• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India vs England 2021 General Discussion thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pandya is a strange selection call. He hasn't bowled in red ball cricket since....I don't remember. His bowling is surplus to requirement in these conditions and India are rarely desperate to firm up their batting at home grounds.

Just don't see him featuring at all in this series.
Probably not required if everyone else is available, but if it comes down to Shardul vs Pandya, I am going Pandya easily.
I believe he has been selected purely as a batsman and basically they just want him around the set up with the view to get him bowling by the time we get to England (hopefully for the WTC final first).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And in Chennai, 3 pacers, even in the late winter, will be surplus. Kuldeep, Sundar/Axar, Ashwin plus 2 seamers is the way to go. I think I would play Siraj and Shardul, and let Ishant back from the 2nd test. But they may well play Bumrah and Ishant and the 3 spinners.

What I would play -

Rohit
Gill
Pujara/Mayank
Virat (c)
Rahane (vc)
Pant (wk)
Ashwin
Axar/Sundar
Shardul
Kuldeep
Siraj

What they will play -

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Virat (c)
Rahane (vc)
Pant (wk)
Ashwin
Axar
Ishant
Kuldeep
Bumrah

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont even know if they are allowing people there. I mean, it is outdoors and it has excellent ventilation with the gaps opening up to allow the sea breeze, but not sure if they will allow crowds. Already got a school friends meet up there planned if it goes ahead. Will let you know if it works out, will reserve a ticket for you. :)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Probably not required if everyone else is available, but if it comes down to Shardul vs Pandya, I am going Pandya easily.
Think you have to reward someone who actually wants to play Test cricket. Pandya's been somewhat ambivalent towards the true form hasn't he?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
haha imagine thinking an inevitable, uncompetitive 5-0 thrashing is worthy of a subbie.

don't england have b2b series with india then an ashes tour? a lot of careers getting ended this year.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
England will do ok. They have a couple of decent spinners which for whatever reason has become a semi-achilles heel for us at home in recent years. Looks like Root has found some form too. Expect a match-changing innings from Stokes and meaningful contributions from Archer, Curran, and Broad at some time during the series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hahaha the joke is on you!

…The series is only 4 Tests.
He is probably talking about the return series where we will definitely get blanked in Ol' Blighty.

This will be an interesting change of pace here. Having spent last couple of months arrogantly proclaiming how much better we are than Australia and have their fans tell us why Australia are the greatest, this is now gonna be a contest in gambhiring, isn't it? :p

@cnerd123 you know what you need to do. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Surprised you have Mayank in contention for any spot let alone Puji's, he looks cooked.
At home, his backlift wont be an issue and he is the most realistic option for us at that slot. I imagined the worst after see Che Pu's reaction to that ball hitting his finger. If he is fit, then obviously, Puji it is.

cnerd123

likes this
I could see India jamming Rahane at 3 to play ugly anchor and give someone like Agarwal a bit more freedom at 6.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Agarwal will get runs on the subcontinent but I doubt he will get many in England or South Africa where India tour next.
India better off investing in KL Rahul as backup opener - still think he has underachieved for his talent but if Rahul fails in his next go at test cricket, look at Easwaran.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Honest question, if England manage to do the unthinkable and somehow beat India after the high of the Australian tour, will Kohli's captaincy be under any risk?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Honest question, if England manage to do the unthinkable and somehow beat India after the high of the Australian tour, will Kohli's captaincy be under any risk?
Yes IMO, individually it wouldn't but the combination of that and the Australia tour would definitely kickstart the debate, at least.

England winning is not super likely though because Kohli has a historically ATG home captaincy W/L record.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There will be noise, sure, but his record, esp. at home is phenomenal. I dont see any actual threat to his position even in that hypothetical.