match! Southee set it up and Scott finished it brilliantly. Reinforces for me why T20 is better than OD.
Just finished watching the match as well. Was cheering on ND the whole way. But lost faith when the score was around 70.

James Marshall looked awful on his dismissal. And I was glad when Anton Devcich got run out - he was taking risky singles left right and centre.

Couldn't ask for a more exciting finish. I think even the commentators gave up when the score was 70 but it is their job to try to keep you interested in the game.

Howsie

International Captain
Because you don't have your teams best batsmen (arguably) batting at eight because he can't hit sixes from ball one.

I found it to be a pretty boring game tbh, up until Southee came in the batting was rather average. He did look pretty good today though did Southee, he actually played some proper shots. Got to get him up the order I think.

bryce

International Regular
**** yeah that was an absolute god of a cricket match, at 75/8 i was feeling pretty ****ed off with canterbury mainly because of Harris' bias commentary but Scott got me jumping all round the house man i wana jump all over him tbh... hahaha canterbury

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
These 20/20 games have been my first opportunity to watch Kane bowl. He didn't bowl today but bowled the other day. I don't like his action at all. I think Nicol has a far better bowling action for an off spinner.
I was hoping that Kane could be an all rounder for us - but after watching his action I have given up on those aspirations.

Howsie

International Captain
He can give the ball a rip but I'd much rather he just forget about his bowling tbh. Bradburn was going on about him becoming the Knights all-rounder and that he'd been working really hard on his bowling, I was never a fan of that tbh. With someone that has that much talent with the bat there is no point in trying to turn him into a off-spinner all-rounder.

bryce

International Regular
Yeah definately not a wicket taking action.
Marshall is a crap T20 middle order player but since he is captain I don't think we will see Parlane again and probably not Devcich either with Dilshan due to play the next game(unless Flynn is left out again)
Really wana see Aldridge out there too but there just isn't a place for him, let alone one for Boult

Last edited: