• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #29 - India vs England- October 29th - Lucknow (D/N)

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even if all that were true, it wouldn't explain the nature of the defeats.

2015 was a team that was rubbish, this lot were the 2nd favourites going in. Now you can say how we all thought the bowling might struggle, but the batting? Yesterday was the second time in 3 innings that none of the top 6 had reached 20. That had not happened in the previous 282!!

And what are these deficiencies? Presumably the same ones that have dominated white ball cricket for the last 7 years.
England were NOT 2nd favourites going in at all.

Molehill

International Captain
Root and Stokes are no longer the players they were in the format. Moeen always a kinda bits and pieces who is batting too high. Spinning conditions and slow pitches not suitable for their batting style. Don't have a strong bowling core (Topley out of nowhere seemed to be leader of the pack at one point). No Archer like spearhead. Etc. I believe. And interested in hearing more from others.
They'd literally just given NZ a hiding which included Stokes smashing 180. They should've won the 2016 T20 on these pitches in 2016. They'd reached the semis on similar pitches in 2021. The bowling I can give you, but the batting capitulation is something no one predicted.

England were NOT 2nd favourites going in at all.
Yep, they really were.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
England's final game of this competition should be the final game ever for a lot of these players but unfortunately (apart from Willey) they've signed new contracts. Some of them for 3 years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I had my reservations. 🤷
You never see a bookie riding a bike though.

Obviously your reservations were largely correct btw, I think it's perhaps a semantics piece.

Worth noting though that lots of the best voices out there like Jarrod Kimber, Adam Collins, Geoff Lemon etc expected semis as bare minimum for England - although all did note the points on bowling etc.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Root and Stokes are no longer the players they were in the format. Moeen always a kinda bits and pieces who is batting too high. Spinning conditions and slow pitches not suitable for their batting style. Don't have a strong bowling core (Topley out of nowhere seemed to be leader of the pack at one point). No Archer like spearhead. Etc. I believe. And interested in hearing more from others.
England absolutely not suited to slow two-paced Indian conditions where you can't always hit through the line.

Add in that some of the ageing stars are now ordinary in this format and most players are literally out of form and low on confidence since initial defeats... plus lack of preparation, it sums up England's downfall.

Had England batted first in Mumbai, they'd have done a much better job in that match. they have made dumb decisions on top of everything. So it shouldn't be surprising that they are fighting for top 8. Once you are in a rut, it's hard to come out of it. India 0-8 in 2011/12 prime example.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What the bookies say is meaningless. It doesn't matter who they say are favourites etc. Tune them out

If for example, say an Australian Select XI featuring Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Waugh, Hussey and Martyn were playing a random 1st Grade team - they'd probably be favourites. Irrespective of the fact all of these players have retired and haven't played professional sport in a decade, I'm willing to bet they'd be favourites due to their pedigree and reputation as ex-professionals and elite test match batsman

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think with the bookies they literally were.
I had England 3rd behind India and Australia, based on HISTORY and not actual data. They were 5th in ODI rankings.

But then South Africa emerged and beat Australia at home. And NZ unleashed Rachin.. He single-handedly made a massive difference in bringing NZ on par with India and Aus.

Players from Aus, SA and NZ play in the IPL so much that it's their second home. So it's hardly surprising they have been the best sides.

In hindsight we overestimated England and they were probably 4th-5th best side coming into the world cup.

Btw Booking odds are driven by betting. If English people were betting big on England, then they would have had shorter odds than they deserved.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay...
What I mean is in the context of the game. Whether England are 2nd, 5th or 3rd favourites is irrelevant as to how they'll actually perform.
My main point is that we shouldn't use this information to gauge how a team will perform

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
They'd literally just given NZ a hiding which included Stokes smashing 180. They should've won the 2016 T20 on these pitches in 2016. They'd reached the semis on similar pitches in 2021. The bowling I can give you, but the batting capitulation is something no one predicted.
Yeah fair enough. Batting in Indian conditions is different though. No one expected England to be bottom of the table so I acknowledge this is hindsight commentary to a large extent, but in that respect it's no worse than lack-of-confidence narrative. I can buy it in some other scenarios but England's success across formats has been built on huge self belief. It can't be that they lost all of it as soon as this tournament started.