• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

A well-established New Zealander with the surname of Hendrie sounds pretty solid.

Let's see....no, wrong -

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wellington Firebirds Make Two Changes for Top-of-Table Clash | Scoop News

With Hamish Bennett a late call-up to New Zealand A, the Firebirds have called in Taita fast bowler, Travis Muller. A former-South Africa U19 representative, Muller has 42 First-Class matches to his name with a bowling average of less than 24.

After spending the Firebirds’ opening three home games in charge of the Basin Reserve scoreboard, Eastern Suburbs’ wicketkeeper/batsman, Lauchie Johns, finds himself on the other side of the boundary, in line for a First-Class debut.

Johns has come up through the development system within Wellington, playing in two national tournaments with each of the CricHQ Wellington U19 and CricHQ Wellington A sides.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Best to be mindful that Johns isn't making his FC debut in great club batting form. Current run total is down with the bowlers and Stewart Rhodes, in a tourney Deepak Joon has already scored 400 runs in.

Even if Conway's glovework was good in Taupo, note Muller and Conway couldn't have both played in the same XI.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Wheeler is back for CD.

Surprised Watling is opening for ND, when I thought he was going to demonstrate his fitness for NZ by keeping.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

A pity it's now past midnight where SeamUp is. I know Muller has been opening the batting for Taita and doing okay, but the SR suggests he can't light up an engine room with fast scoring.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Kippax, are there now more South Africans than previously in Wellington (and NZ) domestic cricket, or is it just that you happen to be focussing on them at the moment? If it's more than usual, what's the reason for that - things worse in SA?

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Good to see Wheeler is back for CD.

Surprised Watling is opening for ND, when I thought he was going to demonstrate his fitness for NZ by keeping.
I guess that means he is out for the first test than.
Or latham is going to keep and BJ will open.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd strongly consider picking him anyway, as a batsman. His form with the bat hasn't been great for a while now, and Nicholls did hit that ton against South Africa (which I think is actually still NZ's most recent Test series :eek: ) but I still have more faith in him to make runs despite those things. Six Test tons and an average of 38 nails that #5 spot, for mine.

I reckon it's unlikely though. Selectors love Nicholls.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It would be very rough on Nicholls. Alternatively, could leave De Grandhomme out to accommodate Watling. Get Raval and Williamson to bowl some filth to make up some overs if necessary, which it probably won't be.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Kippax, are there now more South Africans than previously in Wellington (and NZ) domestic cricket, or is it just that you happen to be focussing on them at the moment? If it's more than usual, what's the reason for that - things worse in SA?
Yeah the South Africans are definitely higher in quantity now, but the way they really shine out like beacons at the top of the club runs/wickets charts is also magnifying that. There aren't six Saffers to a club XI all of a sudden, although maybe in Auckland you might be getting towards that.

They are sensing a great opportunity down here. It's almost like 'New Zealand' is now a bit of a shell company listed on an attractive stockmarket bourse, and the only ones really keen to breathe new life into the venture tend to be South African or Indian/Sri Lankan.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The increased black/coloured player quota per pro franchise is definitely the reason someone like Conway is here, I'd say. He lost his Lions contract at age 26, so there's just no real way to ascend to international cricket from there.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah I forgot about the increased quotas in SA, that would certainly play a part. There's a very well-worn path to NZ now, having been travelled by many other SA cricketers. Many would already know a few players or coaches in NZ prior to coming over.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'd strongly consider picking him anyway, as a batsman. His form with the bat hasn't been great for a while now, and Nicholls did hit that ton against South Africa (which I think is actually still NZ's most recent Test series :eek: ) but I still have more faith in him to make runs despite those things. Six Test tons and an average of 38 nails that #5 spot, for mine.

I reckon it's unlikely though. Selectors love Nicholls.
1. J Raval
2. T Latham
3. K Williamson
4. R Taylor
5. BJ Watling
6. H Nicholls
7. T Blundell+
8. C de Grandhomme
9. M Santner
10. N Wagner
11. T Boult

Stack the batting. de Grandhomme to continue his new ball exploits. Wagner first change and Williamson to bowl himself more if needed. The way to go imo.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I really wouldn't - two bowlers and two half-bowlers. Put Southee back in for CDG and it's still light on bowling, though maybe passable.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I really wouldn't - two bowlers and two half-bowlers. Put Southee back in for CDG and it's still light on bowling, though maybe passable.
Nah, it's the WIndies. pummel them with some batting practice this game and next match play 4 seamers (Boult, Southee, Wagner, Henry) + Santner and give them some bowling practice.

SeamUp

International Coach

A pity it's now past midnight where SeamUp is. I know Muller has been opening the batting for Taita and doing okay, but the SR suggests he can't light up an engine room with fast scoring

It's funny you bringing all these names up. Remember them from youth weeks.

Travis Muller is a swing bowler. I know that article mentioned opening batsman though. Did very well for the Cobras on the ocassions he played and kicked into touch.

He got a bad injury but played SA u19 and SA academy.

Last edited: