• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NBA 2006-2007 season thread

Fusion

Global Moderator
Dallas aren't a great defensive team, despite Avery's continued efforts, and lack an inside presence. Their bench is nothing special.
Dallas may not be an elite defensive team, but they're certainly a good one. Good enough anyway to handle the Suns' offense (or any other's) in a 7 game series. As far as you saying that a bench consisting of Stackhouse, Devean George, Diop, Greg Buckner, Croshere, DJ Mbenga (injured) and now Kevin Willis is "nothing special", then you're not really watching the Mavericks games. Stackhouse is a 6th Man candidate every year. In fact, he's expected to leave after this season and become a starter somewhere. The rest of the bench nicely compliments a great starting lineup. Heck, on some nights either Jason Terry or Devin Harris are coming off the bench! Night in and night out, the Mavs' bench outscores their opponents. I'll take this "nothing special" bench against any other team.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm going to see the Bucks host Celtics tonight at the Bradley center. Unfotunately Bogut isn't playing due to injury, but I'm sure an NBA game will have an amazing atmosphere all the same (even if both sides are at the bottom of the ladder).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
the warriors might give them a fight but if you expect them to beat the mavs, you are in for a severe disappointment....:)
No, I dont expect them to beat MAVs, although I wont be surprised if they did. But a tough first round in playoffs could take a lot of gas from your team. ;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No, I dont expect them to beat MAVs, although I wont be surprised if they did. But a tough first round in playoffs could take a lot of gas from your team. ;)
they are not my team...i just happen to think they have the best chance to win this year...and yeah if the warriors take the mavs to 6 or 7, it could become incrementally tough for them in future rounds but if they play to potential, i don't see that happening...

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Dallas may not be an elite defensive team, but they're certainly a good one. Good enough anyway to handle the Suns' offense (or any other's) in a 7 game series. As far as you saying that a bench consisting of Stackhouse, Devean George, Diop, Greg Buckner, Croshere, DJ Mbenga (injured) and now Kevin Willis is "nothing special", then you're not really watching the Mavericks games. Stackhouse is a 6th Man candidate every year. In fact, he's expected to leave after this season and become a starter somewhere. The rest of the bench nicely compliments a great starting lineup. Heck, on some nights either Jason Terry or Devin Harris are coming off the bench! Night in and night out, the Mavs' bench outscores their opponents. I'll take this "nothing special" bench against any other team.
Dallas might be able to stop the Suns' perimeter game or hound Nash from running the break, but what will happen in the paint? Honestly, it wasn't that long ago that Amare dominated the Spurs in the paint (2005 Western Conference Finals), and the Spurs were (and are) a hell of a lot better than Dallas in transition and half-court sets. Suns/Mavs might not happen, but it'll be a shoot out. I don't think Dallas can lock down teams for stretches like recent champions. That's why they seem flimsy. Remember, Suns/Mavs went six games last year without Amare. As for the bench, that's a bunch of misfits.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Dallas might be able to stop the Suns' perimeter game or hound Nash from running the break, but what will happen in the paint? Honestly, it wasn't that long ago that Amare dominated the Spurs in the paint (2005 Western Conference Finals), and the Spurs were (and are) a hell of a lot better than Dallas in transition and half-court sets. Suns/Mavs might not happen, but it'll be a shoot out. I don't think Dallas can lock down teams for stretches like recent champions. That's why they seem flimsy. Remember, Suns/Mavs went six games last year without Amare. As for the bench, that's a bunch of misfits.
right...and the spurs also won that handily in 5 although stoudemire averaged nearly 40 in that series....one player however good he is, cannot win a series not against a team as good as dallas....even wade had a ton of help from the miami role players in last year's finals without which they couldn't have beaten the mavs....and did you see how the spurs ground the suns' high octane offense to an almost complete stop with some classic defense yesterday...?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the lakers are in a freefall and the nuggets have climbed to 6th spot...but a first rounder against the suns and the spurs respectively would prove to be fatal for them anyway so it doesn't matter...

open365

International Vice-Captain
the lakers are in a freefall and the nuggets have climbed to 6th spot...but a first rounder against the suns and the spurs respectively would prove to be fatal for them anyway so it doesn't matter...
I don't think i've ever seen a more "one man team" than the Lakers

Blaze

Banned
Bulls still looking good for No. 2 seed.

