• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ReallyCrazy said:
No it isn't. It just happens. Probably, kaif should have made it ahead of Yuvraj but Yuvraj is in good ATM. If yuvraj fails in the 1st test and Kaif does well in the practice match, then he should find a place for the second. Really, there is no one else kaif can replace.
There is no way Yuvraj will play the first test. It will be Laxman.

If Laxman fails badly, then Yuvraj will come in for the second test and unless he fails miserably (not even getting 30 runs in one of the innings) he will play the second test to0. Thus Kaif has been effectively kept out of the test series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Laxman is a MUST in the test side. So, I really don't see how Kaif or Yuvraj can get into the side anyway. I guess Kaif is a more organised player than Yuvi and therefore, is a better bet to succeed in test cricket, but, with Yuvi in seemingly better form, I think it was not such a bad idea, to get Kaif to play more domestic cricket and enable him to be in form whenever the need comes for him to step into the side.

And I really don't know why so many of you guys are in love with firing Sourav? He has not done badly in test cricket at all over the past two years....I think since the latter half of the West Indies tour in 2002, he has been in good form in test cricket, most of the time. He is not doing well in ODIs, but don't confuse that with test cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I think Laxman is a MUST in the test side. So, I really don't see how Kaif or Yuvraj can get into the side anyway. I guess Kaif is a more organised player than Yuvi and therefore, is a better bet to succeed in test cricket, but, with Yuvi in seemingly better form, I think it was not such a bad idea, to get Kaif to play more domestic cricket and enable him to be in form whenever the need comes for him to step into the side.

And I really don't know why so many of you guys are in love with firing Sourav? He has not done badly in test cricket at all over the past two years....I think since the latter half of the West Indies tour in 2002, he has been in good form in test cricket, most of the time. He is not doing well in ODIs, but don't confuse that with test cricket.
You are right about Laxman. It is a pity that we should again put him on test. Hope that fact alone will not be enough for him to be unable to play his natural game and lead to failure in the test and a 'hindsight-is-20:20-justification for those who want him dropped.

As far as Ganguly goes, he has certainly had decent years in 2003 and 2004. He had a below par time for three years prior to that. He is fine for tests.

It might not be such a bad idea to let Dravid lead in the one dayers. Will allow for some flexibility and Ganguly will probably bat at a place in the bating order where the team can make best use of him. He wil probably also be better used as a bowler. Last but not least, his fielding will not make him an embarrasement and a weak disciplinarian for others and , of course, he could be dropped without worying about what hapens to him as a test captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think so too. Having watched him struggle to bat anywhere but at the top order, I think Sourav would serve India the best by either getting better at batting at no.3 or 4 or by retiring from ODIs. I think he almost looks bewildered when he is batting in ODIs these days and his strike rate and average have taken a nosedive.

Deja moo

International Captain
honestbharani said:
I think so too. Having watched him struggle to bat anywhere but at the top order, I think Sourav would serve India the best by either getting better at batting at no.3 or 4 or by retiring from ODIs. I think he almost looks bewildered when he is batting in ODIs these days and his strike rate and average have taken a nosedive.

He has maintained an average of 37 over his last 20, 40 and 60 matches. I'd take him in the ODI team over Sehwag(33), Yuvraj(29), Kaif(30) anyday.

honestbharani said:
depends on the track. My gut feeling is that we will see 2 pacers and 2 spinners.
Yes 2 pacers and 2 spinners seems to be ideal combination.

Pakistani batsmen will first have to encounter the "baroda bombers" in IKP and ZK. I think IKP has the potential to take top 3 Pak wkts in his first spell, ZK can provide ideal support to IKP.

Just before the lunch Spin could be introduced, and Kumble and Bhajji will then have to display their art against the remaining Pak batsmen.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
He has maintained an average of 37 over his last 20, 40 and 60 matches. I'd take him in the ODI team over Sehwag(33), Yuvraj(29), Kaif(30) anyday.
Telling figures there!

Why is Khalil in Pak side?Rao could reverse swing and times made the batsmen hurry their strokes. Khalil is very ordinary, I doubt if he will get to play a match in the series.

Which bowlers and batsmen do you guys thing will dominate the comming series??

For India i think it will be,

Dravid and Sehwag....... IKP and Kumble.

For Pakistan

Inzamam and Butt......... No particular bowler, probably noone will be able to get more than 3 wkts in an innings

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Why is Khalil in Pak side?Rao could reverse swing and times made the batsmen hurry their strokes. Khalil is very ordinary, I doubt if he will get to play a match in the series.
In there for variety, I suppose - a swinging medium who complements the pace of Sami and Rana and the spin of Danish and Arshad. Doubtful he'll get a game without injury, though.

Sehwag309

Banned
SJS said:
There is no way Yuvraj will play the first test. It will be Laxman.

If Laxman fails badly, then Yuvraj will come in for the second test and unless he fails miserably (not even getting 30 runs in one of the innings) he will play the second test to0. Thus Kaif has been effectively kept out of the test series.
Actually yuvraj should play, he is in awesome touch (64* as of now in Duleep). Laxman on the other hand too made 55, but Yuvi is ahead in form (atleast domestic)

But the problem is, Yuvi is playing great at No.5/6, if he was scorimg these runs while opening then we could have squeezed in Laxman and Yuvraj

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as Ganguly goes, he has certainly had decent years in 2003 and 2004. He had a below par time for three years prior to that. He is fine for tests.

It might not be such a bad idea to let Dravid lead in the one dayers. Will allow for some flexibility and Ganguly will probably bat at a place in the bating order where the team can make best use of him. He wil probably also be better used as a bowler. Last but not least, his fielding will not make him an embarrasement and a weak disciplinarian for others and , of course, he could be dropped without worying about what hapens to him as a test captain.
Good one! If only there was a Trevor Hohns where he was needed...
Actually yuvraj should play, he is in awesome touch (64* as of now in Duleep). Laxman on the other hand too made 55, but Yuvi is ahead in form (atleast domestic)

But the problem is, Yuvi is playing great at No.5/6, if he was scorimg these runs while opening then we could have squeezed in Laxman and Yuvraj
Yuvraj got his century at a strike rate of over 85, which may be enough to get him in the side. However, he's not an opener and that idea is not worth trying again. They don't need another Hemang Badani- promising middle-order bat who failed as an opener and in every other Test innings lower down.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Deja moo said:
You are missing the point. Yuvi and Kaif both bat lower down and as such their averages have to be taken in that context. Sehwag has been extremely inconsistent, but because of his great form in tests, we are always giving him a chance. Sourav, on the other hand, has simply NOT looked the player he was, the moment he went lower down the order. And now, he is not even doing well as an openner. I know that Sachin is an awesome opener and he did great stuff for India as an opener in the WC 2003, but there is one negative aspect of it all........And it is that we have lost an awesome opener in Sourav. :( I don't think he will regain that touch in ODIs again. I hope I am wrong, but it is doubtful.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep bharani.. You are somewhat right.....
But the ideal batting Order should be
Sachin
Sehwag
Saurav\Dravid(Depending on the match situation...)
Yuvi
Kaif

Or perhaps we may try for a few games with saurav and sachin opening and sehwag at no 3...
What do u say folks...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am at college, so I don't know if it is on or not. But to the best of my knowledge, I think it is not LIVE on DD Sports.