• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 39 - Bangladesh v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woodster

International Captain
Yes only seen brief highlights, but looks a pretty spineless effort from Bangladesh, barely making SA work for the victory. Will be huge disappointment around the nation after the side crash out with hardly a whimper. I'm certainly not complaining though, gave a huge sigh of relief this morning when I saw their batting in all kings of trouble.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not particularly proud of making it to the QF on the back of another team's (catastrophic) failure, but I suppose West Indies deserves it for beating them convincingly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well according to Sky Bangas could go through if India obliterate the Windies. Anyone know how many runs India would need to win by for that to happen?

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
At present Bangla have -1.361 NRR and WI have +1.650 NRR respectively...........atleast 200 runs?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
250 runs would still leave WI ahead. WI bowled out for 50 and chased in 5 overs would still leave WI ahead, I believe.
Given the margin of victory the Windies would have needed to knock India out, I'm guessing India will need to post a world record then bowl out the Windies for a record low.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Kayes. :laugh:

Worst leave. Great inswing from Tsotters. Not a bad chap to have in reserve for the saffers, is he?
Would make most of the other teams left in the competition. Would walk into India's team with eyes shut. Can't believe the wealth of riches the Saffers have in the bowling department.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Problem for Bangladesh is that its usually one step forward, two step backs. This WC however, it was just two steps back. Practically no positives to take out of this - their batting was inept, only two batsman are what you would describe international class and with the next WC in Aus + NZ, their seamers need to come on and the sides culture needs to change. They had a slow, low wicket yesterday, where they could get through 40 overs of spin yet they still ended up losing by their biggest margin in terms of runs in a WC game.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Problem for Bangladesh is that its usually one step forward, two step backs. This WC however, it was just two steps back. Practically no positives to take out of this - their batting was inept, only two batsman are what you would describe international class and with the next WC in Aus + NZ, their seamers need to come on and the sides culture needs to change. They had a slow, low wicket yesterday, where they could get through 40 overs of spin yet they still ended up losing by their biggest margin in terms of runs in a WC game.
I don't think it's been a complete disaster from Bangladesh. They beat the two teams they were expected to beat and also one of the teams above them ( I know WI were below Bangladesh in the rankings at the start of the tournament but in real terms they are a better team). They would have took that at the start of the tournament if given a choice and only narrowly failed to qualify for the knockouts. I think you can call that a positive.

The negatives are obvious; the manner of the three defeats, all three being huge which meant they failed to qualify, losing out on NRR.
They lost their heads in the defeats to WI and particularly SA, where in the latter game I think the batsmen knew that the game and thus the tournament was over for them after the first couple of wickets.
This mental side of the game is where Bangladesh lack severely in comparison to all the other teams, including Zimbabwe and Ireland. The main reason for this is that the average age of the squad is 22/23, the youngest side of all the teams and I'm guessing by a wide margin. Some of them may have played many games but at the end of the day they are still "kids" relative to opposition players. They lack grit, determination, composure, guile etc.
The reasons for this is twofold; firstly a lack of quality coaches at youth level, and secondly a poor domestic league. At u19 level (and below) the players are competitive relative to the youth from Test playing nations but they don't progress and develop like the youngsters from the other teams.
When they do make it to the national setup, often many of them have to be taught basics and have their techniques corrected by the national coaches because of the lack of previous quality coaching. The national domestic league, while it has improved in recent years, it is still poor in terms of structure and quality of players compared to others. This is a big advantage Irish players ( and also Dutch players through Kolpak) have over the Bangladeshi players, as they have access to County Cricket, which can be a huge factor in the development of a player.

So, what's the outlook for the future. Well they have to keep the core of this team and add the best of the promising youngsters. Keep the likes of Shakib, Tamim, Razzak, Shafiul, Rubel, Kayes, (Mahmadullah and Mushfiqur only for Tests, and competing for top order in ODIs). Add to that youngsters like Jahurul Islam, Nasir Hossain, Mahmadul Hasan etc. They also need to separate the Test team and the ODI team, some players are clearly not suited for ODIs but are for Tests (Mushfiqur, Siddique etc). In conclusion Bangladesh are still a work in progress, even after all these years, but one day we will get there. Amra Korbo Joy (we shall overcome).