• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

subshakerz

International Coach
Funny enough, all the constant reminders about Lara's strong points are making me consider if I would actually rank him above Tendulkar. I have Tendulkar ahead of Lara mainly because of longevity. But I rate Viv so highly because outside of spreadsheets, he was a real life match winner. Could turn the match around in the space of a few overs. Could decimate the opposition. Lara was similar. He could take the match away from you very quickly. Something not present in Tendulkar, who was far more methodical in his approach. I do value these traits very highly. So maybe I might just reconsider having flashes of brilliance and then fizzling out rather than someone who delivers consistently but not spectacularly.
These are caricatures. Tendulkar was more pragmatic in how he adjusted his play based on the situation but also aggressive when he needed to be. Lara when he cut loose always seemed possible to get out and frequently did.

And consistency is a must for anyone who wants to get to top tier level. What you do on top of that determines who is better.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara scored 500 or more in a series 7 times. Viv only 2. Plus Viv never played any innings like 153 or 213.
Oh you mean mega series scorer. Yes, Lara is better than Viv there. But in terms of being the difference between two sides against quality attacks over a series, Viv is better.

Sachin never had any performance like 180, Sabina Park or 2011 tour of England.
Sachin has his own share of knocks beyond Dravid in the 90s too, Chennai 155 and 136, Perth 92, Melbourne 99, etc. Let's not jump the gun there and discredit Tendulkar.

subshakerz

International Coach
One post questioning Sachin and you call out someone for discrediting the player you support, yet 80% of your posts are discrediting the player you tend to argue against. :blink:
Anil Bhai, I am just addressing blanket statements like 'Tendulkar never had any innings...'

I have mixed my critiques of Lara with his plus points, even on this very page.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
One of the disadvantages of playing for an ATG team is that you get to play only one innings in many tests. And that limits your run output.
Even in the 7 series Lara played only in 3 he batted all innings and one of them was a 3 match series while the other 2 was 4 match series.