• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* IPL 2019

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith was in a rut before the ban. He’s lucky he can now blame it for all his failures.

TheJediBrah

Williamson legitimately needs to make himself unavailable for the next game, even if he's fit.
I thought it would have been obvious already that he shouldn't be getting a game tbh. Nabi would be the only one I'd consider leaving him out for and it's touch and go

Lol, Nice overreaction that. You're drawing that conclusion based on a few T20 innings? A format he's merely been 'very good' as opposed to 'excellent' in anyway?

It's his Test batting exploits that's made him the Steve Smith we know. Can we at least wait to see him back in whites before deciding he's gone from being Bradman reincarnated to a nobody? Cheers.
Nah mostly just wanted to use it to set up my dig at Warner

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They were mostly pretty trash. Knight overachieved but I mean Ealham? Come on m8
Hick was coming off 3 tons in the 98/99 tri series against SL and Aus, the 2 finalists from 96. Fairbrother and Mullally were also in career best form

Ealham was pretty good for a couple of years in 99/00 but yeah probably the worst of this bunch

To go with their actual better known players, ie the test regulars, I feel they had an okay shot in 99. They did win 3 of their 5 group games as well. Usually thatd be enough to advance

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Hick was coming off 3 tons in the 98/99 tri series against SL and Aus, the 2 finalists from 96. Fairbrother and Mullally were also in career best form

Ealham was pretty good for a couple of years in 99/00 but yeah probably the worst of this bunch

To go with their actual better known players, ie the test regulars, I feel they had an okay shot in 99. They did win 3 of their 5 group games as well. Usually thatd be enough to advance
Do you really think any of those players would have made the 1999 Aus side though? or SA side? I think they were good by England's standards at the time but not really good in general

mr_mister

I mean Martyn/Lehmann/Julian/Moody could have made way for some of them in '99. Not saying Hick and Fairbrother were better players overall but they were certainly in better form(except for maybe Moody)

I know they didn't have the ATGs of Australia and SA, but neither did Zim or NZ and they both performed very well. Zim beat SA and NZ beat Australia in important group games. Gelling as a group is as important as having mega stars for world cups, look at SL's '96 team. England were playing really good ODI cricket leading up to the tournament, and brought that into their first 2 games of the tournament, with 2 easy wins.

I feel, compared to all the other cups after '96, '99 was their best side

Edit- should clarify '99 was their best chance, not best side.

Last edited:

Zinzan

I thought it would have been obvious already that he shouldn't be getting a game tbh. Nabi would be the only one I'd consider leaving him out for and it's touch and go
Clearly Moody and co aren't thinking that way, since they made him skipper, and since he was rushed back for the 2nd game when announced fit, ahead of Nabi, only to pull up with a niggle for the 3rd. Hard to see them leaving Nabi (following his cheap 4-fer), Bairstow/Warner (after their hundreds) or Rashid (for being Rashid) out in their next game, but they likely will if the skipper's fit, unless KW leaves himself out. No doubt Nabi will be the causality, which would be really harsh.

That said, we probably shouldn't forget KW was the top run scorer in the whole tournament last year and had a SR >140., but on form it's tough for one of those other 4 to miss. Good dilemma to have I guess.

trundler

Did all of you forget Kane's iconic last season? He's the perfect fit for this team at 3. Let's not pretend he's some hack making it purely based on reputation. He's better than Smith.

Daemon

Nabi will miss out imo. They may 'rest' KW though under the guise of making sure he's fully fit.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
April fools innings from Steve Smith. He's lost it tbh. Destroyed by the ban.

Warner's come back as good as ever because he doesn't give a **** and probably doesn't think he did anything wrong
his lack of intellect is definitely helps him as a batsman. No room for self doubt when brain cells are in limited supply.

TheJediBrah

Did all of you forget Kane's iconic last season? He's the perfect fit for this team at 3. Let's not pretend he's some hack making it purely based on reputation. He's better than Smith.
Not exactly saying much though is it

Starfighter

Just watched the highlights of that match last night. What a glorious game, de Villiers playing past effectively gentle slow-medium a definite highlight.

slippy888

International Captain
You cant say that RCB batting lineup is one of the best when you have a aging AB Deviller in it, he was world class standard player 2 years ago but you dont know what you will get from him these days.