• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, I am not sure if any wholesale changes must be made to the side, but I definitely wouldn't mind if the Indian batting order were flexible..... Kaif and Yuvraj are always ready with their " Nos. 6 and 7 are tough positions" answer everytime questions are raised about their place. Sure, the whole cricketing world knows that batting at 6 and 7 isn't easy, but that hasn't stopped guys like Bevan, Clarke, Symonds, Rhodes, Cronje (to an extent), Harris (again, to an extent).... All these guys never complained about this. They have all been dropped before too.... But they never whined like those two do.... We all know it is a tough spot to bat and we have kept them in the side inspite of failures because we know how tough it is but should they say that all the time?

JustTool

State 12th Man
honestbharani said:
No, I am not sure if any wholesale changes must be made to the side, but I definitely wouldn't mind if the Indian batting order were flexible..... Kaif and Yuvraj are always ready with their " Nos. 6 and 7 are tough positions" answer everytime questions are raised about their place. Sure, the whole cricketing world knows that batting at 6 and 7 isn't easy, but that hasn't stopped guys like Bevan, Clarke, Symonds, Rhodes, Cronje (to an extent), Harris (again, to an extent).... All these guys never complained about this. They have all been dropped before too.... But they never whined like those two do.... We all know it is a tough spot to bat and we have kept them in the side inspite of failures because we know how tough it is but should they say that all the time?
Good observation. Another rule should be: If you whine and are not happy - take a hike!

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep the batting order should be more flexible in the sense that they should have a plan a or b or something of such a sort..... If one fails they must switch to another..... Say in case of chasing 300+ and if suppose sehwag gets out early, then it may be a good ploy to send another strokemaker(eg yuvraj) or a Pinch hitter.... Such flexibilities is key to success in ODI cricket....

JustTool

State 12th Man
Ecerpt from another article in Indian Press

He has been hailed for DRAWING a Test series against England in 2002. Sir Vivian Richards told this correspondent in Colombo, "I wish critics in my time were as generous as the Indian critics are today. Imagine being hailed for drawing a series against England." And Sir Viv was not talking about Wright!

Wright is an overrated coach because:

1: He learnt very quickly about the Indian psyche and instead of changing it, started following it. He never bothered to rub the senior players like Ganguly and Tendulkar the wrong way. Ganguly's attitude towards fielding has been woeful to say the least, but Wright turned a blind eye towards that. He did not put his foot down when an unfit Tendulkar traveled with the team when he should have been resting at home.
In short, he was a selective taskmaster. The juniors and players like VVS Laxman bore the brunt of his work ethics while the likes of Ganguly were not messed around with.

2: He never backed potential players. The likes of Ajit Agarkar would have benefited enormously if Wright, a shrewd judge of players, would have backed them.

3: In the last few months, he appeared disinterested and was just counting days. When Ganguly messed around with the batting order against Australia at home, making sweeping changes and in the process destroyed the career of Aakash Chopra, Wright was just a mute spectator.

4: The case of Sanjay Bangar was most appalling. Even today, Wright is a huge admirer of Bangar, but he did not see to it that he got a fair deal. Chucked out of the national team in spite of giving it his all for the team, Wright refused to stand up for the player.

deeps

International 12th Man
that's coz the captain has too much power... if wright did something that ganguly didnt like, ganguly would make a phone call, and bye bye john wright.

Ok, maybe that's going a little too far, but that's how things work over there.

deeps

International 12th Man
another thing is ganguly has favourites when it comes to selection, and he stands by them no matter what, and leaves the coach with no choice.

Parthiv Patel is the best example. He was keeping absolutely trash, dropping regulation catches,missing stumpings etc. yet ganguly kept him, saying he was young and they could develop him for the future. Why? by the time patel became a competent keeper, the likes of sachin,dravid, ganguly himself etc. would all have retired. and then they would have to blood new batsman. If they are doing the blooding, do it all at the same time.. Dinesh Kaarthick is another young keeper who FINALLY got a shot after such a long wait. Heck, even Deep Dasgupta would have been a better option.

Ganguly obviously wasn't a Aakash Chopra fan, so he moved heaven and earth go get rid of him. murali kartik is another, who has done some wonderful things with the ball yet cannot get into he team due to ganguly's favourtisms.

The coach has no power in the selection issues in indian cricket, and it's all done by the captain and politician selectors.

The moment that changes, indian cricket will have taken a big step forward.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
deeps said:
that's coz the captain has too much power... if wright did something that ganguly didnt like, ganguly would make a phone call, and bye bye john wright.

Ok, maybe that's going a little too far, but that's how things work over there.
May be perhaps because of the fact that Wright is not an Indian.................. :blink:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think you guys are being too harsh on Wright. What could he have done REALISTICALLY about the fitness problems of Sourav? The guy is like a Chennai transformer, ready to burst out anytime and he had to be handled carefully. Plus, Sourav has done a lot of good things to Indian cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A word of caution to the Pakistan fans

I know you guys are really excited about this relatively inexperienced team having done well against India and honestly, I think the drawn test series was a great achievement. And, as well as Pakistan played in the ODIs, defeating India in an ODI series is not such a great achievement. India are only the no.8 side in the world and quite frankly, it was an expected result amongst most of the guys who know and follow the game well. So, I think they should keep this victory in perspective and not get too carried away and fall into the same pit that the Indians fell into after their win over Pakistan last year.

deeps

International 12th Man
another word of caution for pakistan fans

I know you guys are really excited about this relatively inexperienced team having done well against India but Lifting Inzimam Ul Haq onto your shoulders is the worst thing you could ever do for your back, and is probably taking celebrations a little too far :P

nehrafan

Banned
JustTool said:
Excerpt from Bob Woolmer's interview:

Checked players’ hearts for a fight. There is an Australian saying that says ‘Fit In or F*** O**’. There is no place for self-proclaimed superstars. But there is place for the real superstars: Naved Ul Hasan is a super star; Shoaib Malik is a superstar.
Superstar???

Well you are setting very low standards!

nehrafan

Banned
Nnanden said:
Taken from http://www.cricmania.com/cricket/afpNews/index/user/us03/ref/050418160042.lhr0po8h.html

The fans waved Pakistan flags and threw flower petals at the players on their arrival at Lahore international airport.

Some also lifted Captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and paceman Rana Naved-ul-Hasan -- man of the series in the one-day matches -- onto their shoulders.

:-O
Oh i just realised, the test series (the superior format of the game ) was drawn, infact Pakistan was lucky to have ended up 1-1 in test matches!! So all these greetings and worshiping of their cricketers are just because they managed to drew a series with India or because they defeated India in Oneday lottery games??

Imagine the reaction had they actually beaten India in test series 8-)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nehrafan said:
Imagine the reaction had they actually beaten India in test series 8-)
They have every right to celebrate.

There is no reason to by cynical whether they lift Inzy or treat him to feasts which makes his running between the wickets much slower.

If you want to be cyncial, you may about the Indian team, if at all.