• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My two younger brothers and I were all laughing and rejoicing on the victory of sport much like most people who watched the match with every run Bangladesh scored and inched towards victory.

Congrats Bangladesh!

biased indian

International Coach
James90 said:
OMG! After all this time supporting Bangladesh they've done it again and against the champions. This is just unbelievable! Ashraful is such a legend and all of them, they all did great what a performance. So many critics everyone's said they don't deserve test status but **** yas all you have no idea how great it feels for someone who's so passionate about something that they've been put down for so many time and finally to overcome the greatest team on earth. No-one can take this away from us, as if India wasn't enough but they've done it again, my ****ing god. No words can describe this. Aftab's six in the last over was just magnificent, I'm lost for words a bit like Mohammad Ashraful but I just came here to say this because you have no idea how frustrated I get when I read your posts about how poor they are and especially Langeveldt. You can shove it you douchebag.
hope u r enjoying the moment

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What in f**k happened today, my goodness whats going on with Australia. :blink: I have had a wonderful day with my girlfriend and now i come home and and see that Bangladesh have one.

Look i said i wasn't going to take australia warm up defeats seriously but now i have take this one seriosuly and if they lose tomoro and ppl start saying things like the ashes are coming home i might begin to go on their side. Geeeeeeeeeez this is just crazy :dry:

tooextracool

International Coach
this will go down as the most hilarious i have ever seen.....i mean EVER! how in the world bangladesh managed to come up with such a professional performance after being thrashed by england only 2 days ago i dont know. but i do know that they outbatted, out bowlers and out fielded australia. australia may have had the worser of the conditions to bat on, the ball moved off the seam for the first 15 overs, but surely thats no excuse for losing to bangladesh. for bangladesh, it was the best structured chase that i will probably ever see.
btw where is scallywag?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
Great win to Bangladesh, but I would have been more than happy for them to honorably lose by a couple of runs, to be honest - they get to give the top side in the world an incredible fright, and everybody wins - er, we win, that is. :)

Funnily enough, in spite of the obvous excitement for Bangladesh cricket, I found the whole thing fairly depressing - our bowling was just so lacking in penetration, and for the most part, impotent. And the fielding was pretty terrible, too. What concerns me most is that we may get another situation like the Twenty20 game tomorrow, where the Aussie bats decide to forcibly hand the poms a vengeful lesson again and self-implode.

Oh, and a terrible decision at the toss from Ponting.

And now I have to return some videotapes.
Frankly, Brad Hogg has been shown up again when bowling to the top six batsmen. Just messed up things, since the pacers were bowling a lot better. But what has happened to the fielding? Anyway, I doubt if they would "self-implode"- they know their mistakes, and they'll get enough chances to redeem themselves in the next match.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I left the house at 74-3 when Javed slashed it to backward point to go and have an hour or so's net - expected 170/180 or so, but when I came back in and saw the scorecard, I looked at it, looked at it again, looked for a third time, and then it registered.

Mind-blowing. :D

from_da_lost_di

School Boy/Girl Captain
congrats to bangladesh but i will wait atleast till the end of ASHES for the dust to settle down ..
i m not reading much i to this!!!
newyas a gr8 win for bangladeh

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do think it shows there is talent in Bangladesh, hopefully now it can be harnessed on a semi-regular basis. Let's be honest, if they can beat Australia they can beat anyone.

I have to say fair play to the Aussie posters in the thread who've all taken it sportingly on the chin. I'd like to think if it were us I'd be similarly disposed.

Doubt it tho. :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
whats the story about Symonds being ommited because of breech of team rules. Goodness i dont want to exaggerate but is it all going to pieces for Australia or what. But has TEC said it is strange that after all the beaten that Bangladesh have suffered form England this season and then come up with a performace like this againts the World Champions :blink:

King_Ponting

International Regular
Well that was a great win by bangladesh. I could be a sore loser and say australia played really sh*t but the fact of the matter is that bangladesh played above themselves and were by far the best team on the day. I just have to say one thing tho. the bowling of jason gillespie is so predictable and is something we needs to work on. Anyways well done bangladesh, this has really pt life into an otherwise percieved dull series

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dav Whatmore might just be Australia's nemisis. First the 96 world cup, then this... and probably more in between that I forget. Traitor :p

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
God, he was awful. It was like a village cricketer had wondered on by mistake! I bet Mashud was loving the bouncers when he was standing up with no helmet too!
well hes certainly a better bowler than that. hes taken 7 wickets in a test against pakistan and he can get the ball to swing. just wasnt his day.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
I do think it shows there is talent in Bangladesh, hopefully now it can be harnessed on a semi-regular basis. Let's be honest, if they can beat Australia they can beat anyone.

