• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2021/22***

jcas0167

International Debutant

Howsie

International Captain
ND vs Wellington is going to be quite a low-quality game isn't it. Will be interesting at least.

View attachment 31360
tbf Fisher, Clarke, Swanson and Lellman would all be domestic regulars playing elsewhere. I have never quite understood why Swanson has stuck around when two different provinces have offered him opportunities over the last 2-3 years.

Flem274*

123/5
Fisher and (from the tidbits I've heard) Swanson should be regulars at ND tbh. Fisher especially. Kuggeleijn and Randell are proven performers and I understand their loyalty to Zak Gibson after his horror run of injuries but Fisher is future Black Caps material.

Actually it's kinda surprising Swanson and Lellman haven't had chances before now given who's ahead of them, or maybe not given how conservative domestic selectors are.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
McGregor-Sumpter's stance reminds of some sort of weird mash-up of Gower, Wessells and Latham.

Loosely holds and waves the bat like Gower, a bit closed-faced and hunched like the most unaesthetically pleasing leftie in history - Wessells. Latham - I'm not sure. Something about the shoulders and the slightly bent arms.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steady run building by ND. A lot of overs already bowled by the spinners. Is this wicket the spinner's home that I was asking for a few pages back? I only saw the last few overs of the session, but Younghusband and McComb looked pretty accurate so far.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha of course Keene can bat too.

Tickner pitching it up at sharp pace is great to see. He'll be a very good bowler if he ever gets his lengths consistent. Field gets so much bounce.

I know Auckland are covid hit but I think 5 specialst bowlers was a bold move tstl.

Meanwhile lol we're 11/3 and the great destroyer has only bowled an over. We're in danger.
McGregor-Sumpter's stance reminds of some sort of weird mash-up of Gower, Wessells and Latham.

Loosely holds and waves the bat like Gower, a bit closed-faced and hunched like the most unaesthetically pleasing leftie in history - Wessells. Latham - I'm not sure. Something about the shoulders and the slightly bent arms.
I see it too

thierry henry

International Coach
Whenever I see old Kepler Wessels highlights I can never understand how he ever hit a straight ball. I can sort of understand the logic of crabby techniques with open stances (whipping straight balls through the leg side is theoretically an easy shot and worth the risk of missing the odd one) but the crabby technique with a closed stance made no sense at all….basically set up to play the highest risk shots in the game (through the covers) while making it impossible to access anything at the stumps

HeathDavisSpeed

Watched the last hour or so of the ND/Wlgn game. Great discipline for ND's 10 & 11 to keep Wellington out there. Only seen one attempt at the big shot, otherwise they've both played the ball on its merits. Hasn't led to many scoring opportunities though. Still, 26 runs out of ~150 isn't a bad effort from 10/11.

Edit: Decent number of overs in the day despite the rain break. Guess it helps when 40 day one overs are from your spinners.

ataraxia

International Coach
Tom Bruce carving a Munro-esque record for himself, sans the utterly stupid strike rate. Bruce gets a century, averages almost 46 in FC now.

Howsie

International Captain
Something Wiggins didn't realize until it was too late.

Vishvaka is continuing his good start to FC cricket.
I don’t know if he’s just hanging on the back foot or he’s picking it up insanely quickly but he looks to love the short ball. ND might want to change their plans quickly

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
His heart rate jumps a bit and he's tempted into bold and risky shots by the quick short stuff, if anything. Had some forewarning a lot of it could be coming at him at this level.

HeathDavisSpeed

I don’t know if he’s just hanging on the back foot or he’s picking it up insanely quickly but he looks to love the short ball. ND might want to change their plans quickly
Fisher seemed to be attempting leg theory to Vishvaka. Round the wicket, short balls in at the ribs or higher, short leg fielder etc. Vishvaka took on the hook once without making a hash of it.

Then unfortunately went down the wicket to Sodhi and stumped. Bit of a strange ending - he'd looked pretty happy facing Sodhi, generally.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Vishvaka out coming down the wicket to Sodhi in a fairly tame fashion, but good innings. Rachin meanwhile once again showing his fragility to bowlers who can consistently land the ball in a box around off-stump. Kinda looks to have gone backwards from the player he was a couple seasons ago, which is a bit alarming for a 22 year old.