• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India vs England 2021 General Discussion thread

Shri

Mr. Glass
everyone pls remember that you are talking to us here when the tour happens and not priti patel

but i don't think i'll be around

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
India's seamers looked pretty sharp in the tour game. India's chances in this series boil down purely to how well they bat.

Be interested to see what combination they use
Six batsmen plus keeper plus ashwin plus 3 seamers or
5 batsmen plus keeper plus jaddu plus ashwin plus 3 seamers or
5 batsmen plus keeper plus jaddu plus 4 seamers

Think jadeja and Ashwin both play. Jadeja is one of India's best batsmen let alone his fielding and bowling.

It's also later season England isn't it? Decent chance of turn on the 4th and 5th days.

Hell even with all that rain in the WTC final there was decent turn on that final day.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The one thing about the way Jaddu bats is that he needs to bat with a batsman as much as possible. I would even bat him at 5 but more realistically, I would at least have him bat ahead of Pant. He takes time to get set, plays a lot of balls without scoring or even attempting to score runs and is not very comfortable when he suddenly has to play a lot of shots before he is into his rhythm.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think India will get rolled in this series unless Ashwin and Kohli really carry things. My one hope is please England do not select Sam Curran!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
With Stokes out, the younger Curran is a certainty in the side now.
Unless England play six batsmen followed by Buttler at 7. Robinson would probably play at 8, probably followed by Broad, Leach and Anderson. However, if Buttler bats at 6, then I agree that Curran come in at 7.

I think I prefer the latter, insofar as the weaker batting line-up may be outweighed by the benefit of having the extra bowler. And Curran's worth having on the pitch if the Indian players feel the same way about him as their supporters.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe an email error and they select the other one? He'll probably be dangerous but less PTSD for the Indian batsmen and bowlers.
Ignoring the bit about Tom Curran mistakenly being selected, do you really think that the Indian players have any mental issues with Sam Curran after his performances in 2018? I get that the fans may do, but I'm guessing that the players are more professional about this. Obviously I hope that I'm wrong.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The biggest thing is that even if they do have scars, they will actually treat him like a proper batsman and bowl accordingly at him. Felt at various points during the 2018 series, they did not do that.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Woakes is also out of the test with an injury so it's curran at 7 or 4 bowlers, with no stokes or pope either england are prabably best off west curran at 7 and hoping they can meme spell india to a sub 100 all out, have no confidence in anyone aside from root and MAYBE hameed.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ignoring the bit about Tom Curran mistakenly being selected, do you really think that the Indian players have any mental issues with Sam Curran after his performances in 2018? I get that the fans may do, but I'm guessing that the players are more professional about this. Obviously I hope that I'm wrong.
No clue really. In all seriousness, probably the expert on this would be someone who has read a lot of autobiographies. I've heard of isolated incidents like Cullinan and Warne but unsure how common it is.

The "getting out lower order batsman" issue in Test cricket is a fascinating one, tbh. For top order batsmen there is often a step up required for Test level (and many are just not able to score consistently) but number eight and number nines can often do just as well as they did in FC cricket for some reason.