• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India vs England 2021 General Discussion thread

BSM

U19 Cricketer
If England were to win one test match, I'd be pretty happy tbh. I suppose the D/N game could give our swing bowlers a bit more to work with, but I think it will be our opening batsmen and spinners that will probably let us down throughout. Sibley and Crawley have been dire against spin starting up in Sri Lanka and though India will have decent seam bowlers to open the bowling, Ashwin will likely be introduced early to deal with them. Burns will probably come in for one of them, but iirc he weren't that great starting up against spin in his last tour of Sri Lanka either, so its not an easy solve; especially with Bairstow being rested for the first two.
Realistically, I think Bess and Leach might only perform well if India prepare some raging turners. If they prepare some roads Ashwin and whoever the other spinner they end up picking will outbowl them easily. Its not like Ali is that dependable either.
Our middle order is shaping up well, and so are the quicks, but I just don't think our spinners are good enough collectively - Leach is decent, just not great, and Bess so far has been mediocre
I do wonder, rather wishfully, if India might come into the first test a bit undercooked (or should I say overcooked). Injuries and a quick turn around from a very intense, tightly-contested Australia tour might mean that India take a while to to find their best form back at home, and you'd think Kohli's captaincy would be under pressure, at least superficially, if they started badly. On the other hand, England have at least had the benefit of decent preparation against Sri Lanka.
Hopefully will be a good watch.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
If they are in a bubble, let them in and a test on 2nd and on 4th day should be fine.
jadeja and hardik are not test #5s. a bit of overthinking from sentry and others imo.

rohit
gill
pujara
kohli
rahane
vihari/hardik/washington
jadeja
ashwin
saha
shami
bumrah

your best team for home games imo
Jadeja bats at 4 for his state and has three triple hundreds. And averages over 50.

He doesn't get a chance to establish the innings when he bats at 7 or lower. It is simply established prejudice in the mind that he is one of India's premier bowler which is preventing him from batting up. Quite stupid thinking.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Oh dear , not Murali Kartik again - a non functioning toaster would be better value.

Won't mind L Siva as he can bring out some local Chennai flavour.

FBU

International Debutant
I would go with

1 Burns
2 Crawley
3 Lawrence
4 Root
5 Stokes
6 Pope
7 Foakes
8 Broad
9 Archer
10 Leach
11 Anderson

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kartik and Siva are good value when talking about spin bowling. But as an overall commentator, I rate Deep Das Gupta a bit better than both. And I quite enjoyed Rohan Gavaskar on comms too, once he got past his initial nervousness. I hope these guys get a chance.

Kirkut

International Regular
India should win if they are not complacent - they are the better team imo.
Maybe the scoreline would not suggest this but the last time when England were in India, there were instances where things could have gone in England's way had it not been for Kohli at his prime batting form.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Maybe the scoreline would not suggest this but the last time when England were in India, there were instances where things could have gone in England's way had it not been for Kohli at his prime batting form.
That was only really the first test as I recall? Ground them into submission after that.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
It was all because of Kohli. I can never underestimate England, India played 5 series against them since 2010, losing 4 and winning 1.
I mean Karun Nair was scoring a 70 SR 300 and we had a few others scoring centuries. Jadeja was coming in at 350/5 most matches and smashing run a ball 50s. Kohli was monstrous but chances are, someone else would have stepped up and thumped them anyway.

The reverse Curran series in England was much closer despite the 3-1 or 4-1 scoreline.

sunilz

International Regular
I am worried about Joe Root. He is on a mission to prove everyone wrong after not being selected in any of the ICC TEST, ODI , T20 XI team of the decade

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am worried about Joe Root. He is on a mission to prove everyone wrong after not being selected in any of the ICC TEST, ODI , T20 XI team of the decade
Yeah I am sure that's the big motivation for him:dontgetit

Think we are in for a World of Pain TBH, hard to see us winning a match.

sunilz

International Regular

Doesn't it hurt when you are the only member of FAB 4 who couldn't make to any of the list ? ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

This will be an interesting change of pace here. Having spent last couple of months arrogantly proclaiming how much better we are than Australia and have their fans tell us why Australia are the greatest, this is now gonna be a contest in gambhiring, isn't it? :p

@cnerd123 you know what you need to do. :p

sunilz

International Regular
Actually I am serious. Isn't jealousy a common human trait. If I was Joe Root , I would be motivated to show that I am not a lesser batsman than any of other FAB 4 members

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure I'm Gambhiring really, this Lankan series hasn't been great compared to the last one, looks like Sibley and Crawly are less than ept in these conditions, our spinners have been gash so far, Root has been magnificent, but if it wasn't for that horrible first innings from Lanka in the first Test, we could be losing against an average Lankan side. Broad and Anderson have looked immense though, but hard to see them tearing through the Indians in the sub-continent, but who knows. Maybe Archer and Stokes can regain their top form, might make things interesting.