• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah Wheeler and Bruce with the NZ squad, shame. 5 days until they have a one off T20 game, seems another dumb decision by NZC to not let them play.

I saw somewhere Baker has been injured the last month or so for ND.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Is it totally crazy to say that if we struck a few injuries or form slumps that HK Bennett could be a rather handy ODI bowler again?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it totally crazy to say that if we struck a few injuries or form slumps that HK Bennett could be a rather handy ODI bowler again?
I think so, not that I don't think he's good enough, but I think they'll end up going for promise if another spot comes up. Probably view him as a little long in the tooth.

That said, they have gone back to Brownlie and Broom recently.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Worker is in incredible form. Not the fastest scoring from CD today - they'll be hoping for 260 from here if Worker/Clarkson and KNB hit out successfully.

Blain

U19 Captain
T20 vs South Africa is Friday btw
Ahh true. I can understand Wheeler being rested, but Bruce would likely be better for the hit out.

Bennett's all good, Kuggs (can't play though) and Rance would be in before him IMO. We haven't had a hooping in swinging bowler like Rance for a while.

What happened to that average guy Mathieson? Had 1 good season of One Day cricket, got a weird call up in Africa, and haven't seen him since?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Cricket: Teen Stag had already come of age - Sport - Hawke's Bay Today News

"The way my batting is going at the moment, you know, coming into the season I knew I wouldn't be bowling so I'd have to make the most of the time in the middle with the bat so, yeah, I'm really happy."

and
Josh Clarkson contracted by CD | Nelson Live

Josh suffered a stress fracture in his back during a warm up game for the Under-19 Cricket World Cup and it forced him to play as a batsman only.

“I was pretty pissed off, I was ready to try to contribute to the team with both bat and ball.

“It affected me mentally, and my batting suffered because I just wasn’t right mentally.”

The ACOB all-rounder has been based in Napier during the offseason to get the best medical care during his recovery and rehabilitation.

He has also had to change his bowling action.

“Changing my action was quite tough because it was the action I’d had for all of my cricket.

“I got an ankle injury just from getting used to landing in a new way.”

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ahh true. I can understand Wheeler being rested, but Bruce would likely be better for the hit out.

Bennett's all good, Kuggs (can't play though) and Rance would be in before him IMO. We haven't had a hooping in swinging bowler like Rance for a while.

What happened to that average guy Mathieson? Had 1 good season of One Day cricket, got a weird call up in Africa, and haven't seen him since?
Don't know why Mathieson isn't playing, though don't think he's really a contender to play for NZ.

Rance I think would end up being a Lance-Hamilton-like callup - someone who's done well domestically, gets swing and is crafty, but will probably have a very tough time taking that to international ODI level.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Clarkson's bowling injury gives you that sinking feeling very quickly - very promising strong young allrounder going to injure himself constantly, like so many others, and as a result may have to make it primarily as a batsman.

I really liked his bowling action and that away shape too.

Blain

U19 Captain
Would be nice if he just concentrates on 125km-130km medium pace with a bit of swing, in the CDG/Ryder 5th/6th bowler mold. It almost seems Neesh and Anderson put to much effort into their bowling than they naturally should, trying to hit 140Kms, and break down and/or get belted.

Henry came back very strong after his back troubles at a very young age, so there is hope.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think so, not that I don't think he's good enough, but I think they'll end up going for promise if another spot comes up. Probably view him as a little long in the tooth.

That said, they have gone back to Brownlie and Broom recently.
Had Bennett, Broom and Brownlie in my signature Supporting XI a few years back. If Bennett got a recall I'd feel pretty stoked.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Would be nice if he just concentrates on 125km-130km medium pace with a bit of swing, in the CDG/Ryder 5th/6th bowler mold. It almost seems Neesh and Anderson put to much effort into their bowling than they naturally should, trying to hit 140Kms, and break down and/or get belted.

Henry came back very strong after his back troubles at a very young age, so there is hope.
I quite agree, though would hope for something a little better than CDG bowling - Ryder at his best perhaps, or Shane Watson. Just someone that bowls 130, swings it consistently and is accurate.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wellington to win it all this season, and once and for all prove we produce the best cricketers from the ground up. Best players, best infrastructure, best youth coaching, best first class ground, best Indian restaurant. We've got it all.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Worker getting runs again, Young looking good. Check out that 3rd 4 of his against Woodcock, damn!! :D

153/2 | WELLINGTON FIREBIRDS vs CENTRAL STAGS

I really hope he keeps his form up, one our better stroke makers going around. Just seems a bit inconsistent (and that century problem..).
Yeah I went to the Basin to see how Young's early commitment of weight onto the front foot would handle someone like Bennett, and unfortunately it didn't really go so well. Just the one clip through midwicket in Young's column, a blow to the right hip and then a wicket in Bennett's column.

Even Verma was getting enough lift to occasionally highlight that really premature bias towards the front foot Young has.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Feeling emboldened after actually finding a news story explaining Clarkson's injury suffered in U19s, albeit dated about 6 months after the fact.

I thought I'd see if there was something out there about Kyle Jamieson. And there is.

Probably I needed to hunt in The Press link rather than general Stuff feed on my phone ....
To be fair - is a decent amount of domestic cricket news (combined from provincial papers) on stuff if you get off your phone.

Canterbury forced to make two changes for Ford Trophy match against Northern Knights | Stuff.co.nz

while fast bowler Kyle Jamieson, who pulled up lame after 2.5 overs in Sunday's first-round win against the Central Stags, is out with a side strain.

Last edited: