• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India vs England 2021 General Discussion thread

cnerd123

likes this
So apparently all Indian players have to pass the same fitness tests, regardless of playing role

Why a spinner needs to be as fit as a fast bowler is beyond me. Surely all that matters is wickets, runs and not being a liability on the field.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain

long story short, England - Leach especially - bowled flatter and quicker which meant Pujara couldn't do his dance down the track that well to smother the ball onto the onside and ended up trying to play across his front pad to try to pick up those easy singles. That's why he kept getting out lbw or just inside edging the ball.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So apparently all Indian players have to pass the same fitness tests, regardless of playing role

Why a spinner needs to be as fit as a fast bowler is beyond me. Surely all that matters is wickets, runs and not being a liability on the field.
I think the standards are slightly different for fast bowlers, other bowlers and batsmen. Or at least between fast bowlers and others. Also, the fitness requirements for LO cricket is different to test cricket. It all makes sense but I feel at the least at the beginning of such initiatives, more leeway should be given to the players. Fitness is not achieved overnight. It is a process.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They shouldn't be picking the players in the squad if they're not fit enough to begin with. Sends mixed messages.
But these are new standards and they need the Indian physio + group to monitor, I guess. Same thing happened when the Yo-Yo test was first introduced.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Hopefully Kishan gets to play. .. Dude was hitting sixes for fun in IPl.. 30 sixes to be exact most by an Indian ever. That includes sixes off Rabada Nortje Cummins. Highest scorer for Mumbai Indians with highest strike Rate. Has to bat at 4 over a guy like Iyer who was pathetic in IPl & in Australia

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the standards are slightly different for fast bowlers, other bowlers and batsmen.
Yep, different standards.

This was from about a month ago

"Among these tests was the now famous yo-yo test and the new ‘2km run’ fitness test. In this test, a batsman, wicketkeeper or a spinner has to complete the two-kilometer distance in eight minutes and 30 seconds, while for a fast bowler, the benchmark is eight minutes and 15 seconds. Six of the players failed to clear these tests. Some players barely managed to complete the run."

2km in 8:30 should really be a walk in the park for a professional athlete. The fact that some barely managed to complete the run is ****ing embarrassing.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

"Among these tests was the now famous yo-yo test and the new ‘2km run’ fitness test. In this test, a batsman, wicketkeeper or a spinner has to complete the two-kilometer distance in eight minutes and 30 seconds, while for a fast bowler, the benchmark is eight minutes and 15 seconds. Six of the players failed to clear these tests. Some players barely managed to complete the run."

2km in 8:30 should really be a walk in the park for a professional athlete. The fact that some barely managed to complete the run is ****ing embarrassing.
Not necessarily a walk in the park but something it should be very easy to train with the most minimal of routine (e.g., one 2km run per week as a pre-gym warm-up). Perhaps it is a good indicator if someone is hiding an injury of sorts.

I do question the relevance of distance running (rather than sprints, match practice, nets, etc) for international cricket fitness but I'm no expert (or even amateur) at such matters.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So apparently Varun and Tewatia failed the fitness tests and will not be picked at least for the first game. And Natarajan is still recovering from some kind of injury and has not even made it to Ahmedabad yet. Guess this will be the side now.
Shame about Varun, it seems that he could be a successful limited overs bowler given all the variations and that he's proven himself against international strength batsmen.

Tewatia I've no idea what to think about. I'm still reeling from that innings.

Harry09

Cricket Spectator
Pandya is a strange selection call. He hasn't bowled in red ball cricket since....I don't remember. His bowling is surplus to requirement in these conditions and India are rarely desperate to firm up their batting at home grounds.

Just don't see him featuring at all in this series.
yah Definitely,

A fantastic and wonderful cricket played by the Indian team against England. After losing the First Match no one knows how Team India comeback, but the team comes back with a great bounce-back which can be appreciated. Team India is full of youngsters who are played very well.

Spark

Global Moderator

Is the bar seriously that low? That's extraordinary.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not necessarily a walk in the park but something it should be very easy to train with the most minimal of routine (e.g., one 2km run per week as a pre-gym warm-up). Perhaps it is a good indicator if someone is hiding an injury of sorts.

I do question the relevance of distance running (rather than sprints, match practice, nets, etc) for international cricket fitness but I'm no expert (or even amateur) at such matters.
I think it's a good indicator of baseline level of aerobic fitness required for a format which prizes athleticism. Like it's not level 15 beep test here.

It makes sense to lift them up slowly than suddenly.
Oh I'm not questioning why it's so low; given that even such a level is a bar too high for six (!!!) professional sportsmen seeking to represent their country, clearly they can't justify pushing it any higher.

I can't remember what the actual GPS data collected suggests, but I'm pretty sure that if you can't even manage a 2km run then you're going to struggle to keep full physical intensity throughout a whole T20. It's not like it's only your fielding that will suffer if you're dog tired just from having to run around in the field.

cnerd123

likes this
I can't remember what the actual GPS data collected suggests, but I'm pretty sure that if you can't even manage a 2km run then you're going to struggle to keep full physical intensity throughout a whole T20. It's not like it's only your fielding that will suffer if you're dog tired just from having to run around in the field.
15km for a T20 iirc? Might be way off the mark here.

I think they can definitely run 2km, just not in 8 mins 30 seconds. That's not an impossible benchmark, but not something you'll get unless you actively train running. Just bowling loads of overs will not help you get that timing.

It's kind of why I find these fitness benchmarks odd. You're never going to need to run 2km in 8 mins 30 seconds in a game of cricket, so why is it considered a relevant measure of cricket fitness? Make them run 15km (or however much distance the average player covers in a T20 game) in 90 minutes, would be more appropriate.