• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #25- England vs Sri Lanka- October 26th-Bengaluru(D/N)#BottomDwellers

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the sentiment coming through here about England - and let's remember they are the defending champion - and their nonchalance/lack of concern about doing well in this tournament. Have they picked the right players? Arguable each way I guess...but they damn certain haven't valued the format, or shown in any way that they were deeply interested in defending their title. Can't tell me they went from 2019 champions to only winning one ODI series, about 2 months ago, based on form or confidence. It was lack of interest.

This is why when many posters here say that bilateral series don’t matter , it is completely nonsense. It is these bilateral series which gives you readymade player for ICC tournaments.
Absolutely. If we're not going to play bilaterals between World Cup years, and countries like England are going to bury their 50-over comp below the coo-ing to Millennials that is the Hundred, then let's not have World Cups at all. Do it properly or don't do it at all.

If we bin the World Cup, we only have T20 World Cups, and WTC. T20 World Cups are interesting to watch but have no context or deeper relevance. WTCs become only interesting to the 2-3 teams at the top of the ladder. If that's what you're hanging your hat on for international cricket, that's not a lot of depth of interest to sustain you. Then the franchise competitions, the IPLs/the Saudis really start circling the wagons and sensing their time is nigh.

I said it about Test cricket before and I believe it about 50-over cricket now...they can, and should be seen as loss leaders in a sense, as long as the overall profit of the game is healthy. International cricket, I believe, needs ODIs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Love the sentiment coming through here about England - and let's remember they are the defending champion - and their nonchalance/lack of concern about doing well in this tournament. Have they picked the right players? Arguable each way I guess...but they damn certain haven't valued the format, or shown in any way that they were deeply interested in defending their title. Can't tell me they went from 2019 champions to only winning one ODI series, about 2 months ago, based on form or confidence. It was lack of interest.

Absolutely. If we're not going to play bilaterals between World Cup years, and countries like England are going to bury their 50-over comp below the coo-ing to Millennials that is the Hundred, then let's not have World Cups at all. Do it properly or don't do it at all.

If we bin the World Cup, we only have T20 World Cups, and WTC. T20 World Cups are interesting to watch but have no context or deeper relevance. WTCs become only interesting to the 2-3 teams at the top of the ladder. If that's what you're hanging your hat on for international cricket, that's not a lot of depth of interest to sustain you. Then the franchise competitions, the IPLs/the Saudis really start circling the wagons and sensing their time is nigh.

I said it about Test cricket before and I believe it about 50-over cricket now...they can, and should be seen as loss leaders in a sense, as long as the overall profit of the game is healthy. International cricket, I believe, needs ODIs.
I firmly believe that the international T20 franchise circuit is a ponzi scheme of a sporting structure and it's going to collapse sooner than later. There are ludicrous amounts of money being thrown at games of cricket that hardly anyone is going to watch involving teams no one supports unless they have a direct financial interest (read: gambling), it's such an obvious bubble. ODIs are flawed but at least there's a "there" there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I firmly believe that the international T20 franchise circuit is a ponzi scheme of a sporting structure and it's going to collapse sooner than later. There are ludicrous amounts of money being thrown at games of cricket that hardly anyone is going to watch involving teams no one supports unless they have a direct financial interest (read: gambling), it's such an obvious bubble. ODIs are flawed but at least there's a "there" there.
I so hope that you're right.

Groundking

International Debutant
People have been saying this about football for years yet the transfer market keeps getting even crazier every year. Maybe Cricket will be different but these things can last a long time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree with you about quite a few of the Franchise leagues but I still think T20Is and the bigger leagues will remain major players and money spinners.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Every player at the world cup is a millennial I think your confused there. 81-96 are millennials.

ECB are just thinking about lining their own pockets as they never copyrighted T20. Got nothing to do about "coo-ing"

If they gave a **** about participation they'd not have stuck England cricket behind a paywall for 18 years.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Every player at the world cup is a millennial I think your confused there. 81-96 are millennials.

ECB are just thinking about lining their own pockets as they never copyrighted T20. Got nothing to do about "coo-ing"

If they gave a **** about participation they'd not have stuck England cricket behind a paywall for 18 years.
Yeah you're right, did I mean Gen Z?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with all apart from the IPL. The IPL will probably always thrive and survive no matter what the financial situation because the ego premium of owning a franchise is worth it for Indian owners - especially especially in local business.

But for leagues like the Saudi one, I agree. When they cease to give a **** at whatever time for whatever reason, that's it. Off they go without one **** given. I think that's been seen in the EPL when rich owners lose interest? And that's why LIV golf is so dangerous and why I respect the guys who stayed on the PGA Tour.

Most, if not all international or major sporting leagues need to be propped up by organisation's that care about long term stability, finances in the here and now and long into the future, grassroots, tradition, context, the lot. If you don't have that, you're building your empire on sandy ground that can move and **** everything you've done. That's why cricket cannot throw everything in the T20 basket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I hate all limited overs cricket so I hope it all goes away but I genuinely know “fans” of some of the franchises of T20.

obviously there’s not the history and culture like there is with football clubs in Europe or other well established sporting leagues elsewhere, so I don’t think that comparison can be made, but people [non gamblers] do seem to be tuning in and seem invested. And 130 million or something people watched the first match of the IPL last year so clearly there’s someone watching - India has a lot of gamblers but not that many.

and in another 20 years…who knows?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I hate all limited overs cricket so I hope it all goes away but I genuinely know “fans” of some of the franchises of T20.

obviously there’s not the history and culture like there is with football clubs in Europe or other well established sporting leagues elsewhere, so I don’t think that comparison can be made, but people [non gamblers] do seem to be tuning in and seem invested.

and in another 20 years…who knows?
I think @honestbharani pretty earnestly supports CSK.

So a question for you HB - when the CSK owners open up other franchises in other competitions (say like the new Saudi one), will you instinctively support them as well or does your support not really translate that way?

Flem274*

123/5
I think it's more that very few people actually believe franchise t20 is the pinnacle or as good as cricket.

Maybe that will change in 20 years but the cricket market, hand on heart, would not put t20 at the top of what they want their team/country to win.

I've introduced people to cricket through odis and even though they might not be wild on tests, being fans of other sports they can recognize a lesser game when they see t20s. Anecdotal of course.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I always wonder if Dilhara was playing these days how many free hits he'll be serving up. Was a no ball machine 😂
What makes it even better is that even after it hit the stumps the keeper then caught the ball. Would have been possibly excusable if it ran away to the boundary, but even if he thought Bopara hit it then he should have thought he was caught behind. :laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree with all apart from the IPL. The IPL will probably always thrive and survive no matter what the financial situation because the ego premium of owning a franchise is worth it for Indian owners - especially especially in local business.

But for leagues like the Saudi one, I agree. When they cease to give a **** at whatever time for whatever reason, that's it. Off they go without one **** given. I think that's been seen in the EPL when rich owners lose interest? And that's why LIV golf is so dangerous and why I respect the guys who stayed on the PGA Tour.

Most, if not all international or major sporting leagues need to be propped up by organisation's that care about long term stability, finances in the here and now and long into the future, grassroots, tradition, context, the lot. If you don't have that, you're building your empire on sandy ground that can move and **** everything you've done. That's why cricket cannot throw everything in the T20 basket.
Yeah to be clear none of what I said applies you the IPL, that's clearly here to stay.