• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #38- Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka - November 6th - Delhi (D/N)

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Shame that BD fans will remember this WC for all the controversies and not for cricket. Starting from Tamim-Shakib feuds to breaking spirit of cricket and all. I’ll maintain that Shakib can’t be the captain of this team. He creates too many controversies for the team to focus on cricket. When he was not captain in the last series against NZ, Hasan Mahmud and Liton called Sodhi back in ground after the mankad incident. Everyone took it sportingly. I dont think it would have been possible if Shakib was the captain that time.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Shame that BD fans will remember this WC for all the controversies and not for cricket. Starting from Tamim-Shakib feuds to breaking spirit of cricket and all. I’ll maintain that Shakib can’t be the captain of this team. He creates too many controversies for the team to focus on cricket. When he was not captain in the last series against NZ, Hasan Mahmud and Liton called Sodhi back in ground after the mankad incident. Everyone took it sportingly. I dont think it would have been possible if Shakib was the captain that time.
And that's good because they have played **** cricket in this WC.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Star Sports was showing a timer with a replay from a fixed camera angle from the moment the catch was taken up until Mathews helmet strap breaking on repeat throughout the second innings. Comms couldn't stop talking about it. Pretty clear it was 1 min 55, everyone who was watching the game knows this already. It's not the 'shocking' evidence that Mathews thinks it is lol.
Do you think the 4th umpire should issue an apology for what he said in the innings break?

cnerd123

likes this
Do you think the 4th umpire should issue an apology for what he said in the innings break?
Not really. We're splitting hairs over 5 seconds over a detail that would not have impacted the final decision. Common sense says he wouldn't have been ready to face the ball in 2 mins even if his helmet was fine, and it's the delay caused by looking for a new helmet that lead to the appeal.

I wonder if the umpires told Shakib that the time spent for the new helmet would be accounted as 'good cause' and not held against BD. Might have stopped him from appealing for the timed out? Or maybe not. Mathews was a big wicket in that moment.

King Kane

International Debutant
And that's good because they have played **** cricket in this WC.
They played their best cricket of the tournament in this game but unfortunately for them it was overshadowed by the timed out dismissal controversy.

It sounded like the umpires were trying to cover their arses by saying that Mathews was over the 2 minute limit even without the broken helmet strap.

If they admitted they stuffed up by not considering the extra time taken for the broken helmet strap it would have poured petrol on the outrage fire,

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if the umpires told Shakib that the time spent for the new helmet would be accounted as 'good cause' and not held against BD. Might have stopped him from appealing for the timed out? Or maybe not. Mathews was a big wicket in that moment.
In the presser Shakib told that umpires asked him if he would like to withdraw the appeal because once given out it would not look good if called back again had shakib decided to withdraw later. Shakib said he didn’t want to withdraw. It goes to show he was fully aware of the consequences

cnerd123

likes this
If they admitted they stuffed up by not considering the extra time taken for the broken helmet strap it would have poured petrol on the outrage fire,
there is no allowance for extra time in the Timed Out law. It is very poorly written. The batter has to be in place to face the ball within 2 minutes or they are out. No ifs ands or buts. It was 1 min 55 and Mathews was not ready. What they said was not 100% accurate but not wrong to the degree where it makes a difference.

The umps definitely could have handled the situation better - nudging Mathews to change the helmet after a ball had been bowled, or by doing a better job at persuading Shakib to drop the appeal - but they applied the law correctly. It's just a **** law.

Owzat

U19 Captain
It's only a matter of time before this thread is besieged by those enemies of justice who would sacrifice the sacred laws of our game at the altar of their own misplaced indignation (again).

Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to commend the three umpires for having the moral fortitude to apply the laws correctly, as they are written, despite the risk of being flagellated by the batons of public opinion. They are, each of them, vessels of truth and fairness.
oh good grief

what were the non-strikers gaining when mankaded? 1/10 of a run? what did the bowlers (hope to) gain? a wicket
what was Bairstow gaining when Careycaded? nothing. what did Carey gain? a wicket
what was Mathews gaining by taking a few seconds or 1-2 minutes longer to get to the crease? nothing. what did Bangladesh gain? a wicket

seems to be a common theme there, want a wicket, go for an indirect route to get it. the laws are there to maintain a balance, but ultimately it is a GAME not war, players are human not robots, exploiting the laws can't be justified as "it's in the laws" unless you are a bit of an *ahem*

the game is supposed to be a contest between bat and ball, and played in good spirit with respect for each other and this kind of thing is dragging the game right down. What I find hilarious and offensive all in one is people argue "the ball wasn't dead" or "the non-striker was trying to gain an unfair advantage", both by doing what hundreds and thousands and millions have done before without fear of some smartarse exploiting the letter of the law, and in this most recent farce suggesting "he should have checked his equipment", which even if he had done, or hadn't, wouldn't mean it couldn't break just like that. I've been using same pair of nail clippers for decades, they broke the other day, not something I could have anticipated, it happens (sometimes) that things stop working or break

you are justifying the extremes some go to in order to get a free wicket, play hard, play fair, if you want to get into law(s) become a lawyer.