• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Blain

U19 Captain
He reminds me of that left armer who use to bowl off his wrong foot for Pakistan? Looks to have a bit of pace too. Sohail Tanvir. When Nuttell and Jamieson are back, they have a good young attack the Cantabs.

Would love to watch that CD batting line up..

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Former BC Rutherford with a 140odd, Bennett taking loads of wickets. Could find themselves in squads at some point.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford in marmalising bowlers on Uni Oval pudding pitch shocker.

Bennett is interesting though. 10/48 is a hell of a performance, even if it is a very bowler friendly pitch. It seems fairly evident from the number of dismissals to shorter pitched deliveries that the Basin Reserve pitch has a bit more pace in it this season to go with the generous grass covering, which is good to see.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Solid couple days work from Blundell. Crucial runs in the first dig and a couple of really good catches behind the stumps. Meanwhile Henry's leaking runs, probably suggesting that he hasn't learnt a thing about the right length to bowl in test cricket.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
de Boorder sure made Worker look like a real champ today, top wicketkeeping.
Heh, both Latham and Worker struck the angry pose after given out today, standing ground, staring back at the umpire, and Latham even went for the full teapot. Worker's outrage nicely punctured by De Boorder though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Solid couple days work from Blundell. Crucial runs in the first dig and a couple of really good catches behind the stumps. Meanwhile Henry's leaking runs, probably suggesting that he hasn't learnt a thing about the right length to bowl in test cricket.
Latham
Myth
Williamson
Taylor
Watling
Token allrounder
Blundell (+)
Santa
Wagner
Boult
Bennett

#wellington

Blain

U19 Captain
With 22 wickets at the Basin over 3 games this year, surely Bennett is a no brainer for the final spot in the first test match. He'd have to beat out Southee to get a place in the starting side though, which I can't see happening under Hess.

Liking the bowling depth right now, Henry really needs to find domestic form to get back in front of Fergo, Bennett and Kugs. He simply isn't playing enough due to being 12th man for the BC's.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
With 22 wickets at the Basin over 3 games this year, surely Bennett is a no brainer for the final spot in the first test match. He'd have to beat out Southee to get a place in the starting side though, which I can't see happening under Hess.

Liking the bowling depth right now, Henry really needs to find domestic form to get back in front of Fergo, Bennett and Kugs. He simply isn't playing enough due to being 12th man for the BC's.
Bennett can’t even make NZ A, the upcoming game or the India tour, so he seems to be completely off the selector’s radar. Going by those teams, Rance is rated ahead of him.

Seems very strange to me, I thought Bennett performed well in the Ireland tri series and has obviously been on fire domestically this season, and a fair bit of last.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bennett's broken half the time though, and they may be concerned he'd break again half-way through a test match. That said, his action looks a lot simpler and less jerky than it used to be. I think he's reasonable competition with Henry and Ferguson for a reserve test spot and should be considered for ODIs too.

And agree with Blain, Henry needs some time playing FC cricket rather than being NZ 12th man all the time, aka the Jeets problem.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bennett got through a full season last year (albeit, without such spectacular results - he's already taken more wickets this season than in the entirety of the last), so hopefully he's a bit hardier these days.

Yeah he really should've been in the NZA side, given his strong start. Rance I can understand, but Milne was a strange selection given his current lack of pace and experience in first class cricket. If you're picking the A side attack considering a mix of form, consistency, potential and variety, then I think the top 4 pacers for consideration would be Bennett, Kugz, Ferguson and Rance.

Btw, anyone else starting to feel that the intense self-loathing that comes with wondering how Ryder might go if he were given another shot?

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Bennett’s best domestic form last year was definitely in the limited overs comps ... which is why I found it so weird he didn’t go to India (with NZ A).

Ryder is looking great, dammit.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Bennett got through a full season last year (albeit, without such spectacular results - he's already taken more wickets this season than in the entirety of the last), so hopefully he's a bit hardier these days.

Yeah he really should've been in the NZA side, given his strong start. Rance I can understand, but Milne was a strange selection given his current lack of pace and experience in first class cricket. If you're picking the A side attack considering a mix of form, consistency, potential and variety, then I think the top 4 pacers for consideration would be Bennett, Kugz, Ferguson and Rance.

Btw, anyone else starting to feel that the intense self-loathing that comes with wondering how Ryder might go if he were given another shot?
Reading recent comments from Larsen, it doesn't sound like much has changed there selection-wise. Still, it's hard to keep the dreams at bay when the guy's nearly brought up four centuries in a row, and it looks like he's on his way to another score here.

Another thing to consider is that even if everything was sorted out, he's 33 and we have **** all test cricket in the next 18 months.

nzfan

Why isn't De Boorder from Otago in the race for a spot for Black Caps? He's been around for ages but no one talks about him. As much as I like Blundell play for Black Caps, I'm not all that confident he has a long career with BC. I think Seifert is a much better batter, not so sure about his keeping skills.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Why isn't De Boorder from Otago in the race for a spot for Black Caps? He's been around for ages but no one talks about him. As much as I like Blundell play for Black Caps, I'm not all that confident he has a long career with BC. I think Seifert is a much better batter, not so sure about his keeping skills.
De Boorder was in the discussion for test wicketkeeper around the time that Reece Young and Kruger Van Wyk were, but then Watling came along and made it his own. Wouldn't imagine him as a limited overs keeper which is what we need currently, and he's the same age as Watling so not sure there's much point him being the next in line test keeper.

Think Seifert is the most likely reserve wicketkeeper, having scored NZ A four-day runs recently in India.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ryder is looking great, dammit.
Reading recent comments from Larsen, it doesn't sound like much has changed there selection-wise. Still, it's hard to keep the dreams at bay when the guy's nearly brought up four centuries in a row, and it looks like he's on his way to another score here.

Another thing to consider is that even if everything was sorted out, he's 33 and we have **** all test cricket in the next 18 months.
Got out to Kitchen's part-timers, cancel the comeback :happy:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Should we be worried that an ND side featuring half the test team and several former international and current NZA players is getting so roundly thrashed by an Auckland side that's minus its best bowler?