• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Yes, I can picture a bowler like Sussex sort of averaging 25 or more on the club charts, but then getting the benefit of a pitch that's been better prepared for bounce bowling. His 3/36 on debut was a fairly erratic spell with flattering figures though, I can now report back. That's from taking a look at his first six overs ball-by-ball.

I notice Mo Abbas came out straight after his 5/26 and made 113 at No. 4 against a Takapuna attack with Sussex in it.
Abbas was on 60 odd when I last checked the scorecard so glad he went on to his 100. Does he have the potential to be a true all rounder or a batsman who bowls? He is still in 17/18ish right?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Turns 19 in November. I think in T20 his batting and bowling might be about equal in the value they'd add. Plunket Shield I see him as clearly a Ross ter Braak replacement to start out with, any very rapid batting cameos down in the engine room just being a bonus. I know there were newspaper columns drawn in by his sheer weight of schoolboy runs, but there were also plenty of articles drawn in by Tim Pringle's schoolboy runs, so it's hard for me to say without watching more.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Just providing a visual of the player Immenso and I were talking about yesterday.

Back in McCullum's 'rocks or diamonds' mid-2010s there would've been a bit more appetite for keeping him above club level, and Ollie Pringle or whoever Auckland's latest little dalliance with low-ceiling obscurity is down at club level.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Matt McEwan turning out for Johnsonville, just to whack quick runs at No. 5 rather than bowl. He's taken a player/coach role with them.

Mo Abbas with a 5/26 haul in Auckland. A youngster and only medium in pace, but I'd like to see what his skilled left-arm swing can manage at first-class level shortly. Ross ter Braak close to running out of time to keep Abbas at bay, I'd think.
Yeah NZ would love a promising left-arm bowler after the Boult/Wagner era. Doesn't look like any of those in domestix currently will play for NZ unless you apply a huge dollop of imagination to perhaps R Toole.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just providing a visual of the player Immenso and I were talking about yesterday.

Back in McCullum's 'rocks or diamonds' mid-2010s there would've been a bit more appetite for keeping him above club level, and Ollie Pringle or whoever Auckland's latest little dalliance with low-ceiling obscurity is down at club level.

Oddly, he bowls a bit like Sean Solia, but taller.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mmm don't think Solia got anywhere near that c&b.

Good to see both Shipley and Nuttall are back for Canterbury A.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Decent looking Canterbury A team. Some very handy players in there.

I see Brett Johnson (Troy's brother) has made the move to CD and is in the CD A squad today. Still can't see there being much room in any NZ domestic team for a leggie.

ataraxia

International Coach
Jack Boyle playing for CD A as well; guess Canterbury prefer his brother now, probably rightly.

Meanwhile Auckland are falling over on an EPOO pitch which looks pretty placid. Will O'Donnell 33* out of 50-5 so far.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, he dines out on reasonable international attacks too, and certainly in the past has shown an ability to get to 20-30 against good attacks. I don't think it says much about domestic bowlers, more he feels very comfortable mentally scoring domestic runs.

I've always thought his issues were mental, nothing to do with how his technique holds up against good attacks. Doesn't really have a dominant mode of dismissal that exposes his technique, consistently gets out in different ways across a number of series'.
He struggles against genuine 145+ pace bowlers, and on fast pitches. Needs to figure out his scoring options against quicks.

He's also not physically fit enough.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
That's a pretty yuck dismissal for Ben Smith...looks like he's taking guard about two stumps outside leg, then steps across in front of middle and leaves one that takes out off.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Seems so.

Is Keene going for a bit of a Danny Morrison look?

Interesting Will O'Donnell has had a little success opening for Auckland (though less so this season) - he doesn't look like an opener afaics, though scores quickly.

The rest of Auckland - woeful. Though I might add Horne as a touch unlucky with the umpire's decision, along with Solia.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Seems so.

Is Keene going for a bit of a Danny Morrison look?

Interesting Will O'Donnell has had a little success opening for Auckland (though less so this season) - he doesn't look like an opener afaics, though scores quickly.

The rest of Auckland - woeful. Though I might add Horne as a touch unlucky with the umpire's decision, along with Solia.
Also hard to believe that Solia/Wodonnell is the best opening batting combo they can come up with. Always thought Wodonnell was a 3-5 while Solia should be your stock standard #6 and maybe second change bowler....

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
They must be really short of openers... and a number 3 as well. Briggs hasn't scored any runs. I guess Chapman might bat 3 for them when available (not G Phillips as he's now Otago).

Solia opening again has to be a symptom of the shortage - he did it in 20/21 with zero success (I just looked up, he averaged 11) and then last season he was back in the engine room and averaged 38. So to go back to him opening indicates there is noone else.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Auckland have a new coach, South African Doug Watson, who's previously worked for both Auckland and Wellington in coaching roles but also head coach for Namibia a while back.

Definitely seems to be some changes in selection. Guptill and Worker were opening last season. But then Phillips has moved to Otago (would be unavailable anyway) and Chapman's away. Not sure why Worker's now down at #5 and Solia's opening. Solia was batting #7 primarily last season with Will O'Donnell at 3. On the bowling side, Lister was in the side last year - and both ter Braak and Ferns don't have the greatest records in comparison. Not sure what's happened to Lister. Injured?