Would be so cool if they made the finals... Can't see a Western Conference team losing it though.. whether its Dallas, the Spurs or whoever.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Bulls still looking good for No. 2 seed.

Would be so cool if they made the finals... Can't see a Western Conference team losing it though.. whether its Dallas, the Spurs or whoever.
they can...as long as the don't run into detroit before the finals....i doubt if they can beat detroit though....

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
right...and the spurs also won that handily in 5 although stoudemire averaged nearly 40 in that series....one player however good he is, cannot win a series not against a team as good as dallas....even wade had a ton of help from the miami role players in last year's finals without which they couldn't have beaten the mavs....and did you see how the spurs ground the suns' high octane offense to an almost complete stop with some classic defense yesterday...?
The Mavs aren't as good as the Spurs defensively, so if Amare did happen to average nearly 40 against them, they won't win. Dallas is going to rely on Terry, Stackhouse & Co. to win in the playoffs. They need scoring.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
87-84 Raps over Detroit... Raps win streak now 5... This is one heck of a team fellows one heck of a team.

Haha, can't wait for Toronto to own Detroit today, the same way they have owned the last 5 teams they faced! 6-in-a-row in sight!

Be scared Detroit, be very scared...
Shut up, and never talk again :)
Damnnnnn. Ouch, did that hurt or what!
Don't worry, this was one bad game out of the last 6... it still doesn't mean we suck. We're certainly a team to watch out for...

Anyways, Dravid, I'll respond to your comment above on April 13th in an equally nice way :p.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
No Nowitski?:huh:
The playoffs are always harder than the regular season. Dirk will be double teamed, maybe triple teamed & we all remember what happened to him in the Finals. Maybe Dirk's post game is better than I rate it, but he'll need scoring help.

This is the best Suns team in the Nash era. Easily. They beat Dallas in their last two games. With San Antonio and Phoenix near 60 wins, I wouldn't back Dallas just because they've won five more games.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The playoffs are always harder than the regular season. Dirk will be double teamed, maybe triple teamed & we all remember what happened to him in the Finals. Maybe Dirk's post game is better than I rate it, but he'll need scoring help.

This is the best Suns team in the Nash era. Easily. They beat Dallas in their last two games. With San Antonio and Phoenix near 60 wins, I wouldn't back Dallas just because they've won five more games.
the mavs aren't as good as the spurs defensively but they are getting better all the time in that dept under avery and they have a lot of offensive options....if nowitzki is double-triple teamed, he is still good enough for his 20 points and it also opens up that much more scoring opportunities for howard and terry and stackhouse and the dallas role players...

as far as the suns go, they are a fantastic offensive team, almost overloaded with offensive weapons, but their defense is really weak and apart from maybe marion and bell, i don't think they have anyone who defends consistently(indeed anyone who wants to defend), all they want to do is to attack, attack, score, score and score....admittedly they are very good at that, but winning a series by outscoring your opponents has not been the best ploy in the post-season in recent years where d has dominated....

the spurs are the most experienced team and very well balanced and have been on a real tear since the all-star break, duncan has been quietly running up mvp-style numbers, parker and ginobili are running into post-season form and i would still give them the edge in a post-season showdown with the suns...but in recent meetings starting from the classic semifinal last year, i have a feeling that dallas has developed a psychological edge over the spurs just like the one the spurs had over them forever and i just feel the mavs are hungrier this year for the ring than anyone else and that combined with the talent they possess might just prove to be too much for everyone else....

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Phoenix are one of the most misunderstood teams in the league. Everyone thinks they're a running team, despite running the pick and roll so often & getting to the line more often. Even their defence is improving. It will take temperament and a special kind of chemistry for them to make it out of the West, but they have a shot.

I wouldn't give Dallas a psychological edge over anybody.

Dravid

International Captain
87-84 Raps over Detroit... Raps win streak now 5... This is one heck of a team fellows one heck of a team.

Do note that Chauncey billups was rested for the game and the starters barely played any mins because we have clinched the number 1 seed and we are resting our players for the playoffs. I'm not saying you didnt beat us, but it isn't a win to be proud of

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do note that Chauncey billups was rested for the game and the starters barely played any mins because we have clinched the number 1 seed and we are resting our players for the playoffs. I'm not saying you didnt beat is, but it isn't a win to be proud of
8-)