I have to say fair play to the Aussie posters in the thread who've all taken it sportingly on the chin. I'd like to think if it were us I'd be similarly disposed.

Doubt it tho. :p
I think most people are genuinely happy for Bangladesh, though Scallywag made himself conspicuous by his absence. Brendon Julian looked distinctly uncomfortable after the match, though he should be, considering he couldn't pronounce 'Bashar' before the match...

That surely has to be one of the most exciting chases I've ever seen, not only because it was Bangladesh beating Australia, but because of the way they planned the innings; at one stage the RRR was 7.5+, but Bangladesh always looked like they had a genuine chance. It will be VERY interesting to see how the Australian players conduct themselves tomorrow, and indeed in their next game against Bangladesh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
All the praise and credit to Whatmore would be less in comparison to what the man has done.

That man is indeed a legend.

And Md. Ashraful, Habibul Bashar have their names in cricket history ensured.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
whats the story about Symonds being ommited because of breech of team rules. Goodness i dont want to exaggerate but is it all going to pieces for Australia or what. But has TEC said it is strange that after all the beaten that Bangladesh have suffered form England this season and then come up with a performace like this againts the World Champions :blink:
I think the difference was England went out being ruthless and kept Bangladesh down and didn't allow them to play. I guess the situation on Thursday was similar to today, there was a bit of dampness there to exploit and England put Bangladesh in and exploited it, Australia decided to bat first - if England had decided to bat first on Thursday who knows...

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I have to admit that Aftab's six fostered an involuntary groan in me. I fell asleep at 3 for 72 and woke up to find Ashraful bringing up his century. Full credit to him.

Can't find much except negatives from this game, but this might be the kick up the Scallywag that the Australians need.

I think a few players today have proven that they are mortal, and one in particular playing as if he was anything but.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay did some one notice McGrath almost brushing aside a Bangladesh player when he went to shake hands with him with a stare.

Also, it was disappointing to see Ponting not speak on Bangladesh on their historic moment. Also his field placings, not keeping a few more players in catching positions and putting men deep in the circle wasnt the greatest captaincy I have seen. It didnt start with 10 overs to go. It was from atleast 25 overs or so to go to finish the match around when I started watching the game seriously.

Also a commentator (cant remember who it was) summed it mid Bangladesh inning summed it perfectly when he said 'Australia are waiting for some thing to happen than do some thing themselves.'

Also, not as many Australian posters during the last 10-15 overs of the match which I see from the forum posts right now as English and other country posters which has more to do than the time difference I suspect.

Any way, those who did post, took it very well. Guys like slowlove, jono..

crickmate

U19 12th Man
I won't say anything else but one thing I will repeat again that I said earlier: Bangladesh has lots of cricket potential. And they are really improving day by day. Most of the players are still very young. Please give them some more time without criticising. Citicising does help a team to grow up.

Richard said he will eat earth if Bangladesh become a competitive team within 5 years. I am waiting for that day :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
Okay did some one notice McGrath almost brushing aside a Bangladesh player when he went to shake hands with him with a stare.

Also, it was disappointing to see Ponting not speak on Bangladesh on their historic moment. Also his field placings, not keeping a few more players in catching positions and putting men deep in the circle wasnt the greatest captaincy I have seen. It didnt start with 10 overs to go. It was from atleast 25 overs or so to go to finish the match around when I started watching the game seriously.

Also a commentator (cant remember who it was) summed it mid Bangladesh inning summed it perfectly when he said 'Australia are waiting for some thing to happen than do some thing themselves.'

Also, not as many Australian posters during the last 10-15 overs of the match which I see from the forum posts right now as English and other country posters which has more to do than the time difference I suspect.

Any way, those who did post, took it very well. Guys like slowlove, jono..
To be fair, although I live in Australia I support India so I'm obviously going to be happy for Bangladesh winning. I didn't really have to 'take' anything :p

The game ended it at about 3-3:30 am here, so you can't expect all the Aussie posters to be awake. They'll show up in a few hours, and we'll see their reactions then. ;)

EDIT: Also Ponting's captaincy was horrible, absolutely horrible. Does he know what a third man is?

Last edited: